Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241386 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3075 on: July 16, 2013, 09:30:03 am »
I can't decide if buying fresh goat cheese from a man with no pants is the best idea ever, or the worst.

Yada

« Reply #3076 on: July 16, 2013, 12:27:37 pm »
Seven beers from Lawson's at this festival!

Here is the full line up. Gettin' giddy.

http://www.vtbrewfest.com/pdfs/festival_guide.pdf

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3077 on: July 16, 2013, 02:22:40 pm »
Heavy Seas Growler Launch Party!
http://www.hsbeer.com/growler-launch-party/
Includes Growler Fills & Beer Samples*
This Friday - July 19th  4 - 7 PM

We've got extrAARGHdinary news! For the first time ever, Heavy Seas will be filling growlers at our brewery with your favorite Heavy Seas beer! Thanks to changes in legislation, you can now take home 64 fluid ounces of the freshest draft beer that we offer directly from where it's made! Stop in anytime from 4 - 7 pm this Friday to get your growler filled & to join in the celebration!

*Souvenir pint glass & 5 beer samples for $5

After July 19th, our weekly growler filling hours will be:
 Thursdays & Fridays:  4 - 7 pm*
 Saturdays: Noon - 5 pm*
ONLY on Saturdays when public tours are scheduled
(visit www.HeavySeasBeer.com for tour dates)

*These hours are temporary.
We will establish a different set of hours after the opening of our new tasting room!
Please check our website, e-Newsletter, Facebook & Twitter for updates.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3078 on: July 16, 2013, 02:58:24 pm »
reminder for those in need of some blue rock & beer this weekend:

A celebration of all things Gonzo and the Good Doctor.

This Saturday, July 20, The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, with We Are Hex, will rock our outdoor stage for Gonzofest, our annual homage to Hunter S. Thompson.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."

Tickets are $25 in advance, $30 at the door. We can't guarantee we'll have them at the door, so get yours now.

"Good people drink good beer."

On draft:

Belgian Devil (world premiere of our August Brewhouse Rarities release)
    Brewhouse Rarities Pineapple Saison
    Brewhouse Rarities Easy IPA
    Natural Selection Ale (our collaboration with Evolution Brewing Co.)
    Gonzo Imperial Porter
    Woody Creek Belgian White
    Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout
    Doggie Style Pale Ale
    UnderDog Atlantic Lager
    Snake Dog IPA

On cask:

Raging Bitch Belgian Style IPA with mango and habanero
    Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout in oak
    Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout with chocolate mint
    Dogtoberfest Marzen with basil, green peppercorn, and grains of paradise
    Snake Dog IPA with CTZ hops and cinnamon basil

"The food factor should always be massive."

El Cuervo Tacos
    The Smoking Swine BBQ
    Wheyich Gourmet Sandwiches

Show is 21+ and a valid ID is required for entry. All beer is sold a la carte for $4 each. All food sold separately.

http://flyingdogales.com/ai1ec_event/summer-sessions-gonzofest/
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3079 on: July 16, 2013, 06:21:48 pm »
DC Beer Week is a celebration of good beer in the National Capital Region from conception to consumption and everyone and everything in between. DC Beer Week aims to educate all on good beer through various events and seminars from August 11th through the 18th. #DCBW2013

Events: http://dcbeerweek.net/flagship-events/
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3080 on: July 16, 2013, 06:22:12 pm »
Talking Pints: Local Beer Tastings with Brewers
LivingSocial's 918 F Street ? Washington, DC
https://livingsocial.com/events/cities/1-washington-d-c/774510-talking-pints-local-beer-tastings-with-brewers

Thursday, July 25 ? 6:00PM, 8:30PM
    Friday, July 26 ? 6:00PM, 8:30PM
    Saturday, July 27 ? 6:00PM, 8:30PM
    Sunday, July 28 ? 6:00PM, 8:30PM
    Friday, August 2 ? 6:00PM, 8:30PM
    Sunday, August 4 ? 6:00PM, 8:30PM
    Wednesday, August 7 ? 6:00PM, 8:30PM
    Thursday, August 8 ? 6:00PM, 8:30PM

What you get

- Choice of Date and Featured Brewery
    - Tasting of Six Beers
    - Discussion + Q&A with the Brewmaster

In honor of DC Beer Week (August 11-18), LivingSocial's 918 F Street is bringing you this special brewmasters series leading up to all the sudsy events. Grab your ticket for a craft beer tasting and discussion with the folks behind the beer from one of these featured microbreweries:

Thursday, July 25
DC Brau Brewing Company or 3 Stars Brewing Company: Founded in 2009 -- making it the first production brewery within the capital's borders in more than 50 years -- DC Brau boasts some 40 brews and a cult following.

The District's third newest brewery, 3 Stars, debuted their first beers nearly a year ago with much praise from The Washington Post.

Friday, July 26
Fordham & Dominion Brewing Co.: These two award-winning Mid-Atlantic breweries came together and settled into Delaware back in 2007. With more than 40 years combined brewing experience they continue to produce handcrafted favorites like the Oak Barrel Stout, Double D IPA, Rams Head IPA, and Copperhead Ale.

Saturday, July 27
Evolution Craft Brewing Co.: This small-batch brewery operates out of a converted grocery store near Salisbury, tapping favorites like the Exile ESB English-style pale ale, Lot No3 IPA, Lucky 7 porter, and the Caribbean-style Rise Up stout.

Sunday, July 28
Capitol City Brewing Company: The first brewpub in DC since Prohibition, Cap City pours out four signature brews -- Capitol Kolsch, Pale Rider Ale, Amber Waves Ale, and Prohibition Porter -- and rotating seasonal brews accompanied by bar eats at their downtown and Shirlington locations.

Friday, August 2
Heavy Seas Beer: With a production brewery in Halethorpe and sales in 18 states as well as DC, Heavy Seas is growing -- and fast. The 17-year-old brewery produced more than 35,000 barrels of their flagship beer, Loose Cannon, and others just last year.

Sunday, August 4
Union Craft Brewing: Baltimore's first production brewery in more than 30 years, the year-old Union Craft operates in the city's historic Woodberry neighborhood. Their Balt Altbier won gold at Denver's Great American Beer Festival in the German Style Altbier category last year.

Wednesday, August 7
Mad Fox Brewing Company: This European-style gastropub in Falls Church -- touted as the DC area's "most award-winning brewpub" -- brews a rotating selection of cask lagers and ales on-site in German, English, Belgian, and American styles.

Thursday, August 8
Gordon Biersch with District ChopHouse & Brewery: Following the 16th-century Reinheitsgebot rules for brewing (ie, using only barley, hops, yeast, and water), Gordon Biersch has been producing German-style lagers -- including Marzen, Hefeweizen, and Blonde Bock -- at its 9th Street NW location for 13 years.

Since 1997, District ChopHouse & Brewery has been serving fresh hand-crafted beer in the setting of a '40s-era steakhouse. All of their beer is brewed on-site (except for special events and tastings).
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #3081 on: July 17, 2013, 12:22:57 am »
Gordon Biersh is a microbrewery?  The rest of the places sound intersting but GB is a chain restaurant with bad food and bad beer.  We were in Columbus once heading to a decent restaurant and our Vice President sees us and tell us to go with him to Gordon Biersh.  5 years later I am still angry about this.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3082 on: July 17, 2013, 12:54:17 pm »
gordon biersh makes horrible beer.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3083 on: July 17, 2013, 02:29:32 pm »
Gordon Biersch only makes lagers.  I prefer ales.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3084 on: July 17, 2013, 03:15:02 pm »
Gordon Biersch only makes lagers.  I prefer ales.

i was at a GB about a month ago, and they had a hefewiezen and a belgian golden strong on tap... so while they make mostly lagers, it appears they do make some ales.
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3085 on: July 17, 2013, 05:11:05 pm »
and their food, decor, the seats, the tables and windows and rugs on the floor . . . even the sidewalks outside, are tacky.

James Ford

« Reply #3086 on: July 17, 2013, 07:20:13 pm »
GB is craft beer for people who don't drink beer.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #3087 on: July 18, 2013, 09:59:00 am »
Anyone know what's the latest with Bluejacket?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3088 on: July 18, 2013, 10:39:04 am »

on their facebook page last week, in response to someone asking when they are opening their doors, they replied: "Not a specific date, just later this summer."
<sig>

slappy

« Reply #3089 on: July 18, 2013, 10:40:09 am »

They've been busy brewing and collaborating with Stone, Bend, 10Barrel, and Maine.
Still on construction, should be finish Aug 11. according to their twitter feed.

While Gordon Biersch isn't the greatest place, the all out hate is a little over the top and ignorant.

Lager's are my least favorite but I'll enjoy a Bock occasionally. They do an above average job at the style. I'd take their Maibock over Rogue Dead Guy any day.

They had an Eisenbock on tap a few weeks ago that was really good.

I think a 'meh' is more justified than 'blech' on their beer and the food/ambiance is still miles ahead of a Green Turtle. I'd also give them props for not ruining the Chophouse Brewing operation when they acquired them.