Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241419 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6765 on: April 18, 2016, 03:31:00 pm »
i'm not into chili/habanero/spicy hot beers.  stone's xocovesa (sp?) is about my upper limit for spiciness.  i like spicy food, but the flavor just doesn't work in beer, for me.

clearly Space likes his beers caliente... anyone else?

I don't mind a lil' heat in Stouts (think Abraxas, Mexican Cake, etc.) but in IPAs I'm not too much of a fan. I had that RAR habanero as well and thought it was decent (but it was free!). I wouldn't buy it.

I don't recall any stouts with heat, but that might be appealing

this was horrendous and undrinkable

The label I got didn't even say it had habanero in it!
serious heat, but couldn't taste the beer

I did try their Mango Habanero IPA taste the other day...it was ok
but I just don't think this is very good trend
slack

« Reply #6766 on: April 18, 2016, 03:32:49 pm »

Any opinions on this? Picked up a 6er last week and really liked it, so I picked up another this weekend. And wouldn't you know it, I really liked it again
I think this beer is a quality brew and very poundable
especially the 15 pack of cans

I think walky referred to: All Day Gay
slack

Yada

« Reply #6767 on: April 18, 2016, 03:42:34 pm »
i'm not into chili/habanero/spicy hot beers.  stone's xocovesa (sp?) is about my upper limit for spiciness.  i like spicy food, but the flavor just doesn't work in beer, for me.

I don't mind a lil' heat in Stouts (think Abraxas, Mexican Cake, etc.) but in IPAs I'm not too much of a fan. I had that RAR habanero as well and thought it was decent (but it was free!). I wouldn't buy it.

I don't recall any stouts with heat, but that might be appealing

this was horrendous and undrinkable

The label I got didn't even say it had habanero in it!
serious heat, but couldn't taste the beer

I did try their Mango Habanero IPA taste the other day...it was ok
but I just don't think this is very good trend

Really? I thought that was the style that was typically/usually spicy and the IPAs are a recent trend?

« Reply #6768 on: April 18, 2016, 03:46:56 pm »
^I just don't recall having any
I think I had Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé and didn't love it
slack

Yada

« Reply #6769 on: April 18, 2016, 03:50:35 pm »

Any opinions on this? Picked up a 6er last week and really liked it, so I picked up another this weekend. And wouldn't you know it, I really liked it again
I think this beer is a quality brew and very poundable
especially the 15 pack of cans

I think walky referred to: All Day Gay

I prefer these in this format when drinking light beer.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #6770 on: April 18, 2016, 03:59:19 pm »

Habanero Sculpin was terrible. All heat - why take one of the best nationally-avaiable IPAs and ruin it like that? Habanero Nectar on the other hand was much more subtle in their approach and that was actually drinkable. Just not a fan of spicy IPAs in general.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #6771 on: April 18, 2016, 04:00:35 pm »

Great tailgating/grilling/summer beer. It's a great value whenever the 15 packs are on-sale at Rodman's or Magruders, too (just be sure to check the dates!!!).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:02:43 pm by BrettnotBritt »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6772 on: April 18, 2016, 04:28:38 pm »
I prefer these in this format when drinking light beer.

fair enough, but i prefer a light beer with some taste, like All Day IPA from Founders.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #6773 on: April 18, 2016, 05:04:39 pm »
Parabola drops at many of the fine MD establishments.

Space Freely

« Reply #6774 on: April 18, 2016, 05:27:51 pm »

Hmmmm...it's rare when i have beer without food, so for me it's the interplay between beer and food. I've had spicy IPA's paired with spicy food, and it didn't really work for me. This time, the spicy IPA was paired with the bland faux-meat i was eating from the Whole Foods salad bar. And it worked. Spiced up some otherwise boring food.

They spicy stout...yes, I do like them in a novelty sort of way. In the same way I like the chili pepper infused dark chocolate. But not together of course.

Space Freely

« Reply #6775 on: April 18, 2016, 05:34:54 pm »
Parabola drops at many of the fine MD establishments.

While I technically like Parabola slightly more, it's 73 cents an ounce compared to 50 cents and ounce for KBS. Or $17/bottle vs $6/bottle. So obviously...

I said fuck it and got some of both because they are both pretty awesome.

walk,on,by

« Reply #6776 on: April 18, 2016, 05:58:39 pm »
All day gay . . . that's, about right.

« Reply #6777 on: April 18, 2016, 08:55:46 pm »
So I'd be curious to know if people could submit their favorite local (ish) brews that are somewhat available.

This whole get out of work early to get a 12 oz bottle is a bit insane for my tastes
I've got to imagine that there are some very fine speimens that are not really rare, but are worth looking out for

I know it's all about personal preference

Something I could get at Total Wine, Lost Dog, Whole Foods, Arrowine

slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6778 on: April 18, 2016, 09:31:57 pm »
So I'd be curious to know if people could submit their favorite local (ish) brews that are somewhat available.

This whole get out of work early to get a 12 oz bottle is a bit insane for my tastes
I've got to imagine that there are some very fine speimens that are not really rare, but are worth looking out for

I know it's all about personal preference

Something I could get at Total Wine, Lost Dog, Whole Foods, Arrowine

Isn't the whole reason for a) teleworking and b) having a wife who teleworks... to snag rare beers?

The only localish beer I seek out is Union Double Duckpin. Batch date is on the bottom of the can, and you can usually get it about a week old when a batch comes out. And at $15/six pack, it's a couple bucks cheaper than Stone Enjoy By, and the same quality level (which means great...don't listen to Yada  ;D).

Space Freely

« Reply #6779 on: April 18, 2016, 09:35:46 pm »
Waldo's Special Ale should be hitting stores by 4/20. Looks like it's going to be great, fresh, and very reasonably priced.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/68269/