Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241391 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4500 on: May 06, 2014, 05:19:21 pm »
Looking at beer is like smelling music.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4501 on: May 06, 2014, 05:59:58 pm »
Looking at beer is like smelling music.

i gotta disagree.  visual assessment of a beer will impact what is tasted.  there have been numerous studies that compared taster's feedback on a beer where half the drinkers got the original light-colored version, while the other half had the same beer that was darkened with a tasteless colorant.  the "darker beer" was rated as maltier, heavier, boozier, more intense, etc... even though its taste was identical to the lighter version.

an issue that homebrewers face is that few filter their beers, so they are often (but not always) cloudier than commercial beers.  i've seen people go so far as to refuse to try a homebrew because "it's too cloudy."  how's that for affecting your appreciation of a beer!  could have been the best thing they've ever tasted, but because of its appearance they won't even give it a try.

when i started brewing, i didn't care about appearance - it's all about the taste, right?  i've since come to appreciate the impact that the eyes have on taste, and have been putting some effort into making the beer look good.  plus, it's an extra thing to geek out on ;D

aside: part of the appeal of black IPAs, in my opinion, is the visual disconnect that they create in the drinkers mind.  "a dark beer that doesn't taste too roasty?  and it's hoppy like all those light-colored IPAs???" 
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4502 on: May 06, 2014, 06:58:05 pm »
Yeah, but what do your labels look like?

James Ford

« Reply #4503 on: May 06, 2014, 07:16:37 pm »
I don't think I notice the labels that much. But I will say Founders>Bell's for beer and label art.

I like the Maine Beer Company labels.

The one time I bought  a beer because I liked the label, the beer was terrible.

Yada

« Reply #4504 on: May 07, 2014, 09:09:20 am »
The Firestone Walker Keg Party at CK was quite awesome... and maybe with the addition of multiple other above average beers bars in the city, CK will start to become a comfy place to hang out at. I arrived at 5:30 and we had three seats at the bar. By the time we left around 8pm, the bar area still wasn't packed at all.

James Ford

« Reply #4505 on: May 07, 2014, 10:17:36 am »
Did they have Sucaba? I didn't see it on the list.

The Firestone Walker Keg Party at CK was quite awesome... and maybe with the addition of multiple other above average beers bars in the city, CK will start to become a comfy place to hang out at. I arrived at 5:30 and we had three seats at the bar. By the time we left around 8pm, the bar area still wasn't packed at all.

Yada

« Reply #4506 on: May 07, 2014, 10:27:26 am »
Did they have Sucaba? I didn't see it on the list.

Negative.

slappy

« Reply #4507 on: May 07, 2014, 11:00:51 am »
I don't think I notice the labels that much. But I will say Founders>Bell's for beer and label art.

I like the Maine Beer Company labels.

The one time I bought  a beer because I liked the label, the beer was terrible.

Good one! I've yet to have a remarkable 21st Amendment but they've got cool art.
Same with Left Hand and Great Divide. I really was hoping to like Good JuJu when started popping up a few summers ago on the inclusion of ginger. It was very pedestrian.

James Ford

« Reply #4508 on: May 07, 2014, 01:13:45 pm »
I'm guessing it wasn't full because they had the same beers on at Pizza Paradiso in Dupont for half price ($4.50 Parabola, Double DBA, and Sucaba which was missing at Churchkey). Probably a third of the CK price.

Still have some left there, apparently.

atomic

« Reply #4509 on: May 07, 2014, 01:20:52 pm »
I bet my wife's Whole Foods stock is a better bet than InBev. Please buy your InBev beer at Whole Foods.

Oh wait, the nanny state of Maryland doesn't allow beer sales in supermarkets. Stupid Maryland.

Whole Foods down 19 percent today.  It might be a good time for your wife to .  buy more stock.  Get at a bargain.  It is funny after you posted this Whole Foods has nose dived while InBev has kept going up.  Whole Foods was way overpriced at the time.  Still overpriced.  I might buy if it drops another 30 percent. Seems like a good company.  Almost no Debt and good ROIC. Lot of competition but their stores are still packed.

James Ford

« Reply #4510 on: May 07, 2014, 01:27:52 pm »
Honestly, I don't know shit about the stock market. I have my 401K in some kind of combined 20 and 30 year fund that grows more conservatively over time. I have the VA 529 College Fund for my kid. Both are doing great over the last couple of years.

My wife manages her own stock stuff. I pay no attention. She also has Target stock. How are they doing?

I bet my wife's Whole Foods stock is a better bet than InBev. Please buy your InBev beer at Whole Foods.

Oh wait, the nanny state of Maryland doesn't allow beer sales in supermarkets. Stupid Maryland.

Whole Foods down 19 percent today.  It might be a good time for your wife to .  buy more stock.  Get at a bargain.  It is funny after you posted this Whole Foods has nose dived while InBev has kept going up.  Whole Foods was way overpriced at the time.  Still overpriced.  I might buy if it drops another 30 percent. Seems like a good company.  Almost no Debt and good ROIC. Lot of competition but their stores are still packed.

Yada

« Reply #4511 on: May 07, 2014, 01:50:20 pm »
I'm guessing it wasn't full because they had the same beers on at Pizza Paradiso in Dupont for half price ($4.50 Parabola, Double DBA, and Sucaba which was missing at Churchkey). Probably a third of the CK price.

I doubt the cost is the reason and I also doubt Paradiso was selling 10oz pours for $4.50.

James Ford

« Reply #4512 on: May 07, 2014, 01:56:21 pm »
9 ounces, $4.50. Sucaba wasn't on the original draft list but somehow they slipped it in there.

Firestone Walker Parabola 13.0 9oz. Draft $9.00
Firestone Walker Sucaba 13.0 9oz. Draft $9.00

1/2priced drafts from 5-7pm.

The Draft List:

Firestone Walker DBA
 Firestone Walker Double DBA
 Firestone Walker Easy Jack
 Firestone Walker Opal
 Firestone Walker Parabola
 Firestone Walker Union Jack
 Flying Dog Barrel Aged Gonzo
 Flying Dog Bloodline
 Flying Dog Easy IPA
 Flying Dog K9
 Flying Dog Single Hop Amarillo
 Flying Dog The Truth

No Reservations needed.  All beers priced individually. 1/2priced drafts from 5-7pm.- See more at: http://www.eatyourpizza.com/#sthash.F1wlX0Ii.dpuf

I doubt the cost is the reason and I also doubt Paradiso was selling 10oz pours for $4.50.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4513 on: May 07, 2014, 01:59:16 pm »
American Beer Classic
RFK Stadium
July 12 , 2014
American Beer Classic is the ultimate opportunity to celebrate and experience America?s finest beers. Sample and learn from a diverse lineup of breweries while connecting with other beer enthusiasts.
www.americanbeerclassic.com
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #4514 on: May 07, 2014, 02:02:50 pm »
9 ounces, $4.50. Sucaba wasn't on the original draft list but somehow they slipped it in there.

Firestone Walker Parabola 13.0 9oz. Draft $9.00
Firestone Walker Sucaba 13.0 9oz. Draft $9.00

1/2priced drafts from 5-7pm.

The Draft List:

Firestone Walker DBA
 Firestone Walker Double DBA
 Firestone Walker Easy Jack
 Firestone Walker Opal
 Firestone Walker Parabola
 Firestone Walker Union Jack
 Flying Dog Barrel Aged Gonzo
 Flying Dog Bloodline
 Flying Dog Easy IPA
 Flying Dog K9
 Flying Dog Single Hop Amarillo
 Flying Dog The Truth

No Reservations needed.  All beers priced individually. 1/2priced drafts from 5-7pm.- See more at: http://www.eatyourpizza.com/#sthash.F1wlX0Ii.dpuf

I still don't think price has anything to do with it. I don't go to Paradiso out of convenience and the size of their bar. It's a great place if you get there early, but otherwise, you're pretty much screwed for comfort.