Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241525 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3180 on: July 31, 2013, 12:19:01 pm »
From the Blackback Pub website in WAterbury, VT. Wonder if it's aimed at their competitors?

See our facebook page for up to the minute postings of new beers. I try to keep as much Hill Farmstead on as possible as well as Lawson's beers.  I also try to always have a quality Belgian Sour on tap as well as something from Mikkeller as well as top quality German beers from Kolsch to Doppelbock to Pils and HefeWeiss.  We run anywhere from 16 to 25 beers on tap depending on what is available.  We don't run 25 beers all the time because there aren't always 25 beers that are good enough.  In short, NO FILLER or GARBAGE CRAFT BEER.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3181 on: August 01, 2013, 02:03:17 pm »
be on the lookout for special events at beer bars on Aug 1:

IPA Day Is Back: August 1, 2013
http://www.craftbeer.com/news/ipa-day-is-back-august-1-2013

hoppy IPA day!
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #3182 on: August 01, 2013, 02:31:38 pm »
From the Blackback Pub website in WAterbury, VT. Wonder if it's aimed at their competitors?

See our facebook page for up to the minute postings of new beers. I try to keep as much Hill Farmstead on as possible as well as Lawson's beers.  I also try to always have a quality Belgian Sour on tap as well as something from Mikkeller as well as top quality German beers from Kolsch to Doppelbock to Pils and HefeWeiss.  We run anywhere from 16 to 25 beers on tap depending on what is available.  We don't run 25 beers all the time because there aren't always 25 beers that are good enough.  In short, NO FILLER or GARBAGE CRAFT BEER.

Sounds like a pompous asshole.

slappy

« Reply #3183 on: August 01, 2013, 03:04:39 pm »
mikkeller, good

heavy seas, not good.  after having two of them in my life, one being hopthreeipa and then something else at some concert that was better than what i was drinking, but that wasnt saying much, i can say i dont think it is quality; well atleast not quality enough for my tender tongue of beer tastiness.

Agreed.  I do not get the raves about Heavy Seas.  Just takes like pure syrup to me.  ick.

Go to the Heavy Seas Ale House and have their firkins.  Those are good.  I had the Red Sky at Night out of a Firkin and it was simply amazing.  Got it in the bottle and it wasn't good at all.

+1 on their firkins. Paradiso sometimes has them too. Had their stout on cask a month ago and was really impressed.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3184 on: August 01, 2013, 03:43:52 pm »

All I'm saying is my wife and I had some of Sweetcell's latest IPA creation on a SAturday, and then both had Bell's Two Hearted on draft on a Sunday, and we both agreed that Sweetcell's was superior. And it wasn't even close, in my book.

I had my first Bell's Two Hearted Ale in over a year over the weekend and it wasn't good at all... Bell's quality has gone way down in the past few years.

Should this be in the beer thread?

probably :)

i bought a 6-pack of two-hearted a few months ago and was underwhelmed.  i believe that i wrote about it here.  i'm not sure if it's because the quality of the beer has gone down, or because of lupuline shift - as my appreciation of hops has increased, what was once hoppy and bitter for me is no longer.  probably a mix of both.

in case anyone cares, my latest IPA was made with galaxy hops & a touch of oatmeal (recipe).
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3185 on: August 01, 2013, 06:38:29 pm »
First Look: Atlas Brew Works (opening very soon!)

http://brightestyoungthings.com/articles/first-look-atlas-brew-works.htm

(wow, a BYT article that didn't piss me off)
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3186 on: August 01, 2013, 10:50:48 pm »
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #3187 on: August 02, 2013, 09:45:24 am »
I had a dogfish head 60 minute IPA on draft last night and I didn't even like it anymore.  And the bartender told me this other IPA was great and gave me a free sample adn I didn't like it either. I guess I am just done with them.  I guess I got there at the begining of the FAD so I got tired of it before everyone else. 

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3188 on: August 02, 2013, 10:52:48 am »
The good news is that taste is subjective, and you are free to enjoy your drink of choice. 

I kind of understand anchovies on pizza, and will even occasionally eat them if somebody else got them, but would never order them myself.

imbecile

« Reply #3189 on: August 02, 2013, 02:49:23 pm »
Snallygaster is back on this year - Saturday, October 19th

http://www.snallygasterdc.com/

Did anyone go to this last year?  I thought about it but didn't.  Then heard good things mentioned vaguely, but nothing from anyone who went personally.  It'll be walking distance for me this year so seriously considering it.

Yada

« Reply #3190 on: August 02, 2013, 02:50:55 pm »

Did anyone go to this last year?  I thought about it but didn't.  Then heard good things mentioned vaguely, but nothing from anyone who went personally.  It'll be walking distance for me this year so seriously considering it.

I went last year and the first two hours or so were awesome... By mid afternoon every drunk bro in DC was there and the good beers were gone.

atomicfront

« Reply #3191 on: August 02, 2013, 02:55:32 pm »
The good news is that taste is subjective, and you are free to enjoy your drink of choice. 

I kind of understand anchovies on pizza, and will even occasionally eat them if somebody else got them, but would never order them myself.

Anchoives on Pizza and IPA beers is a good analogy. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #3192 on: August 03, 2013, 08:49:51 am »

I went last year and the first two hours or so were awesome... By mid afternoon every drunk bro in DC was there and the good beers were gone.

indeed - similar experience here. 

get there right when they open, run to the delicious beer lines, enjoy said delicious beer, and then leave before bros infiltrate.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3193 on: August 05, 2013, 12:20:03 pm »
new IIPA to be on the lookout for?

Full disclosure: This beer came to fruition because we saw a gap in our portfolio and we wanted to increase our market share.

Sometimes the truth hurts. But most often, it?s damn refreshing.

The Truth Imperial IPA ? the latest addition to our year-round portfolio ? is a hop bomb of some of the most distinct Pacific Northwest varietals available to craft brewers today.

In fact, three years of crafting our Single Hop Imperial IPAs with some of the most rare and flavorful hop varieties enabled us to craft this bold, yet balanced Imperial IPA. Its sharp hop bitterness begins with huge pine notes on the nose, which evolve into bright citrus and subtle stone fruit flavors.

You can find The Truth in Maryland and Washington, DC on shelves and in stores this month. And be sure to check out our release events on Friday, August 16:
    Jojo?s Taphouse in Frederick, MD
    Mahaffey?s Pub in Baltimore, MD
    Smoke and Barrel in Washington, DC

and from http://flyingdogales.com/beers/the-truth/
IBU = 120, hops = warrior, summit, CTZ, citra, amarillo.

could be tasty.  until distribution of this beer is ramped up, i would think that this beer has some trading in the short term.  and i might have mentioned this before, but FD's Double Dog is pretty damn tasty (http://flyingdogales.com/beers/double-dog-double-pale-ale/).

<sig>

« Reply #3194 on: August 05, 2013, 02:44:32 pm »
Any one have some suggestions for DC Beer week
Last year I foolishly thought a church key event would be a good one to go to and it was insanely packed and you couldn't even get to the bar

There are tons of great events, but curious if there are any you think might be great but overlooked by the masses
slack