Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241439 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8325 on: July 24, 2017, 09:21:22 am »
Top beers of the weekend round my parts.

1. 2015 Whiskey Barrel Aged Mexican Radio by our local friends Blue Jacket. Holy shit, not only was this the best beer I've ever had by them, but this beer was up there with Abraxas, Mexican Coffee Cake, etc. I bought this bomber two years ago and kind of just forgot about assuming it wouldn't be that great, but wow was I wrong. Would drink again (not sure if that's possible).

2. With Friends like These by De Garde. Unlike many other extremely overly tart De Garde beers, you could probably drink a bomber of this by yourself. A Wild Ale fermented & aged in oak with grapes was the perfect afternoon quencher during this heat wave.

3. Green by Tree House. Juice Bomb perfection.

« Reply #8326 on: July 24, 2017, 10:31:56 am »
Mexican Radio by our local friends Blue Jacket.
I really enjoyed the this....didn't have the barrel aged one or one that has aged for 2 additional years...but I think it's one of their best offerings
slack

Yada

« Reply #8327 on: July 24, 2017, 10:46:48 am »
Mexican Radio by our local friends Blue Jacket.
I really enjoyed the this....didn't have the barrel aged one or one that has aged for 2 additional years...but I think it's one of their best offerings

Yeah, Mexican Radio is/was one of my favorites of theirs as well, but this was phenomenal.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #8328 on: July 24, 2017, 05:04:28 pm »
Went to Connecticut for a quick weekend trip to visit one of my best friends from high school for a BBBQ (the extra B is for BYOBB).

Flew into Hartford and stopped at Connecticut Valley Brewing Co and Counterweight as they were on the way. CT Valley only makes a couple of beers right now but I bought some of their Trailblazer NEIPA. It's murky af but rather delicious. Also sounds like I was rather fortunate as their previous batch was not as good - apparently the brewer is wildly inconsistent as they just moved to a brand new space.

Next stop was Counterweight which is a brewery I could spend a bunch of time at - nice tasting room and a chill atmosphere. Grabbed their Spiral Architect DIPA and Van Art gose. Both were great beers and I was pretty impressed with what's been a growing CT beer scene. Didn't have time for NEBCO but they sold out of FBD cans earlier in the week anyway.

Space Freely

« Reply #8329 on: July 25, 2017, 08:27:32 am »
Good afternoon everyone! Aslin Beer Co. and its team has been through a lot through the first half of 2017. We have continued to see tremendous growth, while also being able to have meaningful learning experiences along the way. As a result, we believe our beer is now better than ever and we aim to continue this growth as a brewery. However, in order to see more growth, we realize that we are missing one important piece. That piece is to be able to provide a unique environment that encompasses our brand and represents our team. Today, we are excited to announce that Aslin Beer Co. has found a home for our new tasting room. With the help of the Town of Herndon, our real estate agents, and architect, we will be opening our new tasting room and Sour Beer facility in downtown Herndon. Our new tasting room will have approx. 2500 sqft of interior tasting room space and 2500 sqft of outdoor space, including rooftop deck & bar, bocce ball court, and a covered deck. We are working hard for this space to be open ASAP and will continue to update along the way. Our anniversary party will take place in the parking lot of our new tasting room. As for our current space, we will continue to transition the space into production only. However due to our current growth rate, we will be investing in a new production facility, which the location is still yet to be determined. The Aslin Beer Co. team would like to thank everyone for their support through our first two years and look forward to sharing what is ahead for us with each and every one of you!

Cheers!
Aslin Beer Co.

hutch

« Reply #8330 on: July 25, 2017, 09:17:57 am »
bocce? is this a thing now? or does Aslin's customer base tend to be maily nonagerians?

« Reply #8331 on: July 25, 2017, 09:53:12 am »
dude...get with the times. Bocce in bars in DC has been a thing for a while
https://www.thrillist.com/drink/washington-dc/bars-with-bocce-in-washington-dc
slack

hutch

« Reply #8332 on: July 25, 2017, 10:03:34 am »
So what is your bocce handicap?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8333 on: July 25, 2017, 10:05:11 am »
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #8334 on: July 25, 2017, 10:06:36 am »
sleeman's cream ale... damn i miss the stuff.

I wonder if Sweetcell is back to drinking Sleeman's now that he has moved back closer to Canada?

Yada

« Reply #8335 on: July 26, 2017, 08:43:50 am »
Finally a best of list that makes sense.

https://gearpatrol.com/2017/07/25/best-breweries-in-america/

Space Freely

« Reply #8336 on: July 26, 2017, 09:39:44 am »

Pretty good list. I’m going to posit that Sierra must be on their for historical reasons rather than current beer reasons.

Yada

« Reply #8337 on: July 26, 2017, 10:07:17 am »

Pretty good list. I’m going to posit that Sierra must be on their for historical reasons rather than current beer reasons.

When you say, "pretty good list." What do you feel is included that shouldn't be or isn't on the list that should?

I'd argue that Surly, Three Floyds, Stillwater, and Tired Hands could be removed. I'm not 100% sure who would replace them, but otherwise an incredible solid list that covers the tops and best in the industry in my humble opinion.

Kemosabe

« Reply #8338 on: July 26, 2017, 11:23:12 am »

Sweet list!  I have heard of three of them!   8)

Yada

« Reply #8339 on: July 26, 2017, 11:24:28 am »

Sweet list!  I have heard of three of them!   8)

Now you know how I feel when you list your top 234 albums of the year.  ;D ;D ;D