Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241515 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7710 on: December 04, 2016, 10:27:26 pm »
Commonwealth (out of VA beach)...well goddamn that is one tasty DIPA
got a growler of the NE DIPA called Big Papi

Virginia is really producing some serious beverages
only wish it was in my zip code
slack

Yada

« Reply #7711 on: December 05, 2016, 10:53:58 am »
Barrel Aged Ted Fidy  > BCBS and by a hair a bit friendlier in the space ounce:cost ratio.

Space Freely

« Reply #7712 on: December 05, 2016, 11:30:05 am »
Barrel Aged Ted Fidy  > BCBS and by a hair a bit friendlier in the space ounce:cost ratio.

Depending on how much of it I can get my hands on, High Westified at $12/six pack may negate me from ever purchasing any other barrel aged beer again.

hutch

« Reply #7713 on: December 05, 2016, 11:40:12 am »
I've decided Natty Boh blows.. I used to think it was OK but this last batch just didn't do it for me...

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #7714 on: December 05, 2016, 12:08:05 pm »
Achievement Unlocked +1

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7715 on: December 05, 2016, 12:42:29 pm »
Achievement Unlocked +1

as in the english pale ale from MN? 
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #7716 on: December 05, 2016, 12:56:47 pm »
As in hutch's palate finally growing a pair.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7717 on: December 05, 2016, 01:37:04 pm »
ah... agreed.  but as long any industrial light lager continues to be his favorite beer, he's still got some growing to do.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #7718 on: December 05, 2016, 05:28:51 pm »

Depending on how much of it I can get my hands on, High Westified at $12/six pack may negate me from ever purchasing any other barrel aged beer again.

from another beer thread...

"Also, I'm not sure if this was discussed in detail earlier, but the reason you see Lagunitas High-Westified 6-packs for ~$10 everywhere is that Constellations Brands, which bought Ballast Point, also owns High West. As a result, Lagunitas can't get any more barrels (they'll all be going to BP), so they decided to unload everything dirt cheap and set the market for quality, High West BA beer, thus turning any High West stuff BP releases into shelf turds if the price is out of line and the quality isn't much better."

« Reply #7719 on: December 05, 2016, 05:31:53 pm »
, thus turning any High West stuff BP releases into shelf turds
not sure I understand...but that is a great band name
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #7720 on: December 05, 2016, 05:32:50 pm »
Lagunitas is diving on their price to remind everybody that Ballast Point is overpriced.

Yada

« Reply #7721 on: December 05, 2016, 06:17:35 pm »
Singlecut Softly Spoken Magic Spells may be the best bottled DIPA I've ever had. Nearly as good as it is on draft.

thanks for this heads-up!  i had never heard of this brewery.  looking at the map, it's easy to get to via subway and it's open until midnight wed-sat.  i'll be hitting this place up next time i'm in the NYC office.

I had heard the name, so was intrigued when I saw that a local beer store was having Singlecut tap takeover when I was visiting my brother in upstate NY over the summer. We stopped in and were totally blown away.

They just started shipping small quantities of single (pricey) bottles and select kegs to DC. I've had that bottle as well as a couple of others on draft at Smoke and Barrel. All excellent. The beer director for Smoke and Barrel/NP/BP made similar flattering comments regarding the hoppy beers from SingleCut in the BA forum.

We're hoping to hit the brewery when we go to NYC in January (also considering LIC Beer Project in Queens, as well as Other Half and Threes in Brooklyn). I'll post a review here if we do so. If you're there anytime soon, let us know how it is!

It sounds like your NYC visit is purely beer focused, so don't sleep on Sand City brewing. Had a few of their offerings over the weekend and they're producing juice bombs that all the kids love. I can't comment on how family friendly their brewery is or isn't.

Space Freely

« Reply #7722 on: December 05, 2016, 08:03:51 pm »
Singlecut Softly Spoken Magic Spells may be the best bottled DIPA I've ever had. Nearly as good as it is on draft.

thanks for this heads-up!  i had never heard of this brewery.  looking at the map, it's easy to get to via subway and it's open until midnight wed-sat.  i'll be hitting this place up next time i'm in the NYC office.

I had heard the name, so was intrigued when I saw that a local beer store was having Singlecut tap takeover when I was visiting my brother in upstate NY over the summer. We stopped in and were totally blown away.

They just started shipping small quantities of single (pricey) bottles and select kegs to DC. I've had that bottle as well as a couple of others on draft at Smoke and Barrel. All excellent. The beer director for Smoke and Barrel/NP/BP made similar flattering comments regarding the hoppy beers from SingleCut in the BA forum.

We're hoping to hit the brewery when we go to NYC in January (also considering LIC Beer Project in Queens, as well as Other Half and Threes in Brooklyn). I'll post a review here if we do so. If you're there anytime soon, let us know how it is!

It sounds like your NYC visit is purely beer focused, so don't sleep on Sand City brewing. Had a few of their offerings over the weekend and they're producing juice bombs that all the kids love. I can't comment on how family friendly their brewery is or isn't.

One day for Queens, one day for Brooklyn, one day for Manhattan. Not entireiy beer focused, but beer will get it's fair share.

Isn't Sand City on Long Island? Won't be on Long Island. Do they can/distribute in one of the boroughs?

Space Freely

« Reply #7723 on: December 05, 2016, 08:05:47 pm »

from another beer thread...

"Also, I'm not sure if this was discussed in detail earlier, but the reason you see Lagunitas High-Westified 6-packs for ~$10 everywhere is that Constellations Brands, which bought Ballast Point, also owns High West. As a result, Lagunitas can't get any more barrels (they'll all be going to BP), so they decided to unload everything dirt cheap and set the market for quality, High West BA beer, thus turning any High West stuff BP releases into shelf turds if the price is out of line and the quality isn't much better."

That is genius. Lagunitas is owned by Heineken so no doubt they can take the short term loss to fuck BP on the long term.

hutch

« Reply #7724 on: December 05, 2016, 08:25:03 pm »
Anchor Steam

I like Anchor Steam.. its a reliably tasty beer for me.