Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241432 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5475 on: May 20, 2015, 03:57:28 pm »
Backwoods, bastard, or, fuck, off.

Got about six or eight of BB sitting in the cellar. I only have one Fremont beer. (Abominable). So Fremont it would be, if i were there.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5476 on: May 20, 2015, 03:59:07 pm »
I paid about 50 cents an ounce for KBS in a bottle, and about 75 cents an ounce for Parabola in a bottle. I might give Parabola a slight edge in a head to head tasting, but if KBS isn't worth the price, then neither is Parabola, to me.  ;D
you paid $6 for KBS?  it was a dime under $10 at WF in DC, so 82 cents an ounce.  Parabola worked out to 95 cents - not much of a difference.  i definitely prefer it to KBS and it was easier to find.  winner: parabola.

and it's not just the price, it's price + effort.  i don't care if they're giving away KBS if i have to run around the city and stand in long lines to get it.  so going on price alone doesn't paint the right picture.

wait, what the hell just happened to me... since when do i price my beer by the ounce?!?  damn you, charlie.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #5477 on: May 20, 2015, 08:12:04 pm »
I paid about 50 cents an ounce for KBS in a bottle, and about 75 cents an ounce for Parabola in a bottle. I might give Parabola a slight edge in a head to head tasting, but if KBS isn't worth the price, then neither is Parabola, to me.  ;D
you paid $6 for KBS?  it was a dime under $10 at WF in DC, so 82 cents an ounce.  Parabola worked out to 95 cents - not much of a difference.  i definitely prefer it to KBS and it was easier to find.  winner: parabola.

and it's not just the price, it's price + effort.  i don't care if they're giving away KBS if i have to run around the city and stand in long lines to get it.  so going on price alone doesn't paint the right picture.

wait, what the hell just happened to me... since when do i price my beer by the ounce?!?  damn you, charlie.

This year's haul:

KBS:
one four pack @ $21.99
three singles @$5.99 each
was easy to get since i was on vacation

Parabola:
one bottle @$14.99
easy to get since my wife works on FW delivery day at Whole Foods a mile away
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:14:08 pm by Space Freely »

Space Freely

« Reply #5478 on: May 26, 2015, 08:47:43 am »
I'm generally pretty underwhelmed by the breweries in NoVA, but I went to Ocelot on Sterling over the weekend, and they're pretty damn impressive for only having been open two months. Best brewery in NoVA already, maybe (?) the entire DMV.

Space Freely

« Reply #5479 on: May 26, 2015, 08:49:21 am »
i'm somewhat obsessive about my hobbies.  for the past few years, brewing has been my only hobby.  i read a lot and listen to a lot of podcasts...

avery raspberry sour: really solid beer.  good amount of pucker-power, raspberries are evident.  not sure i'd pay $16 + tax for another bottle, but if it was $10 like they seem to be going for out west i'd get a case.  i would drink it now, vs. aging it.

also tried the victory kirsche gose last night - what a great summer beer.  just a hint of tartness to make it refreshing.  i can see myself crushing several of those on a hot day.  the missus, who hates sour beer, really liked it - in fact she walked off with my glass, i had to pour myself another one. unprecedented.  

and i was never solely a cream ale drinker... just so happened my fav beer for a long time was a cream ale (Sleeman cream ale).  off to do finish the second half of that raspberry sour ;D

I had a glass of the Raspberry Sour from Avery. Two thumbs up on that one. And then took home a 32 oz growler of it for $11. Wish I had gotten two growlers of it for that price.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5480 on: May 26, 2015, 09:01:12 am »
Wish I had gotten two growlers of it for that price.
Don't growlers go bad fairly quickly? 64oz of beer would last you and the Misses approximately 8 weeks.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #5481 on: May 26, 2015, 10:34:01 am »
Wish I had gotten two growlers of it for that price.
Don't growlers go bad fairly quickly? 64oz of beer would last you and the Misses approximately 8 weeks.

Good points. We drink a little more on select weekends. :) Between us, we can handle 32 ozs of 7% beer over the course of a day, when they need arises.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5482 on: May 26, 2015, 10:41:20 am »
I had a glass of the Raspberry Sour from Avery. Two thumbs up on that one. And then took home a 32 oz growler of it for $11. Wish I had gotten two growlers of it for that price.

I've never understood the use of the thumbs up / thumbs down rating system.  Its just as useless as a pass fail, unless you throw in the one thumb up / one thumb down rating.  Or maybe you excitedly extend your thumbs, then move your hands up and down for emphasis.

You know what would be great?  If somehow you could change the color of your thumbs, depending on how much you liked something (or disliked it).  Like green for good and red for bad.  Or maybe the size.  If you kinda liked something, your thumbs could double in size, but if you really liked it, they'd balloon up to like 10x their normal size.

Yeah, thumbs don't really cut it here.  How does it actually compare to other American Wild Ales?  Is it better if you dip your thumb in and suck it off?

Space Freely

« Reply #5483 on: May 28, 2015, 11:35:19 am »

I've never understood the use of the thumbs up / thumbs down rating system.  Its just as useless as a pass fail, unless you throw in the one thumb up / one thumb down rating.  Or maybe you excitedly extend your thumbs, then move your hands up and down for emphasis.

You know what would be great?  If somehow you could change the color of your thumbs, depending on how much you liked something (or disliked it).  Like green for good and red for bad.  Or maybe the size.  If you kinda liked something, your thumbs could double in size, but if you really liked it, they'd balloon up to like 10x their normal size.

Yeah, thumbs don't really cut it here.  How does it actually compare to other American Wild Ales?  Is it better if you dip your thumb in and suck it off?

I give it an A-/ Does that help? As far as sour beers go, it's not as good as Abbaye de Bon Chien or the Russian River sours, but it's as good as anything by Crooked Stave or the New Belgium sours (La Folie, Le Terior). Does that help?

Space Freely

« Reply #5484 on: May 28, 2015, 11:35:46 am »

Space Freely

« Reply #5485 on: May 28, 2015, 01:40:41 pm »

Yada

« Reply #5486 on: May 28, 2015, 02:02:57 pm »
Anyone crushing these guys yet?

So good.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/an-early-contender-for-beer-of-the-year-1701515512/+robharvilla

This one is back on the shelves, at least in VA, if anyone is looking for more.

Bought three, four packs today. I crave this beer.

Space Freely

« Reply #5487 on: May 28, 2015, 02:18:37 pm »
Anyone crushing these guys yet?

So good.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/an-early-contender-for-beer-of-the-year-1701515512/+robharvilla

This one is back on the shelves, at least in VA, if anyone is looking for more.

Bought three, four packs today. I crave this beer.

I was probably too harsh on it previously. In lieu of not being able to get any more Westbrook Gose, I was happy to be able to go buy more of this.

Yada

« Reply #5488 on: May 28, 2015, 03:00:22 pm »
Any easy access to Wicked Weed brews on the way or in the Outer Banks?

Space Freely

« Reply #5489 on: May 28, 2015, 03:17:09 pm »
Any easy access to Wicked Weed brews on the way or in the Outer Banks?

Not sure, but looking forward to the Wicked Weed events at Churchkey and City Tap House next week. Anybody hitting one of those?