Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241422 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4890 on: September 26, 2014, 06:43:18 pm »

Is that breast pump I see in the background
is there a mini-yada rolling around the house?

That sir is a piece to a breast pump!

stevewizzle

« Reply #4891 on: September 27, 2014, 12:57:50 pm »
it's the most wonderful time of the year: fresh hop season

off to go drink a couple cowiche canyons over at bottleworks and buy all the fresh hop beers i can find.  joy!

fresh hop beers so far...

reubens  >  fremont  > fort george

it's still early, but the reuben's fresh hop beer is incredible. and if any of you are so inclined to trade for your beers, you should absolutely be putting out an ISO for reuben's fresh hop amarillo.

James Ford

« Reply #4892 on: September 30, 2014, 02:05:28 pm »
We had airline vouchers that we converted into free flights to Tampa. Daughter had a three day weekend, so we did the "48 hours in Tampa/St Petersburg" The water this time of year was awesome, the beer down there equally awesome. We went to:

1. Cigar City Brewpub (Tampa): Food was pretty good, not great. Fresh Jai Alai (oddly it's better in a can), and a couple of interesting stouts we paired with dessert.

2. 7venth Sun Brewing (Dunedin): Charming small tasting room with cool (bluegrass) music and an interesting variety of beers, all done well.

3. Rapp Brewing (Seminole): Damn, these guys do some interesting German beers. Their gose, lichtenheiner, and Berliner weisse were all spot on (all highly rated on BA). They also did a chocolate peanut butter stout (that received rave reviews) that tasted like it was out of the Southern Tier catalog. Also played an awesome mix of music...lots of GErman Oktoberfest music mixed with bluegrass, and "Freebird" played entirely on violin...loved it.

4. Peg's Cantina (Gulfport): Beer brewered by Cycle Brewing...excellent citra IPA and Berliner weisse, and the best food (tacos) we had the whole time.

5. Cigar City Tasting room (Tampa): less than 10 min drive from airport, perfect last stop before returning the rental car. These guys seem to do all styles very well! More variety than the brewpub. They also have a separate brewpub in the airport (they actually make the beer at the airport!), but we didn't go.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4893 on: September 30, 2014, 02:10:06 pm »
it's weird how FL has become berliner central...  good for them, i guess!
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #4894 on: September 30, 2014, 02:15:31 pm »
That and the gose seem perfect for the Florida heat. Would hate to drink a barrel aged stout in that weather.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4895 on: September 30, 2014, 02:40:50 pm »

tillamook oregon begs to differ.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4896 on: September 30, 2014, 03:42:46 pm »
i found this sculpin stuff.  expensive per six pack.  i dont know anything about it.  so i bought it.  and i put it in my basement.  so i can look at it and wonder if it is good.

Yada

« Reply #4897 on: September 30, 2014, 03:46:27 pm »
i found this sculpin stuff.  expensive per six pack.  i dont know anything about it.  so i bought it.  and i put it in my basement.  so i can look at it and wonder if it is good.

No point in keeping that around, Sir Walky.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4898 on: September 30, 2014, 03:48:43 pm »
so it is no good, or it does not store well?  sir walky . . . i like that.  i like sir walky of meowtown, better.

Yada

« Reply #4899 on: September 30, 2014, 03:51:24 pm »
so it is no good, or it does not store well?  sir walky . . . i like that.  i like sir walky of meowtown, better.

You don't store IPAs, sir.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4900 on: September 30, 2014, 03:53:12 pm »
oh silly putty.  thank you for your beer knowledge.  looks like drinks are on me(ow).

but wait a minute, part,ner . . .  i store 120 minutes.

« Reply #4901 on: September 30, 2014, 05:21:14 pm »
you keep Matt Pinfield in your basement?
slack

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4902 on: September 30, 2014, 07:31:10 pm »
good, one

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4903 on: October 01, 2014, 10:36:02 am »

tillamook oregon begs to differ.

tillamook has one BW brewery.  as awesome as De Garde's beers are (supposedly, never had the pleasure), that doesn't make them "berliner central" in my books.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4904 on: October 01, 2014, 10:40:57 am »
oh silly putty.  thank you for your beer knowledge.  looks like drinks are on me(ow).

but wait a minute, part,ner . . .  i store 120 minutes.

yes, you want to drink IPAs as fresh as possible.  store those sculpins in the fridge until you have a chance to enjoy, that will help preserve them.  it's not like you need to guzzle them all down tonight, but don't wait on them to improve.  they are at their best right now.

120 isn't a typical IPA... it's more of a barleywine.  actually it's a unique "extreme beer" to which the usual rules don't apply.  at 18% ABV or more (i.e. WAY out of the range of an IPA or even IIPA/DIPA) you need to let that thing sit for the alcohol to cool down, and for the absurd amount of hops to mellow out a little.  you can drink 120 fresh but it's a bracing experience.  
<sig>