Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241400 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7275 on: August 12, 2016, 09:59:43 am »
Drinking a Bells Black Note Stout 2016 right now.

How does it compare to other bourbon aged stouts, say Founders KBS for instance?

I have one single bottle I've been sitting on for a couple of years, I'll probably crack it once the weather gets cooler.
It tasted, I guess the best way I can explain it, "darker" or "thicker" than KBS. VERY similar to the bells expedition stout but maybe a little more "coffee creamer"-y than that. Less bourbons than KBS but still obviously super strong. Felt like a meal on its own. A second one (especially at $17/per) was probably a poor decision.

$17 per bottle?? I can hear Space shitting himself from here.

As long as he wasn't spending my money, it's all good.  ;)

I'm still trying to wrap my wallet around the fact that I spent more for three crowlers from Aslin yesterday than I did for a case of Zombie Dust at Three Floyds last week. And one of the crowlers is a 3.8%  berlinerweisse.

Yada

« Reply #7276 on: August 12, 2016, 10:25:06 am »

Julian, glad to see your active participation in this here, thread.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #7277 on: August 12, 2016, 10:41:34 am »

Julian, glad to see your active participation in this here, thread.
I do, what, I can. I reach, across, the aisle. I'm a uniter, not a, divider.
LVMH

« Reply #7278 on: August 12, 2016, 01:13:37 pm »
as long as that reach is for MI or RVA

I will have you know I thought of you Jules when I saw these today biking aroung
slack

« Reply #7279 on: August 12, 2016, 01:19:23 pm »
as long as that reach is for MI or RVA

I will have you know I thought of you Jules when I saw these today biking aroung

Those would look lovely on my deck.

EDIT: $700 for those is a ridiculous price. Would majorly cut into my drinking $17 beers for you guys' benefit.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 01:28:31 pm by Julian, the BELOVED »
LVMH

medeski7

« Reply #7280 on: August 12, 2016, 01:31:42 pm »
Zwanze Day at the Sovereign this year.

Doors, Cantillon Drafts & Zwanze Tasting Tickets at 12 pm. Zwanze Pours at 3pm

The Sovereign is incredibly honored to host Cantillon's Zwanze Day for the first time ever in 2016. The privilege of pouring their Zwanze blend each year is bestowed upon fewer than 60 locations across the entire globe. Our sister bar ChurchKey has had the distinct pleasure of hosting this event for the last 5 years and we couldn't be more excited to carry the torch on October 1st. We'll be opening the bar and restaurant at 12 PM for customers and along with the other participating bars we'll be tapping the Zwanze keg at 3 PM sharp.

This year's Zwanze offering is going to be a throwback to the Framboise Cantillon was producing until about 30 years ago. As the name implies, it was a lambic aged on raspberries, but back in the eighties they used fresh fruit that lost its color quickly and often made filtration difficult, so cherries were also used to help maintain some rosiness and to act as a secondary filter bed beneath the raspberries. Vanilla was also added to round out the flavor of the offering. With modern flash-freezing techniques helping to maintain color and consistency, Cantillon began producing Rosé de Gambrinus with 100% raspberries in the middle of the 1980s as well. This will be the first raspberry/cherry blend they've done since 1986, and definitely the only Cantillon lambic to incorporate vanilla since then.

Though we will not be officially pouring Zwanze 2016 until 3 PM--as we share in a worldwide toast with all of the other Zwanze Day breweries, bars and bottle shops--we will be preselling tickets for pours of Zwanze 2016 right when we open at 12PM. Do try to get to The Sovereign as close to our opening time as possible; we anticipate huge crowds and want to be sure that the first to arrive get to taste Zwanze 2016. All those with Zwanze 2016 tickets will get to taste this delicious rarity once the keg is tapped at 3PM. Additionally, all other Cantillon drafts will be available for purchase right when we open at 12PM for Zwanze Day.

Cantillon Zwanze Day 2016 Draft List (so far...):
Cantillon Zwanze 2016 (Tasting tickets begin selling at 12pm; Zwanze 2016 tapping at 3pm)
Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic (Available at 12pm)
Cantillon Kriek (Available at 12pm)
Cantillon Mamouche (Available at 12pm)
Cantillon Iris Grand Cru (Available at 12pm)

Space Freely

« Reply #7281 on: August 15, 2016, 11:09:04 am »
Made it to Fair Winds Brewing for the first time yesterday. 10 minutes from my house, then another 10 minutes to the dump.

Not as good as Aslin, or Ocelot. Still, very good beer. Perhaps the best session IPA I've had, period. Hitch, you should try it.

Aslin: $14/32 ounce crowler, 40 minute drive, 40 minute wait in line to buy take home beer.

Fair Winds: $3.75/32 ounce growler (half off growler fill, Weds only), 10 min drive, no lines.

imbecile

« Reply #7282 on: August 15, 2016, 11:53:08 am »
I'll be in Indianapolis for a conference next week.  Anyone have bar/brewery references or a few "must try" beers off the top of their head?

I've never been to Indiana and don't know their beer scene at all, aside from to try anything i see from Three Floyds.

hutch

« Reply #7283 on: August 15, 2016, 12:03:09 pm »
Anybody know where to pick up Lone Star beer? Seems like the closest place is 200 miles away!

Space Freely

« Reply #7284 on: August 15, 2016, 12:30:33 pm »
I'll be in Indianapolis for a conference next week.  Anyone have bar/brewery references or a few "must try" beers off the top of their head?

I've never been to Indiana and don't know their beer scene at all, aside from to try anything i see from Three Floyds.

The only Indy beer I've had was Sun King, which was pretty good. Looks like there may be some that are even better:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/place/list/?&c_id=US&s_id=IN&city=Indianapolis&sort=name&sort=avgbeers

Yada

« Reply #7285 on: August 15, 2016, 12:45:12 pm »
Anybody know where to pick up Lone Star beer? Seems like the closest place is 200 miles away!

I'd recommend getting yourself a case of High Life bottles.

No lines, available everywhere, and roughly 10 cents an ounce. Big fan.

hutch

« Reply #7286 on: August 15, 2016, 12:50:04 pm »

I'd recommend getting yourself a case of High Life bottles.

No lines, available everywhere, and roughly 10 cents an ounce. Big fan.

oh yah I drink that...big fan... although my local Rite Aid no longer carries it

walk,on,by

« Reply #7287 on: August 15, 2016, 04:21:55 pm »
people that buy beer at rite aid . . . are the fucking, best.

« Reply #7288 on: August 15, 2016, 04:32:42 pm »
I honestly didn't even realize pharmacies sell beer.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #7289 on: August 15, 2016, 04:35:34 pm »
I honestly didn't even realize pharmacies sell beer.

A few months back in NYC I purchased a Coors Original 24oz can in a Rite Aid. Big fan.