Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241516 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10065 on: December 17, 2020, 12:02:02 am »
Legends never die.

Space Freely

« Reply #10066 on: December 17, 2020, 09:56:55 am »
Sidefoam didn't even know the biggest brewery opening on the east coast happened a few miles from his house, I doubt he's following the nuances of where different cans of haze from different locations of said brewery are being shipped*

*I doubt anyone is doing that except you space.

Maybe not anyone else on this board, but i think you vastly underestimate the beer geekiness of some people in the DMV.

I'm just aware of said fact because though they are owned by the same people, DTC gets a much more interesting and wider array of beer than Dominion. Other than those two stores, I don't follow the DMV beer distribution details.

DTC getting a shipment of 17 Veil beers today. Dominion getting a shipment of Deschutes Red Chair Pale Ale.

Space Freely

« Reply #10067 on: December 17, 2020, 09:58:42 am »
I actually went to their upstate location in July. Great place. Everything was outdoors and distanced. They only had three taps going and were selling mostly cans for onsite consumption.

I don't think the Brooklyn taproom is open. I wonder if this one will really open in October. I'd be fine with just grabbing cans at Downtown Crown indefinitely.

Copied from Beer Advocate:

Award-Winning Brooklyn-Based Brewery Plans Taproom & Production Facility

Brooklyn, NY (August 12, 2020) – Other Half Brewing co-founders Andrew Burman, Matt Monahan and Sam Richardson are thrilled to announce the October 2020 opening of the brewery’s Ivy City taproom & production facility at 1401 Okie Street NE, Washington, DC, 20002, in the former Pappas Tomato Factory building.

Other Half Brewing will help anchor the new Ivy City retail center neighboring the Hecht Warehouse with a 22,000-square foot production facility and taproom, including a 7,500-square foot outdoor patio with covered pavilion and roof deck and 5,000-square foot indoor tasting and taproom.

Other Half is scheduled to start brewing beer on-site in late September, with initial plans to offer curbside pick-up and delivery. The taproom will offer 20 lines of Other Half beer on draft, as well as limited collaborations from brewers and vintners from around the country and world. In addition, the brewery program will focus on award-winning hazy IPAs, lagers and barrel-aged stouts, as well as special release, limited-edition collaboration beers with eye-catching label art.

“Andrew and I grew up in the D.C. area, and we are honored to open a brewery in our hometown and join the Beltway’s amazing beer scene,” says co-founder Matt Monahan. “We’ve long admired D.C.’s dynamic brewing community and look forward to sharing our beers with guests and to collaborating with some of the world’s best brewers who call D.C. home,” says co-founder Andrew Burman.

“This is the first brewery we built to meet all our specific needs from the start,” says co-founder Sam Richardson. “We’re excited to bring our IPAs – what Other Half is known for – to D.C., but with this purpose-built brewery, we will be able to develop a more robust, barrel-aged Imperial Stout and barley wine program and the larger tanks will allow us to brew more lagers.”

Reposting this for those who missed it the first time!

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10068 on: December 17, 2020, 03:27:00 pm »
DTC getting a shipment of 17 Veil beers today. Dominion getting a shipment of Deschutes Red Chair Pale Ale.

17 is quite the haul.  Had to grab a few.

Yada

« Reply #10069 on: December 17, 2020, 04:25:08 pm »

My ex ex ex ex girlfriend from the early 2000's mom used to be the GM at Deschutes. She used to ship mirror pond pale ale here to us and I thought it was the best thing ever.

Also, may I be the first to recommend the four packs of BA Ten Fidy... maybe the best shelfie BA stout around and even at a nice $pace price point.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 04:30:11 pm by Yada »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10070 on: December 17, 2020, 04:29:00 pm »
I've been fortunate to access a lot of different canned HF IPAs this year and they are simply heaven in a glass. Shaun really is head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of brewing

heya brennser - nice to hear from you, glad all is well!

last time i had HF was on your back porch, i believe... despite having been to VT many times after that, never made it up to greensboro... my loss.

have you tried sapwood recently?
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #10071 on: December 17, 2020, 04:33:28 pm »
I've been fortunate to access a lot of different canned HF IPAs this year and they are simply heaven in a glass. Shaun really is head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of brewing

last time i had HF was on your back porch, i believe... despite having been to VT many times after that, never made it up to greensboro... my loss.

our ole friend brennser is who I split the membership with... I think his critique of Sapwood would probably mirror mine, or maybe even be a bit more harsh in terms of their bottle program.

« Reply #10072 on: December 17, 2020, 04:37:18 pm »
four packs of BA Ten Fidy... maybe the best shelfie BA stout around and even at a nice $pace price point.
$20 for 4 pack of 12 oz'ers ...that seems off on the $pace Pricing calculator?
but always looking for beers that people like...that you can actually buy, most of your recommendations you need high friends in low places
slack

Yada

« Reply #10073 on: December 17, 2020, 04:41:59 pm »
four packs of BA Ten Fidy... maybe the best shelfie BA stout around and even at a nice $pace price point.
but always looking for beers that people like...that you can actually buy, most of your recommendations you need high friends in low places

Consider a bottle of BCBS which is 16.9oz and costs roughly $12.99 to $15.99 a bottle depending on where you buy it. This is $20 for 48oz and is good as or better than said BCBS. I didn't say it was cheap, but in terms of price per ounce/style, it fits the $pace mold.

Space Freely

« Reply #10074 on: December 17, 2020, 04:44:08 pm »

My ex ex ex ex girlfriend from the early 2000's mom used to be the GM at Deschutes. She used to ship mirror pond pale ale here to us and I thought it was the best thing ever.

Also, may I be the first to recommend the four packs of BA Ten Fidy... maybe the best shelfie BA stout around and even at a nice $pace price point.

My brother moved from Seattle to Ithaca a few years ago. When he comes here to visit me, he passes up all of my local and regional beer recommendations and instead grabs a sixer of Mirror Pond to take home.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10075 on: December 17, 2020, 04:47:34 pm »

$20 for (4 x 12oz) = 0.41667/oz

vs. BCBS:
$13 for 16oz = $0.8125/oz

although it doesn't beat KBS, which is currently $18 at Total Wine (also where i got that BCBS price).
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #10076 on: December 17, 2020, 04:49:32 pm »

Consider a bottle of BCBS which is 16.9oz and costs roughly $12.99 to $15.99 a bottle depending on where you buy it. This is $20 for 48oz and is good as or better than said BCBS. I didn't say it was cheap, but in terms of price per ounce/style, it fits the $pace mold.

Would you you believe I have a couple of BA Ten Fidy cans from last year sitting in the cellar? Great beer at a good price.

Contrast that with Lagunitas Willetized, which is also out now. Good beer at a great price. BBA Biggie Smores, also out now, fits that description as well. I picked up a four pack of each of those.

Don't forget, regular KBS is going for about $17 a four pack now, too,

I did buy one bottle of regular BCBS, just because.

brennser

« Reply #10077 on: December 17, 2020, 05:02:01 pm »
The Sapwood club membership has to be one of my most disappointing decisions in craft beer. We naively thought we were gonna end up w some DeGarde like product in Columbia based on the type and pedigree of the owner. We've had a bunch of their sours and they have all been very meh with really weird adjuncts - stag horn sumac?!

So yeah that membership is getting cancelled.

I have enjoyed some of their hazy IPAs from time to time

our ole friend brennser is who I split the membership with... I think his critique of Sapwood would probably mirror mine, or maybe even be a bit more harsh in terms of their bottle program.

« Reply #10078 on: December 17, 2020, 05:04:48 pm »
ouch...that was a harsh review
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10079 on: December 17, 2020, 05:22:37 pm »
My ex ex ex ex girlfriend from the early 2000's 

I really feel like you buried the lede here.  You dated someone, then broke up with her, then dated her, then broke up with her, then dated her, then broke up with her, then dated her, then broke up with her...even though she was sending you the best beer you've ever had?  I mean, breaking up would be a hard sell for me too, but something must have been the final straw...