Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241423 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5565 on: July 02, 2015, 12:13:15 pm »
Drinking two glasses of Wisconsin Belgian Red at New Glarus on Sunday was like a religious experience for this beer geek. Fortunately, it didn't inspire me to shoot up a beach full of tourists.

Brought home some goodies from New Glarus and Toppling Goliath, yesssireee.

oh cool you're back to making discriminatory remarks against religion great thats my favorite

To review, here is what was said, above.

My point was I had what I considered to be a religious experience. A religious experience that didn't include killing people in the name of my god, BEER. Which is what happens with some religious people. who kill in the name of their god, QQQ.

In what way is that being "discriminatory against religion"? Please do tell me.

If you had used the phrase "critical of religion" I would completely agree with you. As someone who believes in science and thought and reason, I would say that it's perfectly reasonable to be critical of religious thought. Just as a person who leans liberal, it's perfectly reasonable that I would be critical of conservative ideology. And it seems perfectly reasonable to mock both.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5566 on: July 02, 2015, 12:32:00 pm »
You know, I will say in Rhett's defense, the fact that his comment was automatically assumed to be about a certain religion without him saying anything about that religion sort of makes his point for him.
LVMH

ggw

« Reply #5567 on: July 02, 2015, 12:35:40 pm »
Well, it was so obvious that he was talking about the Jews.

Space Freely

« Reply #5568 on: July 02, 2015, 12:41:51 pm »
Well, it was so obvious that he was talking about the Jews.

Only the Jews who are killing in the name of their religion.

Anyway, 40 cases of Solar Abyss just dropped at P Street Whole Foods. If I weren't so busy and didn't already have too much beer, I'd go grab a sixer.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5569 on: July 02, 2015, 01:07:35 pm »
Drinking two glasses of Wisconsin Belgian Red at New Glarus on Sunday was like a religious experience for this beer geek. Fortunately, it didn't inspire me to shoot up a beach full of tourists.

Brought home some goodies from New Glarus and Toppling Goliath, yesssireee.

oh cool you're back to making discriminatory remarks against religion great thats my favorite

To review, here is what was said, above.

My point was I had what I considered to be a religious experience. A religious experience that didn't include killing people in the name of my god, BEER. Which is what happens with some religious people. who kill in the name of their god, QQQ.

In what way is that being "discriminatory against religion"? Please do tell me.

If you had used the phrase "critical of religion" I would completely agree with you. As someone who believes in science and thought and reason, I would say that it's perfectly reasonable to be critical of religious thought. Just as a person who leans liberal, it's perfectly reasonable that I would be critical of conservative ideology. And it seems perfectly reasonable to mock both.

what part of what I said was inaccurate?

Discrimatory - characterized by or showing prejudicial treatment, especially as an indication of bias related to age, color, national origin, religion, sex, etc.

You have a long history of saying remarks against religion. Didn't you get banned for it?

let me know what your daughters principal says! Us youth need saving from out of touch white men like yourself. (Something isn't discrimatory if it's true, right?)

Edit: spelling

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:12:43 pm by Carlos Spicyweiner »

stevewizzle

« Reply #5570 on: July 02, 2015, 01:11:54 pm »
You know, I will say in Rhett's defense, the fact that his comment was automatically assumed to be about a certain religion without him saying anything about that religion sort of makes his point for him.

yeah, I hear that, but it doesn't make it right or even worth saying.

Space Freely

« Reply #5571 on: July 02, 2015, 01:29:52 pm »
Discrimination is the prejudicial treatment of an individual based on his/her membership (or perceived membership) in a certain group or category, and involves actual actions taken towards that individual.

What individual am I showing prejudicial treatment toward with my statement?

Space Freely

« Reply #5572 on: July 02, 2015, 01:30:49 pm »

Who made you the judge and jury over what is "right and worth saying"

stevewizzle

« Reply #5573 on: July 02, 2015, 01:39:32 pm »

nobody man. say whatever you want. keep jamming you're anti-religious bullshit in wherever you can, you're doing great.

Space Freely

« Reply #5574 on: July 02, 2015, 01:41:24 pm »
And isn't being a member of most religions inherently showing bias? As in, my religion follows the real God, if you don't believe in my religion, you're going to burn in hell or kill all infidels.

Those are paraphrases, not quotes.

ggw

« Reply #5575 on: July 02, 2015, 01:43:12 pm »
I think we have to cut Space some slack.  He's very upset about TV Land pulling the Dukes of Hazzard off the air.

Space Freely

« Reply #5576 on: July 02, 2015, 01:43:40 pm »

nobody man. say whatever you want. keep jamming you're anti-religious bullshit in wherever you can, you're doing great.

As an atheist, I feel that you are discriminating against me for calling my views "bullshit".

stevewizzle

« Reply #5577 on: July 02, 2015, 01:45:05 pm »
Discrimination is the prejudicial treatment of an individual based on his/her membership (or perceived membership) in a certain group or category, and involves actual actions taken towards that individual.

What individual am I showing prejudicial treatment toward with my statement?

I'm not really interested in debating semantics, but you have appeared to have found the definition of "discrimination", the noun, and it appears you chose the second definition. just like those who watch FOX news, we can all find something that justifies our ignorance and hatred.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:47:35 pm by Carlos Spicyweiner »

Space Freely

« Reply #5578 on: July 02, 2015, 01:45:51 pm »
I think we have to cut Space some slack.  He's very upset about TV Land pulling the Dukes of Hazzard off the air.

Thanks ggw. Very insightful. That's probably it. While I abhor much of what that flag stands for, pulling such a beloved tv show is just wrong.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5579 on: July 02, 2015, 01:46:23 pm »

As an atheist, I feel that you are discriminating against me for calling my views "bullshit".

I'm fine with that