Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3242061 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3270 on: August 15, 2013, 01:49:56 pm »
the more common approach of pouring the beer out of a regular tap, the beer is getting oxidized as it's going in... not good.  i wouldn't wait more than a week.  a big, dark beer like an RIS could probably stand 2 or 3 weeks, since some oxidation contributes to the style.  definitely keep it in the fridge.

I'm no expert...but this is good advice.  Since they are pouring it out of a tap, you get lots of that pesky oxygen in there.
And the 'seal' some guy screwing on a cap is not going to help much

and yes they must be drunk (as will you be) in one sitting
they will not last overnight
slack

atomicfront

« Reply #3271 on: August 15, 2013, 02:05:07 pm »
the more common approach of pouring the beer out of a regular tap, the beer is getting oxidized as it's going in... not good.  i wouldn't wait more than a week.  a big, dark beer like an RIS could probably stand 2 or 3 weeks, since some oxidation contributes to the style.  definitely keep it in the fridge.

I'm no expert...but this is good advice.  Since they are pouring it out of a tap, you get lots of that pesky oxygen in there.
And the 'seal' some guy screwing on a cap is not going to help much

and yes they must be drunk (as will you be) in one sitting
they will not last overnight

That is not true.  I had one that still had good carbonation after a week after opening.

You get oxygen in there when you bottle your home brew. 

atomicfront

« Reply #3272 on: August 15, 2013, 02:50:13 pm »
I like how people are giving advice on the subject with no personal knowledge.  No one is saying I drank a growler 2 weeks after getting it and it was awful or how it was fine.  They are basically using no evidence of any kind to back up what they are saying.

« Reply #3273 on: August 15, 2013, 02:50:35 pm »

That is not true.  I had one that still had good carbonation after a week after opening.

Again...no expert, but when you add the yeast and let it bubble for a little while, then you fill a bottle.  There is some additional fermentation/conditioning that happens in the bottle
Once it's added to a keg and poured through a tap...you are not really getting any additional conditioning

...not an expert
slack

« Reply #3274 on: August 15, 2013, 02:53:41 pm »
I like how people are giving advice on the subject with no personal knowledge.  No one is saying I drank a growler 2 weeks after getting it and it was awful or how it was fine.  They are basically using no evidence of any kind to back up what they are saying.
Bought a Honey 21 Growler from Cap city (a very drinkable afternoon beer btw) and had 80% killed and left in the fridge sealed overnight.  Poured one the next afternoon and was flat as molly ringwald
slack

Yada

« Reply #3275 on: August 15, 2013, 03:03:55 pm »
Bought a Honey 21 Growler from Cap city (a very drinkable afternoon beer btw) and had 80% killed and left in the fridge sealed overnight.  Poured one the next afternoon and was flat as molly ringwald

atomicfront doesn't know shit about shit.

atomicfront

« Reply #3276 on: August 15, 2013, 03:37:02 pm »

atomicfront doesn't know shit about shit.

Know more than Yada.  Your script must not be working.  You might want to go back to development on that one.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3277 on: August 15, 2013, 04:51:18 pm »

Again...no expert, but when you add the yeast and let it bubble for a little while, then you fill a bottle.  There is some additional fermentation/conditioning that happens in the bottle
Once it's added to a keg and poured through a tap...you are not really getting any additional conditioning

...not an expert

yup.  when bottling homebrew you do indeed expose your beer to oxygen and this isn't a great thing - this is why you want to bottle quickly, and not let the beer sit in your bottling bucket overnight.   because you're adding priming sugar before bottling you're reactivating the yeast - and the yeast will scrub most if not all of that oxygen (this is done inside the bottle, not out in the open). 

when you fill a bottle with homebrew, you are (or should be) using a bottling wand that fills from the bottom up - which is great for reducing splashing and how much beer gets aerated.  when filling a growler from a bar tap, you are slowly pouring the beer through the air.  it falls from the tap, into the bottle, then dribbles along the sides until it hit the bottom.  it ALL gets exposed to air.

once again, atomic front is wrong.
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #3278 on: August 15, 2013, 05:22:00 pm »

...not an expert

yup.  when bottling homebrew you do indeed expose your beer to oxygen and this isn't a great thing - this is why you want to bottle quickly, and not let the beer sit in your bottling bucket overnight.   because you're adding priming sugar before bottling you're reactivating the yeast - and the yeast will scrub most if not all of that oxygen (this is done inside the bottle, not out in the open). 

when you fill a bottle with homebrew, you are (or should be) using a bottling wand that fills from the bottom up - which is great for reducing splashing and how much beer gets aerated.  when filling a growler from a bar tap, you are slowly pouring the beer through the air.  it falls from the tap, into the bottle, then dribbles along the sides until it hit the bottom.  it ALL gets exposed to air.

once again, atomic front is wrong.

You are wrong.  I can't believe people on here are such idiots.  Well in the beer thread.  If I say the beer is fine and carbonated a month after getting I am not wrong.  You have evidence you get through conjecture.  I have real life experience.  Beer was fine after a month.   Oxygen gets in when you bottle home brew.  I don't use a wand.  My beer tastes great.  But who cares you have your opinion based on nothing.  I have actual experience.  If you drank beer after a month and it was flat or skuny please say as much otherwise you are just talking out your azz.  But what do I expect you were trolling 6 years ago and you are trolling now. 

You must get beaten up a lot of you act like this in real life.  I mean someone says the beer was fine after a month after sitting in the fridge and you say the person is wrong.  I am guessing you are real fun at parties. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 05:23:50 pm by atomicfront »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3279 on: August 15, 2013, 06:05:36 pm »
Clearly the only way to solve this debate is for everybody to send me beer.

« Reply #3280 on: August 15, 2013, 09:04:23 pm »
  I am guessing you are real fun at parties. 

I'm guessing you are not....
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3281 on: August 15, 2013, 09:08:18 pm »
Beer

James Ford

« Reply #3282 on: August 15, 2013, 09:47:11 pm »
In case any of y'all are into the hoppy beer fad...

MAX?S HOPFEST

AUGUST 16-18, 2013

11am-2am each day

No entrance fee

We will have over 70 Hoppy Draft and over 70 hoppy Bottles

CASKS:

Terrapin Golden Ale w/ Motueka

Terrapin Golden Ale w/ Galaxy

Terrapin Golden Ale w/ Strisselspalt

Terrapin Golden Ale w/ Golding

Terrapin Golden Ale w/ Nelson Sauvin

Flying Dog Double Dog

Flying Dog Imperial Sorachi Ace

Plus a few other Casks????????????????????.

ON DRAFT-90%DONE

21st Amendment Hop Crisis

Agullons Pura pale

Aztec Sacrifice Red IPA

Aztec Chipotle IPA

Baird Suruga Bay Imperial IPA

Ballast Point Dorado

Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin

Bear Republic Racer 5000

Bear Republic Black Racer

Bear Republic Crazy Ivan

Bear Republic Grand Am

Burley Oak Bulletproof Tiger

Burley Oak Aboriginal Gangster

Buxton Imperial Black IPA

Crown Valley Wooden Nickel IPA

Crown Valley Gunslinger Imperial IPA

Dieu Du Ciel Penombre

Dog/Baying Hound Scratch N Sniff White IPA

Dogfish Head 120 Minute

Dugges High Five

Elysian Konishiki

Evolution Incubator

Flying Dog Double Dog (Nitro)

Flying Dog Doggie Style (Nitro)

Flying Dog Raging Bitch(Nitro)

Flying Dog Snake Dog (Nitro)

Flying The Truth

Great Divide Rumble

Green Flash Hop Odyssey Citra Session

Green Flash Imperial IPA

Green Flash West Coast IPA

Haandbryggeriet Belgisk Pale

Heavy Seas Big DIPA

Kerkom Hop Verdomme

Lancaster Boss Hog

Lervig Rye IPA

Maine Mo

Marina Costa Brava

Marina Devils IPA

Marina pale Ale

Mikkeller/Lervig Big Eye

Mikkeller 20

Midifyns Double IPA

Oxbow Farmhouse Pale

Schlalfy Hoppy Wheat

Sierra Nevada West Coast IPA

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum

Sierra Nevada Belgian Black IPA

Smuttynose/Stone Cluster Last Stand

Smuttynose Dirty

Stone Coconut IPA

Stone 17th Anniversary

Stone Ruination tropical heat

Struise Hopverdomme

Struise Motuecha

Terrapin Monks Revenge

Troegs Scratch 97

Trou Du Diable Morsure

Toccalmatto B Space Invader

Toccalamtto Re Hop

Toccalmatto Skizoid

Toccalmatto Zona

Toccalmatto Grooving hop

To Ol Dangerously Close to Stoopid

Union Farmhouse Double IPA

Yards Cape of Good Hope

atomicfront

« Reply #3283 on: August 16, 2013, 09:51:08 am »
The Flying Dog Snake Dog (Nitro) sounds interesting.   

« Reply #3284 on: August 16, 2013, 09:55:39 am »
Any reports from BeerWeekDC?
slack