Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241911 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3225 on: August 13, 2013, 03:07:54 pm »
If something is overpriced but there is nothing comparable available at a lower price, I might buy it, if it's good.

If something is overpriced and there's a comparable item at a more reasonable price, then it's not worth the price.

To me Lunch is overpriced and not woth the price because there are so many better priced IPA's.

To me KBS is overpriced, but I'll but it anyway because there's nothing else comparable that's cheaper.

I quite liked Lunch and Zoe, but found Mo to be pretty meh.

Though all of them are overpriced and not worth the price, imo.

Is there a difference between overpriced and not worth the price?

atomicfront

« Reply #3226 on: August 13, 2013, 03:11:24 pm »
BTW MPP has all the Goose Island beers including my new favorite 312.  However, there booth was cash only and there was a line for the ATM so I just paid 12 bucks for Corona.  24 oz of Corona but still that is overpiced but worth the price as I didn't have to wait in any lines.

« Reply #3227 on: August 13, 2013, 03:16:36 pm »
this sounds interesting...although quite a stretch on linking NY to it

Only Beer Can Break Your Heart with Allagash and Boulevard - A Tribute to Neil Young and Poutine - Smoke and Barrel
Thursday, August 15 at 5:00 PM - Only Beer Can Break Your Heart with Allagash and Boulevard - A Tribute to Neil Young and Poutine - Smoke and Barrel - 2471 18th Street NW
24 Boulevard/Allagash drafts including the release of Boulevard Reverb Imperial Pilsner plus Saison-Brett, Rye-on-Rye, Coffee Ale, and out-of-market drafts Zon Witbier, Pale Ale, and Single-Wide IPA. Allagash drafts will include Bourbon Black, Confluence, Victor, Victoria, Grand Cru, Odyssey, Fluxus 2013, Yakuza, and the brewery-only Golden Brett. Smoke & Barrel's Chef Logan McGear will also be showcasing several poutine recipes including beer pairings, to celebrate Neil Young's Canadian birthplace, and the best food product to ever come out of that country. This event was the brainchild of Allagash's Suzy Woods and Boulevard's "Heff" Matthew Heffernan who share a love of the music of Neil Young and french fries topped with gravy and other assorted toppings
.Full Draft List:
Boulevard Reverb
Boulevard Rye-on-Rye
Boulevard Saison Brett
Boulevard Coffee Ale
Boulevard Zon
Boulevard Pale Ale
Boulevard Single-Wide IPA
Boulevard Double Wide IPA
Boulevard 80 Acre
Boulevard Tank 7
Allagash White
Allagash Black
Allagash Curieux
Allagash Tripel
Allagash Blonde
Allagash Fluxus 2013
Allagash Confluence
Allagash Victor
Allagash Victoria
Allagash Yakuza
Allagash Golden Brett
Allagash Odyssey
Allagash Grand Cru
Allagash Bourbon Black

When
Thu Aug 15, 2013 5pm ? 10pm Eastern Time

Where
2471 18th Street NW (map)
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3228 on: August 13, 2013, 03:28:10 pm »
Maine BeerCo was the subject of some unfounded hype, IMO.  they got some buzz and for a while Lunch was *the* beer to track down.  when i finally got an opportunity to try it, it didn't live up to the hype.  it was a very nice IPA, but more bitter than hoppy.  i'll give it another change, when i next get the chance, but i'm no longer hunting it down.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #3229 on: August 13, 2013, 03:31:57 pm »
How much is a pint of Borubon County Stout going for? How about Sofie, Matilda, Pepe Nero, or King Henry?

BTW MPP has all the Goose Island beers including my new favorite 312.  However, there booth was cash only and there was a line for the ATM so I just paid 12 bucks for Corona.  24 oz of Corona but still that is overpiced but worth the price as I didn't have to wait in any lines.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #3230 on: August 13, 2013, 03:34:38 pm »
Lunch was crazy hyped-up, but I agree, it was just good. Nothing amazing.

I'm going to try to hit up the Mad Fox event at Smoke & Barrel tonight.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3231 on: August 13, 2013, 03:41:35 pm »
a poutine and beer event... i'm shedding a tear over here.  and those are some fine allagash offerings - the bourbon barrel black and yakuza are quite rare.  going to try to make this one.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #3232 on: August 13, 2013, 04:12:50 pm »
i'll be at smoke and barrel thursday after CK :D  allagash bourbon black is killer, and rye-on-rye is a favorite of mine.

friday is a work-from-home, kind of day.

James Ford

« Reply #3233 on: August 14, 2013, 08:36:25 am »
Is James Ford on vacation or something?

So I had a week last week that was split between business and pleasure. We tried to hit a number of beer related places. In the order visited:

Shmaltz Brewing, Clifton Park, NY www.shmaltzbrewing.com
Beer: Five 6 oz pours for $10, you keep the glass. Some nice high abv options, both draft and bottle.
Food: none
Music: classic rock and my wife claims there was a Common song
Other:
Grade: B+

Vices et Versa (bar/restuarant) Montreal, QC www.vicesetversa.com
Beer:30 or so Quebec microbrews on draft, including DDC beers.
Food: decent pub food
Music: Very cool obscure retro rockabilly and bluegrass
Other: Nice outdoor beer garden and they let the kids sit anywhere inside as well (see DDC below)
Grade:A

Dieu du Ciel (brewpub), Montreal, QC www.dieuduciel.com
Beer: 15 or so DDC beers on draft, all that we tried were awesome
Food: Didn't order any
Music: None
Other: No longer allow kids in the "bar area" which consists of the entire inside ("because the cops cracked down"...which sounds like total BS). Fortunately, kids are allowed outdoors
Grade:A-

Hill Farmstead Brewery, Greensboro, VT www.hillfarmstead.com
Beer: Four small tastings for $5. Each delicious, each better than the last. Shaun Hill's mother was pouring the samples.
Food: None
Music: Like they had MY ipod hooked up. Wilco, Neil Young, Uncle Tupelo, Sharon Jones, My Morning Jacket, Band of Horses, early Radiohead, Spoon, etc.
Other: We arrived 25 mins before opening, Shaun Hill was in the driveway chatting with someone. We were second in line. Our tragic mistake was getting out of the growler fill line when they opened and opting for the sampling line first. I ended up in the growler line for 90 minutes because of that.
Grade: A

Lost Nation Brewery, Morrisville, VT www.lostnation.com
Beer: A gose, a black ale, a "rustic" ale, a saison, and some kind of other low abv Belgian. No IPA's or even pale ales in sight. Only five really, really tasty low abv beers done very well.
Food: Outsourced to the Mad Taco (see below). Non-taco menu that changes weekly. Creative and very tasty, small menu but always with a veggie option (we had a smoked eggplant sandwich and watermelon salad). And at a fraction of the cost of the Farmhouse and the Pig (see below)
Music: Pixies, Shins, and other pleasant but fogettable indie rock
Other: Just opened in June. My biggest find and most pleasant surprise.

Rock Art Brewery, Morrisville, VT www.rockartbrewery.com
Beer: Decent but nothing to write home about. $4 for a flight of four. Not terribly unique, typical American brewery beer styles. Like a smaller, lower quality version of a visit to Heavy Seas tasting room, without the take home glass.
Other:
Grade: C+

The Alchemist (Brewery), Waterbury, VT www.alchemist.com
Beer: Four servings of Heady Topper (STILL the best beer in the world!), first sample free, next three $1 each. Need I say more?
Music: The Zappa-esque white funk music playing was obviously for the workers, not the customers.
Other: One case per person limit by the time we arrived. Planted ourselves in front of the sit down PACMAN game, kept our daughter occupied while we enjoyed our Headys.

The Prohibition Pig (Restaurant), Waterbury, VT www.prohibitionpig.com
Beer: Thurs night, not a single IPA or pale ale on draft from the VT big three.
Food: BBQ tempeh was dry but tasty. Definitely overpriced at $17.
Other:
Grade:B-

The Farmhouse Tap and Grill, Burlington, VT www.farmhousetg.com
Beer: Website and even beer list on chakboard at bar said they had Lawson's Double Sunshine on draft, however when we sat down, we were informed that "the Lawson's truck hasn't arrived yet. But the Hill Farmstead Edward is very similiar." Yes, a 5% pale ale is very simliar to an 8% DIPA. Not!
Food: Tasty but pricey. $14 for a black bean burger at lunch.
Other: Wife noted there were lots of old people here. Probably they are the most likely to afford $14 black bean burgers.
Grade:B

Beverage Warehouse (bottle shop), Winooski, VT www.beveragewarehouse.com
Beer: Probably the best bottle selection in VT. Called them multiple times and managed to score a bottle each of Double Sunshine (one bttle per peson limit), which probably sold out in an hour or two.
Food: nope
Music: nope
Other: I asked to use the bathroom. They said "we lost the key. We had regulars coming in to use the bathroom so we had a key made then we lost it." I peed in the parking lot.
Grade:A-

The Warren Store (general store with small beer selection), Warren, VT www.warrenstore.com
Beer: They were doing a free tasting of Green Flash beers. Can't complain about that. Found a slew of 2011 Pannepot for $6 for a 11.2 oz bottle. Is that a rare find? Should I have bought more than one?
Food: Daughter enjoyed the homemade ice cream sandwich, I though it was pretty average.
Music:Nope
Other: The pushy middle age saleslady and 50 year old white guy with dreads (or was it a ponytail? I think that described half the men in Vermont) writing a personal check (and slowwwwwly filling out the ledger during the transaction) caused me to remark, "Vermont people are sort of annoying, but that's probably just because we're assholes."
Grade: B-

The Mad Taco, Waitsfield, VT www.themadtaco.com
Beer: Side by side of Lawson's Double Sunshine and a can of Heady ($5, cheapest price at any dining establishment). Ahhh. Vermont beer nirvana.
Food:Good lord, their tacos are tasty
Music: Ramones, Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, Specials. Excellent vintage tunes.
Other: Interior of place very bare bones and smelled a bit funky. Ate in the beer garden which gave a nice view of the rest of the strip mall. Didn't matter, the beer and food combo was the highlight of the trip.
Grade: A+

The Old Saratoga Brewery, Saratoga, NY www.oldesaratogabrew.com
Beer: Decent. As many free samples as you want
Other:
Grade: B+; As much free beer as you want. What other brewery tasting room in the world offers that?

Troegs Brewery, Hershey, PA www.troegs.com
Beer: Troegs isn't in the same league as the Vermont big three or DDC, but they are still quite tasty.
Food: Solid but unspectacular
Other: Something about the German beer hall style of the place just hits the right spot
Grade: B+

Didn't get to Magic Hat, Fiddleheads, or Von Trapp in Vermont. Ommegang in Coooperstown, which we've hit in the past, was closed due to their Belgian Beer Fest.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:48:12 am by James Ford »

atomicfront

« Reply #3234 on: August 14, 2013, 09:27:55 am »
I like how James Ford considers a place to have music if they are playing a tape of well known artists.  Music means live music James Ford otherwise who gives a poop.

James Ford

« Reply #3235 on: August 14, 2013, 09:32:37 am »
I too, like it when a dining establishment, a bar, or even someone's house party has music playing. It says something about the establishment or person that they actually care enough about music to make a point of playing it. Even better if it's music that i actually like!

Yada

« Reply #3236 on: August 14, 2013, 09:41:23 am »
So they've reduced the limit to a case, eh??

Interesting...

atomicfront

« Reply #3237 on: August 14, 2013, 09:41:44 am »
I too, like it when a dining establishment, a bar, or even someone's house party has music playing. It says something about the establishment or person that they actually care enough about music to make a point of playing it. Even better if it's music that i actually like!

If they cared about music they would have live music.  Or have music from local artists.  

brennser

« Reply #3238 on: August 14, 2013, 09:46:16 am »
Great write up JF - quite jealous!

Our tragic mistake was getting out of the growler fill line when they opened and opting for the sampling line first. I ended up in the growler line for 90 minutes because of that.

Mindblowing isn't it how long they take to fill growlers? Even at 90 minutes I'd be there were only about 10 people in front of you right?

Thurs night, not a single IPA or pale ale on draft from the VT big three.

:o :o :o :o :o WOW
 - did you try Blackback across the street?

I asked to use the bathroom. They said "we lost the key. We had regulars coming in to use the bathroom so we had a key made then we lost it." I peed in the parking lot.

Having peed in that bathroom I can categorically state that the parking lot was a significantly more pleasant and hygienic place to pee

James Ford

« Reply #3239 on: August 14, 2013, 09:55:48 am »
Totally forgot to try Blackback.
 :(
And the Mad Taco does the food at the Blackback, so totally bummed we didn't go there. Our first experience at the Pig a year ago was so positive, we were just dead set on going again. And my wife accessed an outdated PP draft list on her iphone that incorrectly listed them having Heady and Edward on draft...which we learned was  untrue only after we had been seated (guess should have asked of they had Heady in a can). We did have Lawson's Maple Wheat and Jack's Abbey Hoponius Union, both of which were unfortunately underwhelming.