Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241421 times)

Unsanity

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6975 on: May 28, 2016, 05:11:15 am »
I want to try that Bretta Rose but it was sold out everywhere near me. Oh well.

Space Freely

« Reply #6977 on: May 31, 2016, 09:01:21 am »
Anybody been to Selin's Grove Brewpub in PA and have a review? Planning on hitting it for dinner as we drive up to the Southern Tier (the region, not the brewery) for the weekend.

Hit it a couple years ago.  I seem to remember their APA hitting the spot.  Food was very good.

Their kriek was fantastic (#4 fruit beer in Beer Advocate, right behind the three New Glarus fruit beers) and the APA did indeed hit the spot. Atmosphere/ambience (in an old mansion) was great. Food was just average, but at least they had plenty of choices for vegetarians.

A couple of other (beer) highlights of my visit to the Finger Lakes region:

1. A visit to Abandon Brewing, arguably the best brewery in the region...Everything was very good to great. Brought home a growler of a dark sour...

2. Going to a beer store in Auburn, NY  when coincidentally they were having a tap takeover by Singlecut Beersmiths (hotshit brewery from Queens, NY). All four Singlecut beers i tried were fantastic. One cloudy DIPA was remiscent of and on the level of an Aslin beer.
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30452/221622/

I thought it funny that I'm using a local brewery as a barometer of greatness....

Another standout was this sour:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30452/217909/

...which was perhaps the best smelling beer I've ever had. You could literally smell it all around the table we were at.

walk,on,by

« Reply #6978 on: May 31, 2016, 12:35:11 pm »
just found a few more dfh 120 minute, so I bought them.  I have 6 total now . . . no wait, I drank one already to taste this year's batch.

also got a growler of sierra Nevada six rights ipa, just to try it.

walk,on,by

« Reply #6979 on: May 31, 2016, 11:23:39 pm »
Cracked rhe growler.  Drank too much.  Not enough,  commas, to describe how drunk i am.

Space Freely

« Reply #6980 on: June 01, 2016, 08:18:34 am »
So is anybody hitting any of the Savor events or Savor itself? If so, any must drink beers on your list?

« Reply #6981 on: June 01, 2016, 10:20:33 pm »
So went out to eat recently and was all like "whoa....they have Kentucky bourbon barrel stout in bottle here'
until I had this

avoid...totally capitalized on the KBS craze and put out a pretty weak beer

slack

Yada

« Reply #6982 on: June 02, 2016, 08:54:09 am »
So is anybody hitting any of the Savor events or Savor itself? If so, any must drink beers on your list?

I drank about 80% of the tap list at Meridian Pint last night and I'm feeling it today, lots of pretty great beers + cheap good food as well. I also had a couple Hardywood Beers at Lost and Found (foolery and hoplar pineapple IPA).

Highlights at MP were:

Parish - Ghost in the Machine
Parish - Coffee Milk Stout
Melvin - 2x4
Wicked Weed - Marina, Amorous, Reccurant Sour Red

I will be at Savor, but most likely no more events.

Yes, Sideburnt, that's a turrible beer up there ^^^.

Space Freely

« Reply #6983 on: June 02, 2016, 09:12:38 am »
I opted for Brookland Pint yesterday. Easy access from work, early opening, and great taplist. Even said hi to Brennser as he was finishing up.

I had samples of five stouts, all very good. In order of preference:

Founders KBS
4 Hands Madagascar
Lagunitas High-Westified
Perennial Sump
Victory Java Cask

I washed them down with a sample of Ocelot Impression, one of the best Ocelot beers I've had.

Tonight it's Surly for dinner at Smoke and Barrel. Tomorrow it's a Melvin 2x4 lunch (only one serving, I swear) at BP, and then maybe Fremont at S&B and/or Maine beers at CK after work.

And then I go on a diet. Or at least stick to drinking beers that I have at home.

Would love to try that Ghost in the Machine, but hek you can't have everything in life.

Space Freely

« Reply #6984 on: June 02, 2016, 09:20:21 am »

I drank about 80% of the tap list at Meridian Pint last night and I'm feeling it today, lots of pretty great beers + cheap good food as well. I also had a couple Hardywood Beers at Lost and Found (foolery and hoplar pineapple IPA).

Highlights at MP were:

Melvin - 2x4

How do the 2x4 and the Ghost in the Machine compare?

Yada

« Reply #6985 on: June 02, 2016, 09:33:58 am »

Highlights at MP were:

Melvin - 2x4

How do the 2x4 and the Ghost in the Machine compare?

Different styles of ipas, but both tasty... Ghost is the hazy style of IPA that all the kids love these days, but had a bit of a bitter finish. I preferred the Ghost of the 2x4 by a hair.

Space Freely

« Reply #6986 on: June 03, 2016, 08:29:52 am »
Five tasters of Surly beers last night (Darkness, Smoke, Cacao Bender, Todd the Axman, Pentagram). All good. Still I think their beer "Overrated" best describes the brewery.

And the service at Smoke and Barrel, which is usually good, was miserably bad (in spite of it not being too crowded).

Yada

« Reply #6987 on: June 03, 2016, 01:49:50 pm »
Five tasters of Surly beers last night (Darkness, Smoke, Cacao Bender, Todd the Axman, Pentagram). All good. Still I think their beer "Overrated" best describes the brewery.

And the service at Smoke and Barrel, which is usually good, was miserably bad (in spite of it not being too crowded).

I agree... Other than Abrasive, overrated is a pretty good description of most of their beers.

hutch

« Reply #6988 on: June 03, 2016, 02:50:55 pm »
did i mention the case of Yuengling is up to 17.99 at BJs?

Space Freely

« Reply #6989 on: June 03, 2016, 02:58:24 pm »
did i mention the case of Yuengling is up to 17.99 at BJs?

I saw they had a case of Miller Lite at Giant for $11.99 and I thought if you.

I also thought of the girl I dated right before I met my wife who was pretty hot though she shaved her pussy and I didn't like that...she drank Miller Lite. All in all, probably good that we didn't last.