Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241386 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5505 on: June 09, 2015, 08:17:19 pm »
Anyone had the Lost Rhino sours?  I'm really impressed.  I've had the farmhouse, peach and blackberry and all were excellent.  You can only buy them at the brewery.  If you're a fan of the sour stuff these are a must try.  I think they're doing sours better than anyone else locally.  Bluejacket has had a few decent ones.  They recently did a papaya gose that knocked it out of the park.

I've never had of the Lost Rhino sours, but I'll definitely check them. I feel like Blue Jacket got off to a bit of a rough start when they first opened, but the past half dozen beers I've had from there have been above average to great.

I attended Savor this weekend and I'll never miss it again. I'm not sure why I waited so many years to check it out, but I don't have one negative thing to say about the experience. It was a pretty great evening.

i said the same exact thing 3 years ago when i attended.  they were in NYC the following year, then i moved, but it really is a great event.  what were your favorite beers?

Yada

« Reply #5506 on: June 10, 2015, 04:46:25 pm »
Anyone had the Lost Rhino sours?  I'm really impressed.  I've had the farmhouse, peach and blackberry and all were excellent.  You can only buy them at the brewery.  If you're a fan of the sour stuff these are a must try.  I think they're doing sours better than anyone else locally.  Bluejacket has had a few decent ones.  They recently did a papaya gose that knocked it out of the park.

I've never had of the Lost Rhino sours, but I'll definitely check them. I feel like Blue Jacket got off to a bit of a rough start when they first opened, but the past half dozen beers I've had from there have been above average to great.

I attended Savor this weekend and I'll never miss it again. I'm not sure why I waited so many years to check it out, but I don't have one negative thing to say about the experience. It was a pretty great evening.

i said the same exact thing 3 years ago when i attended.  they were in NYC the following year, then i moved, but it really is a great event.  what were your favorite beers?

To be honest, it was a tad overwhelming due to the quantity of both great beers and beers I?ve never tried. I drank a boat load and still didn?t get to try everything I wanted. The best part was I think the longest line I waited in all night was for a few oysters. I never waited longer than a handful of people for a beer. Here were my top beers in no particular order and other than the Fremont Cinnamon B-Bomb, all beers I?ve never had.

Upland - probably my favorite combo of the evening
VinoSynth Red - Sour/Wild Ale
Dantalion - Wild Dark Ale

Finback ? I had never even heard of this brewery, but both beers were delicious.
Moby Hop - Imperial IPA
Starchild - Sour/Wild Ale

4 Hands Brewing
Madagascar Imperial Stout

Schlafly - both amazing
Lazy Ballerina ? Saison
Apricot Berliner Weisse

Strange Craft Beer Company - I drank probably 16oz of the Cherry Kriek  ;D
Cherry Kriek ? Fruit Beer
Breakfast Grapefruit IPA ? was surprised I liked this?

Nola
Lowerline ? Sour/Wild

Fremont
Coffee Cinnamon Bourbon A-Bomb ?Strong Ale (send me some wizzle! )

Shorts
Freedom of 78 (how can?t I enjoy an IPA named after a Ween song?)

Yazoo
Sue ? Porter
Embrace the Funk Series - Deux Rouges - Sour/Wild Ale

stevewizzle

« Reply #5507 on: June 11, 2015, 04:44:35 pm »
Fremont
Coffee Cinnamon Bourbon A-Bomb ?Strong Ale (send me some wizzle! )

i drank all mine this year, and the one i had last week tasted like it was fading.  definitely a drink now, not later type of beer.

i'll send ya some this fall.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5508 on: June 11, 2015, 04:45:52 pm »
i havent heard of half those breweries.

Yada

« Reply #5509 on: June 12, 2015, 11:04:18 am »
Space and other Virginians,

One of our good friends had the gall to move out to Ashburn and we're planning a Sunday visit one of these upcoming weekends. Best brewery for a stop/lunch?

Adroit Theory seems a bit too far out, but Ocelot, Old Ox, and Rhino are all within a few miles of their place. Best Beer? Best Food? Anything else to consider?

Space Freely

« Reply #5510 on: June 12, 2015, 11:17:44 am »
Space and other Virginians,

One of our good friends had the gall to move out to Ashburn and we're planning a Sunday visit one of these upcoming weekends. Best brewery for a stop/lunch?

Adroit Theory seems a bit too far out, but Ocelot, Old Ox, and Rhino are all within a few miles of their place. Best Beer? Best Food? Anything else to consider?

Ocelot by a landslide based on beer. They've only been open for three months but I'd go as far as to say that they're making the best IPA's in the DMV. And if your friends don't like the hoppy stuff, all of their beers I tried were spot on. They play good tunes too...though i guess that's a matter of taste (my wife heard Wilco and My Morning Jacket, I'm too deaf to really hear the music).
Here is their weekend agenda, looks like food trucks if you want food.

https://www.facebook.com/OcelotBrewing?fref=nf
 Sorry if i sould like a fanboy, I was really impressed based on first visit.

You are right. Adroit Theory is a hike. Good place to stop if you're passing through, but not worth the hike on its own, IMO. Decent but not great high ABV beers with loud metal music playing. Food trucks on weekends too.

I haven't been to Old Ox or Lost Rhino, but their beers tend to be pretty average. Not bad, but definitely well, average.

Space Freely

« Reply #5511 on: June 12, 2015, 11:18:52 am »
Taking a look at the head brewer's resume makes me think there's going to be yet another beer reason to head down to Richmond.

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_8694f1d8-73a2-56b3-850e-bed43937bcc4.html?TNNoMobile

stevewizzle

« Reply #5512 on: June 12, 2015, 01:16:36 pm »
Taking a look at the head brewer's resume makes me think there's going to be yet another beer reason to head down to Richmond.

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_8694f1d8-73a2-56b3-850e-bed43937bcc4.html?TNNoMobile

shit you're not kidding.  ISO

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5513 on: June 12, 2015, 01:44:55 pm »

Is this the actual Heady Topper guy or just an apprentice? Scott's Addition is blowing up with breweries right now.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #5514 on: June 12, 2015, 01:46:08 pm »
The question is, when is the craft beer bubble going to burst?

« Reply #5515 on: June 12, 2015, 01:57:56 pm »

been thinking that for awhile

I think the market that is going to be hot is selling slightly used brewery equipment

I predict that in 2 years time at least 100 (if not 500) of these small operations are just going to go belly up and they will need to sell all this brand new equipment at fire sale prices to pay the bank for their 5mil loans
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #5516 on: June 12, 2015, 03:04:10 pm »

Is this the actual Heady Topper guy or just an apprentice? Scott's Addition is blowing up with breweries right now.

apprentice

stevewizzle

« Reply #5517 on: June 12, 2015, 06:28:05 pm »

when 3 stars goes out of business, you can pretty much consider that the bell toll.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5518 on: June 16, 2015, 02:54:59 pm »
surprised this hasn't been done previously: https://youtu.be/OUY5QMvLxoA
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #5519 on: June 17, 2015, 06:31:23 pm »
I could understand if they pulled this beer because it sucks. But pulling it because of the name? That just makes us look as bad as some other countries of the world...

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2015/06/15/duclaws-sweet-baby-jesus-beer-pulled-from-shelves.html