Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241415 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5895 on: October 13, 2015, 05:08:28 pm »
yada, if you need any help... just lemme know.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #5896 on: October 16, 2015, 08:32:54 am »
Well Richmond is no Vermont, but after spending a good chunk of last weekend there, I'm ready to pronounce it the best beer city between Asheville and Philadelphia.

We hit the Lickinghole Creek Anniversary party. While not technically in Richmond (it's in the much better named 'Goochland'), I'm going to count it. We sampled a variety of beers, which ranged from terrible to fantastic. Nice farm setting, they had pick your own pumpkins (free), cornhole, live music, face painting for the toddlers...wide range of ages from babies on up. My wife was talking to the older woman next to her, who proclaimed "I'm here getting drunk on my son's beer." Turns out the woman was the mom of the owner. She was nice enough to snag my wife a free t-shirt before taking the stage to perform a solo acoustic version of the theme song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp4qeOTKTBc

We also made it to the Answer for the first time since they started brewing...I'd rate their IPA's right there with Ocelot for best in State. Triple Crossing is making some nice IPA's too. And of course Mekong might have a draft list that surpasses Churchkey. We didn't make it to Hardywood, but they're always pretty solid as well.

Space Freely

« Reply #5897 on: October 16, 2015, 08:36:23 am »
It may not be the perfect beer, but it was the perfect beer to drink at the summit of Old Rag on a crisp Autumn day yesterday, paired with a grilled smoke gouda and Macintosh apple sandwich. I had my next to last bottle of the 2013 batch yesterday. I've heard it said that the 2015 version is being released today.

And if that wasn't enough Founders for one day, on the way home I picked up a four pack of Harvest Ale and a $5 growler of Breakfast Stout for future consumption.

« Reply #5898 on: October 16, 2015, 09:01:07 am »
saw an interesting post on Ocelet

Plasticine Porter is also delivering itself up in various ways this weekend. Look for this Imperial Porter (9.4%) to be served on Nitro, CO2, and through the cask engine with coffee.

So there we go, some craft brewer using Nitro

Sounds absolutely delish, especially with that chill I felt this morning.
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5899 on: October 17, 2015, 08:25:55 pm »
snagged some 10-day-old Jai Alai at Trader Joe's in Tysons today, which was a nice surprise.  also decided to roll the dice on a TJ's-branded hibiscus tripel, which appears to be a collab with Hardywood.

craft brewers serving beer on nitro isn't that uncommon...
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #5900 on: October 17, 2015, 10:58:38 pm »
snagged some 10-day-old Jai Alai at Trader Joe's in Tysons today, which was a nice surprise.  also decided to roll the dice on a TJ's-branded hibiscus tripel, which appears to be a collab with Hardywood.

Eight day old Jai Alai at Trader Joe's in Faifax today. Beat ya!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5901 on: October 18, 2015, 10:31:20 pm »

lol @ competitive beer buying ;D

so did you walk out with it?  i'm a tad disappointed by the cans i've got.  amazing citrus aroma but some sort of weird but (luckily) subtle chalky/mineral-y thing going on in the taste.
<sig>

« Reply #5902 on: October 18, 2015, 11:03:17 pm »
Brewers Art Beazly Ale and Sumuttynose Robust Porter were my favorite finds this weekend

What was also nice surprise was going to a Kid's Fall Fest event at a farm...and they had BlueJacket Panther schwarzbier on tap

Win-Win for Dad
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 11:08:12 pm by Watermelondrea |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| »
slack

Yada

« Reply #5903 on: October 19, 2015, 09:00:17 am »

lol @ competitive beer buying ;D

so did you walk out with it?  i'm a tad disappointed by the cans i've got.  amazing citrus aroma but some sort of weird but (luckily) subtle chalky/mineral-y thing going on in the taste.

I bet Space also saved 86 cents on his purchase buying in VA vs. DC!! Take that sweetcell!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5904 on: October 19, 2015, 09:33:34 am »
First, is Jai Alai actually a hard beer to find? The Total Wine and More across the street from me has it by the truckload.

Also, is "how many days old my beer is" really a thing? At how many days does beer become sub-optimal?
LVMH

« Reply #5905 on: October 19, 2015, 10:08:05 am »
Also, is "how many days old my beer is" really a thing? At how many days does beer become sub-optimal?
not in days...months possibly
they just had their dick measuring sticks out and wanted to brag
slack

Yada

« Reply #5906 on: October 19, 2015, 10:08:12 am »
First, is Jai Alai actually a hard beer to find? The Total Wine and More across the street from me has it by the truckload.

Cigar City only recently started distributing in this region, so it's "somewhat" of an attractive beer but not really.

As for the age of beers, the fresher the better for hoppy beers like Jai Alai.

Space Freely

« Reply #5907 on: October 19, 2015, 10:14:01 am »
not in days...months possibly
they just had their dick measuring sticks out and wanted to brag

My dick is pretty average in size, but in regard to Jai Alai, I've noticed quite a difference (degradation) in taste even between buying and consuming it at three days old when I was in Florida (or possibly less when I was at the tasting room) and drinking it three weeks later. With Jai Alai, there also seems to be quite a bit of batch to batch variation. I've had it when it's absolutely amazing, and had it when it's only very good.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:17:54 am by Space Freely »

Space Freely

« Reply #5908 on: October 19, 2015, 10:17:01 am »

Cigar City only recently started distributing in this region, so it's "somewhat" of an attractive beer but not really.

Cigar City actually distributed to the DM(?)V in Spring/Summer 2014 through September 2014, then dropped us for about a year. So they teased us and got us hooked, then left us hanging and longing for more. So to see them return after a years absence is a wonderful thing. Now if they'd only start sending us their more limited stuff.

Yada

« Reply #5909 on: October 19, 2015, 12:39:52 pm »

Cigar City actually distributed to the DM(?)V in Spring/Summer 2014 through September 2014, then dropped us for about a year. So they teased us and got us hooked, then left us hanging and longing for more. So to see them return after a years absence is a wonderful thing. Now if they'd only start sending us their more limited stuff.

Cigar City only recently started distributing in this region,