Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241424 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7455 on: October 14, 2016, 11:31:50 am »
so the DB beer that i had was Space Fruit.  entirely acceptable.

in a fit of laziness i got a can of Goose Island IPA.  canned on: july 20.  WTF, ABI?!?!?!?!?  if you're going to take over a joint and serve 90% of the beer there, you should have a decent supply chain that can ensure fresh beer.  or at least reasonably fresh.  the beer was boring, bordering on bad.  that'll teach me to be a sloth. 

ended the night with an Atlas Rowdy, a highly-hopped rye beer - if it has a little less malt character, it would be a rye IPA.  i can see how it might not be for everybody as there are a lot of strong flavors bumping up against each other, but it worked for me.  it was a tie for me between the space fruit and rowdy.

saw some 3 Stars saison at a few "district brews" bars. likely would have been my next beer had i not run out of time, money, and irresponsibility.  i'm sure i'm much better off this morning for having cut myself off.

All I can taste today is bud light and boiled hot dogs.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #7456 on: October 14, 2016, 11:34:50 am »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7457 on: October 14, 2016, 12:23:01 pm »
so here's a story that i'm still digesting: the "disruptive investment" arm of AB Inbev has just bought the largest online retailer of homebrew supplies.

short: http://mnbeeractivists.com/newsfeed/northern-brewer-midwest-supplies-acquired-ab-inbev

long: http://bevinsights.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=26852:abi-gets-into-homebrew

reddit discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/57c9me/its_official_northern_brewer_midwest_has/

i can't figure out how this makes sense for ABI.  any profits generated from this venture will be less than a rounding error for them.  some have speculated that they want access to the customer base, but homebrewers are among the unfriendliest segments for macros.  other said they want the marketing data - but this seems like an expensive way of getting the data.  besides, they have a huge market research operation already...

despite not being able to explain it, i don't like it.  stay outta my grains and kettles, BMCs!!!
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7459 on: October 14, 2016, 01:22:17 pm »
Bud Light might be perfect for a baseball game. 

yes, it might be, for some!

Seeking out shitty craft beer in a stadium when there is an abundance of amazing macro beers at your fingertips seems like a waste of time, IMO.

"amazing macro beers"?  for me, there aren't any.  i gave GI IPA a try and regretted it.

macros are at best serviceable: they are liquid so they quench thirst, they contain alcohol so they get you drunk.  but i like flavor along with those two (sometimes i'd be happy with only the flavor).  most macros are brewed specifically to have less flavor.  this helps with "drinkability" (AKA the ability to drink a lot of it).

i will concede that my insistence on craft beer did result in some wasted time: instead of grabbing a bud light from the vendors in the bleachers, i had to get up and find a bar in the concourse that sold craft.  i missed a few plays because i was standing in line.  mind you, over a 4:45 game i didn't mind it tooooo much :)

nice!  i woke up this morning with the taste of jerk ribs and hops ;D

p.s. we should probably brush our teeth more thoroughly before bed to ensure that last night's meal isn't with us the morning after...
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #7460 on: October 14, 2016, 02:27:46 pm »
Bud Light might be perfect for a baseball game. 

yes, it might be, for some!

Seeking out shitty craft beer in a stadium when there is an abundance of amazing macro beers at your fingertips seems like a waste of time, IMO.

"amazing macro beers"?  for me, there aren't any.  i gave GI IPA a try and regretted it.

macros are at best serviceable: they are liquid so they quench thirst, they contain alcohol so they get you drunk.  but i like flavor along with those two (sometimes i'd be happy with only the flavor).  most macros are brewed specifically to have less flavor.  this helps with "drinkability" (AKA the ability to drink a lot of it).

i will concede that my insistence on craft beer did result in some wasted time: instead of grabbing a bud light from the vendors in the bleachers, i had to get up and find a bar in the concourse that sold craft.  i missed a few plays because i was standing in line.  mind you, over a 4:45 game i didn't mind it tooooo much :)

nice!  i woke up this morning with the taste of jerk ribs and hops ;D

p.s. we should probably brush our teeth more thoroughly before bed to ensure that last night's meal isn't with us the morning after...

I was joking about the amazing macros... I just don't think Nats offers anything worth waiting in line for when you can simply have mr beerman give you a bud light lime and a thumbs up!

Yada

« Reply #7461 on: October 14, 2016, 02:59:38 pm »
Back to beers that matter.

A few recent brewery trips/mini space reviews:

Sloop Brewing Company

Environment: Great tasting room, friendly workers, tons of outdoor space with fields of wildflowers, a play set for the kids, and a few springer spaniels running around - A+
Music: We spent most of our time out doors - n/a
Food: I think they have food trucks some times (not the day we were there), small snacks for sale like pretzels, did buy some fresh honey and maple syrup (expensive but both excellent) - B -
Beer: Killer! Tried a sampler of 10 which included Juice Bomb as well as all the variants (simcoe, galaxy, citra, amarillo). Each one was delicious except the Amarillo (maybe just a personal preference, but didn't dig it). All Day Rose was tasty while drinking it there on a crisp sunny fall day, however the growler I brought home didn't hold up in comparison to higher end sours. Saur Peach was also pretty tasty but was an enamel buster. Would return again. - A

Brew Gentlemen

Environment: In the hood, gorgeous space, hipsters galore, could be a page right out of the neighborhood restaurant group bible, dog friendly, not kid friendly at least at 8pm on a Saturday night - A
Music: Houses of the Holy was on while I was there - A
Food: A mexican food truck was outside while I was there, didn't not partake. - n/a
Beer: Ohhhhhh weeeee!!! Super good, don't miss this place if you're in the Burgh'. Two big juice bombs (General Braddock's IPA and Kaubto which was a double IPA), Momo which reminded me of a light trillium juice bomb, Mexican Coffee (kind of a weak attempt at an Abraxas, way too thin but tasted good), and Mr. Automatic which was a porter and good enough. - A

Space Freely

« Reply #7462 on: October 14, 2016, 03:10:18 pm »
Beer faceoff:

Stone Xocoveza vs Weyerbacher Sunday Mole Stout

Price: Stone, $10.99 six pack Weyerbacher, $15.99/ four pack (only bought a single @$4.49)

ABV: Stone 8.1%, Weyerbacher, 11.3%

Descriptions:
Stone: This take on Mexican hot chocolate is crafted with cocoa, coffee, pasilla peppers, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Weyerbacher: Imperial stout brewed with cocoa, cinnamon and peppers.

Results:
Stone 2, Weyerbacher 0. The Weyerbacher was way to boozy with a chemical-ly taste to it. My wife hated it so much she took one sip of her half and told me I could have the rest. I didn't hate it as much as she did, but glad I only bought one. The Stone otoh, excellent for the third year in a row and a great price to boot. May have to pick up another sixer.

gavroche

« Reply #7463 on: October 14, 2016, 03:12:51 pm »
I just had my first la folie.  Quite delicious and $6 for an 11 ounce pour.  I forget that not everywhere has DC prices.

Space Freely

« Reply #7464 on: October 14, 2016, 03:43:36 pm »
Beer faceoff:

Stone Xocoveza vs Weyerbacher Sunday Mole Stout

Price: Stone, $10.99 six pack Weyerbacher, $15.99/ four pack (only bought a single @$4.49)

ABV: Stone 8.1%, Weyerbacher, 11.3%

Descriptions:
Stone: This take on Mexican hot chocolate is crafted with cocoa, coffee, pasilla peppers, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Weyerbacher: Imperial stout brewed with cocoa, cinnamon and peppers.

Results:
Stone 2, Weyerbacher 0. The Weyerbacher was way to boozy with a chemical-ly taste to it. My wife hated it so much she took one sip of her half and told me I could have the rest. I didn't hate it as much as she did, but glad I only bought one. The Stone otoh, excellent for the third year in a row and a great price to boot. May have to pick up another sixer.

Edit: Damn, I should have bought more of the Stone beer at that price. It's now listing at $16.99 at Total Wine, I paid $11.99 minus a $1 coupon.

« Reply #7465 on: October 14, 2016, 04:32:33 pm »

was excited to try this (Sour DIPA)
but wasn't as good as I hoped
label sure is cool tho

But my beer of the week is The Oxercist II
probably my favorite Pumpkin beer and Old Ox brew to date

close second
The Calling - Boulevard

Who knew that the Grape and Bean in an odd spot in Alexandria (Rosemont) would have some  of the tastiest beer on tap (and excellent bottle shop)
slack

Yada

« Reply #7466 on: October 14, 2016, 04:38:35 pm »

was excited to try this (Sour DIPA)
but wasn't as good as I hoped
label sure is cool tho

But my beer of the week is The Oxercist II
probably my favorite Pumpkin beer and Old Ox brew to date

close second
The Calling - Boulevard

Who knew that the Grape and Bean in an odd spot in Alexandria (Rosemont) would have some  of the tastiest beer on tap (and excellent bottle shop)

Sour/IPAs don't mix as far as I'm concerned. Nor do salt and IPAs... finally had a few Veil beers that don't live up to the hype. $alt Lyfe was pretty mediocre followed by That Part which was maybe one of the worst beers I've ever had.

Space Freely

« Reply #7467 on: October 14, 2016, 04:46:21 pm »
Interesting. I got two try a bunch of new Wicked Weed beers with their recent local drop. The Amorous Sour IPA was my favorite.

« Reply #7468 on: October 14, 2016, 04:57:29 pm »
I saw that some bottle shop on Wisconsin has wicked weed
is that becoming more available in the DMV now?
I know S&B had that tasting, but does anyone have that on tap?
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #7469 on: October 14, 2016, 05:01:26 pm »
I saw that some bottle shop on Wisconsin has wicked weed
is that becoming more available in the DMV now?
I know S&B had that tasting, but does anyone have that on tap?

Bottles appear to be pretty widely available right now. Not sure on the draft. One source said it would be infrequent but who knows.

https://www.beermenus.com/breweries/6105-wicked-weed-brewing