Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241424 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3300 on: August 18, 2013, 09:59:57 pm »
I had Heady Topper with dinner. It was ok.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:01:33 pm by James Ford »

James Ford

« Reply #3301 on: August 18, 2013, 10:00:46 pm »
what is fat tire pumperkick?

if you go to zoos, or support zoos . . . then i should be able to take your family and children from you, put them in cages, and stare at them for my amusement.  fuck zoos.

I loathe zoos.

Zoos are cool..it is the slaughterhouses which are bad.  I find it funny that we have a bacon thread on here and no one has a problem with that but  zoos are wrong.

I had allagash dubbel and fat tire pumperkick tonight.  Both were ok.

atomicfront

« Reply #3302 on: August 19, 2013, 12:00:52 am »
what is fat tire pumperkick?

if you go to zoos, or support zoos . . . then i should be able to take your family and children from you, put them in cages, and stare at them for my amusement.  fuck zoos.

I loathe zoos.

Zoos are cool..it is the slaughterhouses which are bad.  I find it funny that we have a bacon thread on here and no one has a problem with that but  zoos are wrong.

I meant new Belgium pumpkIck

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3303 on: August 19, 2013, 12:30:11 am »
last night hit up churchkey for bell's black note, bourbon cherry stout, and batch 9000.  all beers were delicious.  black note... that beer rules.  it was a zoo.

also went to smoke and barrel last night.  nothing blew me away. it was a zoo.

wanna know how big a zoo those two places were?  i was at both, at the same time as stevewizzle, looking for him, and couldn't find him.

due to an unexpected turn of events at work last thursday, i was at Churchkey by 5:30.  had an Allagash Confluence, a belgian/brett dry-hopped golden ale - recommended.  thanks to my early arrival, at about 6:05 i had in hand a bourbon barrel-aged Batch 9000, and a Black Note.  i wasn't paying attention when the server told me which was which (both are pitch black) so i had to take a sip of each to ID them.  and that sip of 9000 blew out my taste buds.  that was by far the most intense beer i have ever tried.  bar none.  after a single sip, i could barely taste the Black Note which is no slouch in intensity.  i got the amazing mouthfeel of the BN but very little of its flavors.  i left CK entirely satisfied, and a little bit tipsy. 

i dropped by a member of the DC Homebrewers Club who was moving to CA.  for an absolute pittance i walked out of there with a sizable haul of brewing gear, grains and hops.  as if my palette wasn't blown out enough, i spent an hour there drinking his delightful flanders red.  i let with a growler of 80% kolsch/20% flanders, a delightful mix that even my non-beer-loving BiL has been chugging all weekend.

i walked from Petworth to Adams Morgan stopping at Pete's Pizza in Columbia Heights.  their slices were quite nice and they have $8 delirium.

i probably didn't need to stop into the Smoke and Barrel, but i did anyways.  people looked at me funny as i walked in carrying buckets, carboys, and other assorted gear from the brewer's fire sale.  i had the yakuza but didn't enjoy it nearly as much as i probably should have.  the sorachi ace hops couldn't cut through.  i had a bourbon black that fared better, but half-way through i had to throw in the towel and make my way home... i feared the consequence of finishing that glass.

stevewizzle, i looked for you at the CK and S&B and didn't see you anywhere.  admittedly i spent most of my time at the S&B downstairs but i walked around upstairs twice.  i'm not surprised that i didn't see you at CK, the were at least 5 bodies between me and the bar.  i assume you were somewhere in there.

in a turn of events that i could have been predicted, i bumped into thedirector on the metro.  it was one of those nights.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #3304 on: August 19, 2013, 08:43:31 am »
I've made a goal of not drinking any ghastly pumpkin beers this year...and they ALL are ghastly. I also typically don't drink Octoberfest beers. I do for some reason like Dogfish Indian Brown in the Fall. And we'll definitely be drinking our two cases of Heady.

But what else should we drink as the weather gets cooler?

Yada

« Reply #3305 on: August 19, 2013, 09:01:19 am »
I've made a goal of not drinking any ghastly pumpkin beers this year...and they ALL are ghastly. I also typically don't drink Octoberfest beers. I do for some reason like Dogfish Indian Brown in the Fall. And we'll definitely be drinking our two cases of Heady.

I agree... is there a more terrible beer than Pumpkin flavored beer?? Also, why are these being released in August?

When I'm not drinking Heady these days, I find myself enjoying 21st Amendment's Marooned on Hog Island Stoudt. 

James Ford

« Reply #3306 on: August 19, 2013, 09:20:33 am »
Pumking was actually first out here in VA this year in July.

imbecile

« Reply #3307 on: August 19, 2013, 09:26:06 am »

I loathe zoos.

You guys are painting with too wide a brush when it comes to zoos.  I volunteer at our zoo, so I'm surely biased, but there are no less than 50 animals there that were injured in the wild and would be dead if it weren't for the zoo, as they're incapable of surviving in the wild.  Having a second chance at life, and living on average 10 years longer than you would in the wild is a pretty good deal for these animals.  Other ones, like the Columbus zoo which are really hands on and theme-parky, which don't seem to have great control over animals diets and well-being and their best interest are easy to not like.

Speaking of Columbus, i was able to make it Columbus Brewery and try the Bodhi.  Also tracked down the White Rajah from Brew Kettle.  Both were quite delicious.  Thanks again for the recommendation.   

James Ford

« Reply #3308 on: August 19, 2013, 09:31:47 am »
Thanks for the positive feedback on zoos. As a meat avoiding vegetarian, I always feel a little hypocritical taking my kid to a zoo.

Also glad that you got to enjoy those two great Ohio IPA's. Hoping I can score some when I'm out on that section of country in December.

atomicfront

« Reply #3309 on: August 19, 2013, 09:43:25 am »

I agree... is there a more terrible beer than Pumpkin flavored beer?? Also, why are these being released in August?

When I'm not drinking Heady these days, I find myself enjoying 21st Amendment's Marooned on Hog Island Stoudt. 

Yeah double IPA's are much worse than Pumpkin beer.  Punkin from Dogfish Head is good.  I guess the beers are released early so they get to the stores in time for fall.  They can't be using fresh pumpkin. 

I like Marzens. 

fatskippy

« Reply #3310 on: August 19, 2013, 11:43:29 am »
I went to the Flying Dog event at Smoke & Barrel Friday night. They were debuting The Truth, a year-round double IPA. I'm not usually a Flying Dog fan, only went there for the BBQ, but I was very impressed. I will be picking up a 6 pack whenever it hits stores.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:50:39 am by fatskippy »

stevewizzle

« Reply #3311 on: August 19, 2013, 12:15:50 pm »
stevewizzle, i looked for you at the CK and S&B and didn't see you anywhere.  admittedly i spent most of my time at the S&B downstairs but i walked around upstairs twice.  i'm not surprised that i didn't see you at CK, the were at least 5 bodies between me and the bar.  i assume you were somewhere in there.

in a turn of events that i could have been predicted, i bumped into thedirector on the metro.  it was one of those nights.

HA! i was wondering what was up... i didn't expect to see you at CK, we got there at 630, i had beers pre-ordered from a friend, drank them, and left maybe 20 minutes later.  some unknown hero handed us a full pour of the cherry stout.  that batch 9000 was fucking great.  it was worth the hectic scene.

and S&B, that place rules, and I love going there (i think i've been at least once a week for the past two months?), but they moved around tables weird that night and it made it way too packed near the bar.  we ended up getting a table later on after 830, which made it a bit easier. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #3312 on: August 19, 2013, 12:22:39 pm »
growler and julius update.

i went out to tree house brewing company on saturday. between me and my buddy, we snagged seven 750ml growler fills, three of them being julius.  first, let me describe how fucking awesome this place is.

tree house is a nano-brewer i believe (5 barrel system), and they have four drafts constantly available.  the tree house exists, but the brew area is in a shed basically in some dudes back yard.  the place is stunningly gorgeous, the people were all incredibly friendly, and the beer was fantastic.  we put in our growler orders, and waited about 45 minutes for them to be filled.  they have a beautiful seating area, a small pond, and a gazebo and everyone kind of hangs out playing cards or whatever, talking to the brewers (while they brew!), or eating a lunch they packed.  record player spinning in the growler shop.  this is basically james ford's heaven.

the beer... i had tornado, that's what she said, and julius.  all three were great, that's what she said was a perfect milk stout, and tornado was an okay IPA, but julius.  holy shit julius.  that is the best beer i've ever drank.

and in regards to the growlers. i drank a julius immediately, i let tornado sit for 24 hours after i opened it and it went flat, and i packed the third julius growler in my luggage and plan to consume it tonight.

Yada

« Reply #3313 on: August 19, 2013, 12:46:52 pm »
growler and julius update.

i went out to tree house brewing company on saturday. between me and my buddy, we snagged seven 750ml growler fills, three of them being julius.  first, let me describe how fucking awesome this place is.

tree house is a nano-brewer i believe (5 barrel system), and they have four drafts constantly available.  the tree house exists, but the brew area is in a shed basically in some dudes back yard.  the place is stunningly gorgeous, the people were all incredibly friendly, and the beer was fantastic.  we put in our growler orders, and waited about 45 minutes for them to be filled.  they have a beautiful seating area, a small pond, and a gazebo and everyone kind of hangs out playing cards or whatever, talking to the brewers (while they brew!), or eating a lunch they packed.  record player spinning in the growler shop.  this is basically james ford's heaven.

the beer... i had tornado, that's what she said, and julius.  all three were great, that's what she said was a perfect milk stout, and tornado was an okay IPA, but julius.  holy shit julius.  that is the best beer i've ever drank.

and in regards to the growlers. i drank a julius immediately, i let tornado sit for 24 hours after i opened it and it went flat, and i packed the third julius growler in my luggage and plan to consume it tonight.

Sounds awesome. I can't say I'll ever be in that area but if so... I'll definitely check that out.

Also, atomicfront recommends keeping your growler for a month for maximum freshness. LOL

James Ford

« Reply #3314 on: August 19, 2013, 12:48:46 pm »
Hey Stevewizzle (or anybody else),

Are there any public transporation accessible breweries to visit in the Boston area between Sunday and Wednesday? Planner that I am, I'm thinking ahead to a business trip in 2014. Sam and Harpoon are obvious choices, but maybe there are others? (Think Jack's Abbey is too far out, and wrong days)

JF