Author Topic: Maybe we should just elect Trump president  (Read 935887 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: Maybe we should just elect Trump president
« Reply #2760 on: January 25, 2017, 08:47:55 pm »
One one hand, he and almost all of his supporters are the kind of people who are wrong about everything, have no idea what's going on, are mad for no real reason, and aren't interested in learning anything.

On the other hand, it might be fun to have a president that just yells and insults people all the time.

A year and a half later, how say you now?
😐 🎶

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

saintangelsin

« Reply #2762 on: January 26, 2017, 02:06:40 pm »
So gross (inside and out).

Who else was there on Saturday? Inspiring crowd of people.

I had the flu all last week, and Friday Jan 20th was my mom's birthday. It was a last minute decision, but my mom, sister and I left Frostburg at 5 am. We went with friends who followed us. We passed so many busses going down 68 to 70 to 270, etc. Took the metro from College Park. Got to the national mall at 9:20 am. Was there until 5 pm. I was still slightly sick. Got dehydrated and overwhelmed by the crowds, but it was fucking awesome! We all left feeling inspired. My sister is going to spend today and tomorrow calling Senators about Betsy DeVos. We both have learning disabilities and it really pissed us off when she said some damning stuff about I.D.E.A. In fact, my sister wore a t-shirt she made to the March that stated how I.D.E.A. is what helped her graduate high school.

Anyhow, the march was insane and awesome. Also, a bit surreal because I've done a lot of matches and protests during the Bush administration and I think the largest crowd I had been in was 750k which was for the March for Women's Lives back in 2004. At that march, I was able to actually march. This past Saturday, I was stuck at the Rally and couldn't go very far because of how big the crowds were. On the way home, I told my mom that there had to have been a million people there.

Relaxer

« Reply #2763 on: January 26, 2017, 02:07:06 pm »
One one hand, he and almost all of his supporters are the kind of people who are wrong about everything, have no idea what's going on, are mad for no real reason, and aren't interested in learning anything.

On the other hand, it might be fun to have a president that just yells and insults people all the time.

A year and a half later, how say you now?

Yeah, I was able to be facetious back then because the idea that he would win was just ridiculous.

That first sentence captures the Trump phenomenon well, and when I posted it around on social media, I got lots of agreement.  
oword

« Reply #2764 on: January 26, 2017, 11:25:30 pm »
slack

K8teebug

« Reply #2766 on: January 27, 2017, 10:36:54 am »
I was there Saturday. Was at 7th and Independence. Was caught in a crush of people for about 20 minutes. That was really the only scary part of the day. Aside from that, an amazing experience. Hope this was not the only march.

Everyone who's near Columbia is also welcome to join me the second sunday of every month from 4-5 at Windstream Drive and Governor Warfield Parkway for the monthly Black Lives Matter Vigil. I've been going for a few months.

Would also recommend joining the DC SURJ meetings (or Baltimore if they're closer to you).

Love that the voicemails for the senators has been full as of late. I have gotten through a few times.

Looking forward to the science march.

Relaxer

« Reply #2767 on: January 27, 2017, 10:58:41 am »
I'm in kind of a weird place, divided between two opposing thoughts

1. I'm glad that many of the people who voted for Trump are the ones who are going to feel the effects of his presidency the most, i.e. the people who rely on government or social services (while screaming "GET THE GOVERNMENT OFF MY BACK WHERE'S MY CHECK").  Haha you dumb fuckers, you voted for this, now you reap the consequences. This lump of shit made all these unbelievably retarded promises and claims, and you are such an idiot that you accepted and supported it. Have fun losing your insurance, your job, your home (when the trade wars start), and maybe your life if he starts a stupid war. Remember, this is your own doing. Boo fucking hoo.

versus

2. I'm sad that many of the people who voted for Trump are the ones who will suffer the most because it's not their fault they were lied to, manipulated, seduced, etc. No matter how low and insulting and dishonest and racist Trump and the GOP is and was during the election, a lot of people voted for him because their lives are genuinely bad and they firmly believe politics-as-usual will never benefit them. Being able to think critically is a privilege that not everybody was fortunate enough to inherit/develop and wishing bad things for people already in a shitty situation makes you an asshole.

Ultimately, I'm sticking with #1 but I always have #2 in mind.
oword

Space Freely

« Reply #2768 on: January 27, 2017, 01:40:45 pm »

hutch

« Reply #2769 on: January 27, 2017, 01:47:09 pm »
I don't think they will suffer as much as you think.. remember their real suffering was their out of control irrational hate of Obama and Hillary... they will be able to put up with/justify/lie to themselves a lot.. you'll see.. they have a bond with Trump... most of them will hold fast unless something really dramatic happens....

Relaxer

« Reply #2770 on: January 27, 2017, 02:47:59 pm »
Well I think the effects are going to be real. He's already talking about a 20% tax on goods coming in from Mexico. If it happens, that is a very real hit to the wallet of people who are struggling to make ends meet. And for all the shitting on Obamacare, there are many millions of people who have it. If it's repealed with nothing, or dogshit legislation, in place, you're going to see a lot of people with no coverage showing up to emergency rooms.

If you're white, educated and middle class, these things aren't going to have such a huge effect on you. If you're someone living on the margins, or are struggling with finances, or have few job prospects, a Trump presidency is almost certainly going to be disastrous. I know it's way too early to cast judgement, but amid all this activity in his first week, nothing is designed to help the lower income people apart from the usual bombastic rhetoric. It's really sad how much worse it's going to get for a lot of people.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #2771 on: January 27, 2017, 02:48:26 pm »
On the other hand, suck it idiots, he's your president.
oword

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #2772 on: January 27, 2017, 03:07:18 pm »
😐 🎶

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2774 on: January 28, 2017, 05:05:27 pm »
with a shout-out to this board's resident DSM fanboy, julian:

Here?s what?s psychologically wrong with Donald Trump
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/01/27/1625715/-Here-s-what-s-psychologically-wrong-with-Donald-Trump

more:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/01/28/1626451/-Diagnosing-a-Tyrant
<sig>