Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241438 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4245 on: February 14, 2014, 04:16:34 pm »
Nice little draft list this weekend at Perfect Pour...I wonder what the cost of BCBS is?

Celebrate Valentine's Day with Growlers Not Flowers!

pic.twitter.com/1jzlRFzwu6

James Ford

« Reply #4246 on: February 14, 2014, 04:25:32 pm »
My local Whole Foods got a keg of Hopslam. This particular WF does growlers only. But they are holding off tapping it "because we're low on growlers".

Don't most people have growlers already? Geez Louise, let's let the beer get old because we don't have enough growlers to sell.

James Ford

« Reply #4247 on: February 14, 2014, 04:35:23 pm »
Probably way more than it should be, but less than the two Struise beers.

Nice little draft list this weekend at Perfect Pour...I wonder what the cost of BCBS is?

Celebrate Valentine's Day with Growlers Not Flowers!

pic.twitter.com/1jzlRFzwu6

atomic

« Reply #4248 on: February 14, 2014, 04:44:54 pm »
Drank a Piercing Pils from Dogfish Head last night.  Waitress told me it was a Pilsner.  It was not.  Too much hops.  Fail. 

Union Craft is so much better than any of the other local brewers.  The only brewer that actually knows how to brew different styles of beer and does it well.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4249 on: February 14, 2014, 05:00:54 pm »
Ermm, I think piercing pils is a czech pilsner with adjuncts.  It sounds like you got exactly what you ordered, didn't like it, and are now blaming the brewer.  Sorry you had to pay $10 for this lesson.  Thats part of the joy of trying  new things.  Maybe you'd be better off sticking to what you know...less disappointment that way.

From BA:

The Czech Pilsner, or sometimes known as the Bohemian Pilsner, is light straw to golden color and crystal clear. Hops are very prevalent usually with a spicy bitterness and or a spicy floral flavor and aroma, notably one of the defining characteristics of the Saaz hop. Smooth and crisp with a clean malty palate, many are grassy. Some of the originals will show some archaic yeast characteristics similar to very mild buttery or fusel (rose like alcohol) flavors and aromas.

atomic

« Reply #4250 on: February 14, 2014, 05:14:02 pm »
Ermm, I think piercing pils is a czech pilsner with adjuncts.  It sounds like you got exactly what you ordered, didn't like it, and are now blaming the brewer.  Sorry you had to pay $10 for this lesson.  Thats part of the joy of trying  new things.  Maybe you'd be better off sticking to what you know...less disappointment that way.

From BA:

The Czech Pilsner, or sometimes known as the Bohemian Pilsner, is light straw to golden color and crystal clear. Hops are very prevalent usually with a spicy bitterness and or a spicy floral flavor and aroma, notably one of the defining characteristics of the Saaz hop. Smooth and crisp with a clean malty palate, many are grassy. Some of the originals will show some archaic yeast characteristics similar to very mild buttery or fusel (rose like alcohol) flavors and aromas.

The waitress didn't charge me for the beer so it didn't cost me anything. I drank it.  She said it was a Pilsner before I ordered.  She didn't go into details about its type.

Yada

« Reply #4251 on: February 14, 2014, 05:14:37 pm »
Drank a Piercing Pils from Dogfish Head last night.  Waitress told me it was a Pilsner.  It was not.  Too much hops.  Fail. 

Union Craft is so much better than any of the other local brewers.  The only brewer that actually knows how to brew different styles of beer and does it well.

I've had that pils and can't say I found it hoppy at all... probably the second best beer Dogfish Head makes imo.

atomic

« Reply #4252 on: February 14, 2014, 05:20:09 pm »

I've had that pils and can't say I found it hoppy at all... probably the second best beer Dogfish Head makes imo.

Yada:

Shit taste in beer - check

Yada

« Reply #4253 on: February 14, 2014, 05:35:20 pm »

Yada:

atomic

« Reply #4254 on: February 14, 2014, 05:45:11 pm »

Yada:

Cute photo.  Those kids look very happy. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4255 on: February 15, 2014, 12:20:41 am »

From BA:

pilsner is by definition a bitter and hoppy style.  it's the hoppiest of all lagers.  and really, PP clocks in at 35 IBUs... is this in relation to something idiotic that a'front said?

from the BJCP (AKA the people who define beer styles):
Aroma: Rich with complex malt and a spicy, floral Saaz hop bouquet. Flavor: Rich, complex maltiness combined with a pronounced yet soft and rounded bitterness and spicy flavor from Saaz hops. Bitterness is prominent... (http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style02.php#1b)
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4256 on: February 15, 2014, 12:34:08 am »
I had a Hopslam on Wednesday as my bi-annually consumed beer. It was less hoppy than I recall.

agreed.  couldn't bring myself to spend 27.99 + DC tax on a sixer, but they also had singles for 4.99 so i grabbed one just to say that i tasted this year's batch.  my tasting notes:

bottled on 1/21, so a little over 3 weeks old
initial impression: interesting mix of bitter and sweet
with a few more sips, sweetness overpowers the bitterness so it's not crazy bitter (despite the reputation)
aroma was decent but underwhelming
complex hop layering - nice.  i'm getting some chinook in there, and not much simcoe despite what beels said (maybe 3 weeks is enough for the aroma hops to drop out?)
hint of hot alcohol
strangely enough this beer became less interesting as it warmed.  aroma receded, bitterness became softer, mouthfeel became spongy - overall, became quite similar to ranger IIPA
respectable IIPA with an interesting twist (sweetness) but not mind-blowing
glad that i only bought a single, and instead of a full pack and instead of a full pack i got 2 packs of Founders Breakfast Stout.
<sig>

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #4257 on: February 16, 2014, 11:07:42 am »
Don't most people have growlers already?

I don't.  Should I?

Living in MD is such a buzzkill.  That Perfect Pour Valentine's Day line up would have been a good way to get introduced to Growlers.  Not sure anywhere else around here makes it worthwhile.  Most of the shops I go to in DC don't sell them.

James Ford

« Reply #4258 on: February 16, 2014, 12:02:23 pm »
Try this growler offer from Whole Foods P Street. $8 gets you the 32 oz growler and up to $10 worth of beer. About 2/3 of the way down the page.

http://realdeal.washingtoncitypaper.com/deals/all/3

I don't.  Should I?

Living in MD is such a buzzkill.  That Perfect Pour Valentine's Day line up would have been a good way to get introduced to Growlers.  Not sure anywhere else around here makes it worthwhile.  Most of the shops I go to in DC don't sell them.

Yada

« Reply #4259 on: February 16, 2014, 01:18:59 pm »

I don't.  Should I?

I guess it depends on your style of drinking. If you're purchasing a growler be ready to drink 64oz of beer within a day or two or have a few friends over to drink it all with you.

Regarding MD, yes, the laws are quite lame. Cool places like Perfect Pour will actually trade you one of their growlers for whatever growler you bring in, but unfortunately most places in MD make you purchase a growler from them unlike in DC (and most places in general) you can bring a growler in from anywhere for a refill.