Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241509 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2790 on: June 09, 2013, 07:35:09 pm »
I took one of my wives samples so I had six. 

i didnt know you were a polygamist

James Ford

« Reply #2791 on: June 09, 2013, 08:08:07 pm »
Good point. I never actually buy beer at music venues. I always find a cheaper, better option nearby and drink one there. Or drink one at home before I leave.

In the case of the ballpark, the ticket was free, so what the hell, one overpriced beer didn't bankrupt me. Hell, I had another one at the game today. My wife needs a beer to help get her through the boredom (to her) of the game. And if she's having one, hell I'm having one too.

So now we're bankrupt from those two ballpark beers.. i'll be taking a second job, and won't be posting on here as often. god bless.

One of them is more expensive than six.

Show me a pub with that kind of markup.

Have you been to the 930 club?

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #2792 on: June 09, 2013, 08:21:48 pm »
Had Maine Brewing Lunch IPA for the very first time. Excellent IPA and a great brew for a warm, humid day. My other purchase was Evil Twin's Imperial Biscotti Break. Really looking forward to trying this one out despite the fact I currently have an overabundance of barrel-aged stouts in my "cellar".

James Ford

« Reply #2793 on: June 09, 2013, 08:34:45 pm »
I wouldn't eat that shit if they were giving it away, so paying for it would be ludicrous, right?

Would it shock you if I said I haven't been to a movie theater in nearly six years, and I've never bought anything from the movie concessions stand in my life? Just bring your own.

You are one cheap bastard.

Anyway, I drank quite a bit of beer yesterday. 

Started off at Heavy Seas for the brewery tour.  Before you go in you pay 5 bucks and they give you a pint glass and 5 tokens for samples.  I took one of my wives samples so I had six. The owner of the place led the tour and was entertaining but their were too many people on the tour.  It looks like they are expanding for what its worth.  I have too say I am not a fan of their beers.  They taste pretty much the same. 

Here is what I sampled:

Heavy Seas - Small Craft Warning (Uber Pils)
   Loose Cannon (IPA) - Firkin
   Powder Monkey (English Pale Ale)
   Peg Leg (Imperial Stout)
        Gold Ale
   Cutlass (Amber Lager)

I would say the Loose Cannon IPA was the best of the lot.  Followed by the Peg Leg.  The others were too hoppy for their styles and tasted too similar to each other.

After the disappointing brews I headed too Ellicott City Brewing company for some better selections.

Had the Marzen, Dunkel, and Heifweizen.  I would say all 3 were superior to the Heavy Seas Beers.   The Dunkel was my least favorite. 

After that I walked around Ellicott City and then stopped in a bar and had  a Paulaner hefeweizen.  It was pretty tasty.  Those germans sure know beer.

So we were heading to a cook out and I went to Wine Bin in Ellicot city and they sell growlers that you can fill with one of their five beers on tap.  I chose Southern Tier Pale Wheat Ale.  It turned out to taste similar to some of the Heavy Seas beers.  Not the best.

I also got a six pack of Affligem Blonde which I also drank 3 of at the cook-out party.  This is tasty and if you like Belgium Blondes I would recommend this. 

A game of Beer Pong broke out and I drank some warm Miller High Life.  I can't explain how bad an experience this was.  I luckily switched team and the new partner had filled the cups with Lenkugel's Summer Shandy.  Basically lemonade Beer.  At this point I was just happy I wasn't drinking warm Miller. 

Yada

« Reply #2794 on: June 10, 2013, 09:02:28 am »
Had Maine Brewing Lunch IPA for the very first time. Excellent IPA and a great brew for a warm, humid day. My other purchase was Evil Twin's Imperial Biscotti Break. Really looking forward to trying this one out despite the fact I currently have an overabundance of barrel-aged stouts in my "cellar".

I was about to post about Lunch IPA as well... Bought a bottle $8 (a tad over priced I'd say), but quite delicious. Would drink again.

James Ford

« Reply #2795 on: June 10, 2013, 09:42:06 am »
That's a 500 ml (16.9 oz) bottle, right?

I was about to post about Lunch IPA as well... Bought a bottle $8 (a tad over priced I'd say), but quite delicious. Would drink again.

Yada

« Reply #2796 on: June 10, 2013, 10:39:39 am »
That's a 500 ml (16.9 oz) bottle, right?

Correct.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2797 on: June 10, 2013, 01:49:21 pm »
had a Flying Dog Double Dog Double Pale Ale this weekend.  very hoppy, surprising amount of malt flavor considering how pale it is.  you get some alcohol heat but not as much as the 11.5% abv probably should.  really enjoyable and surprisingly drinkable for such an extreme beer.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #2798 on: June 10, 2013, 02:03:14 pm »
Oh yeah, drank many Left Hand Milk Stouts over the weekend... and OTWOA on tap at Rustico. Yum!

atomicfront

« Reply #2799 on: June 10, 2013, 02:47:32 pm »
Oh on the Heavy Seas tour two people brought babies with them.  One of the babies cried the whole tour.  Why would you bring a baby to a brewery tour.  And this comes after friday night when I was at a pub with live music and someone at the table next to me had a baby that was crying the whole time.  Get a sitter or stay home.  Geez.

Anyway my next brewery tour is Flying Dog and I saw this and smiled:

All brewery tours and events are for those 21 or older. Please do not bring children.

slappy

« Reply #2800 on: June 10, 2013, 02:51:41 pm »
One of them is more expensive than six.

Show me a pub with that kind of markup.

I'll stick with sporting events since we're talking about them and not pubs.
A can of Molson will cost you $13 at the St. Pete Times Forum (now Tampa Bay Times Forum). Bottled water is $5.

James Ford

« Reply #2801 on: June 10, 2013, 02:59:24 pm »
My five year old actually asked me if we could go on the Dogfish tour the next time we go to the beach.

She went on the Heavy Seas tour when she was two or three and sketched in her sketch book the whole time.

And as I said before, she's been fine in breweries and pubs in the US and around the world.

It really depends on the kid. Some are very well behaved and can handle it, some are complete shitshows. It also probably helps to only have one.

Oh on the Heavy Seas tour two people brought babies with them.  One of the babies cried the whole tour.  Why would you bring a baby to a brewery tour.  And this comes after friday night when I was at a pub with live music and someone at the table next to me had a baby that was crying the whole time.  Get a sitter or stay home.  Geez.

All brewery tours and events are for those 21 or older. Please do not bring children.

atomicfront

« Reply #2802 on: June 10, 2013, 03:16:08 pm »
My five year old actually asked me if we could go on the Dogfish tour the next time we go to the beach.

She went on the Heavy Seas tour when she was two or three and sketched in her sketch book the whole time.

And as I said before, she's been fine in breweries and pubs in the US and around the world.

It really depends on the kid. Some are very well behaved and can handle it, some are complete shitshows. It also probably helps to only have one.

There is a difference between five year olds and babies.  Don't bring a baby to a bar or a brewery tour.  Well I know some five year olds that have no business being on a brewery tour. 

James Ford

« Reply #2803 on: June 10, 2013, 04:11:15 pm »
I also think time of day (like before 7pm) and nature of establishment (is it a bar only or a restaurant with a bar) should factor in the decision as well. Also, baby carriers (strapping them to you) and breastfeeding help keep the baby quiet.

There is a difference between five year olds and babies.  Don't bring a baby to a bar or a brewery tour.  Well I know some five year olds that have no business being on a brewery tour. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2804 on: June 10, 2013, 04:38:53 pm »
beer gets me tipsy quicker.  does that happen with age.  my age, not the beers age.