Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241485 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3630 on: October 04, 2013, 04:39:57 pm »
your basement . . . must smell, interesting.  mine smells like the cat box, sometimes.

James Ford

« Reply #3631 on: October 04, 2013, 04:40:03 pm »
bottle share/baby welcoming party at sweetcell's.

but anyway, i, or i dont think, anybody has done this in a while.  what have you bought, what got you excited in the beer storee? 

these days i'm most excited about my home brews.  before the twins were born, i went on a brewing rampage.  i knew i wouldn't be brewing much in the coming months so i stocked up the cellar. 

currently serving:
- citra/rye imperial saison (used a mix of Dupont and Brasserie Thiriez's yeasts).  i have half of this batch aging on brett but that won't be ready until Xmas at the earliest.
- split batch belgian blond'ish/saison: fermented half with the aforementioned saison's yeast, and the other half with Fantome yeast (which is also a saison yeast).
- chocolate oatmeal stout (brewed for the missus - oatmeal and hops are supposed to be good for breastfeeding)
- harvest ale, made using fresh-picked wet hops
- "leftover soup DIPA", a huge hop bomb with an eclectic malt bill (AKA whatever needed to be used up)

all of these beers are damn tasty, if i do say so myself.  it's quite interesting to do side-by-side tasting of the 3 saisons.  i can do a "different wort same yeast" or a "same wort different yeast" comparison.

currently fermenting in the basement is a maple mead and black cherry cider.  those were relatively easy to throw together and mostly just require time to age out... i'm not going to be using those fermenters for the next few months anyways ;D

atomic

« Reply #3632 on: October 04, 2013, 04:42:54 pm »
I am thinking of investing in In-Bev.  I feel like I should get something out of them.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3633 on: October 04, 2013, 08:55:52 pm »
your basement . . . must smell, interesting.  mine smells like the cat box, sometimes.

as a former cat-owner/cat-slave, i can sympathize with the litter box odors.  i almost miss it.

fermentation generally doesn't smell like much.  occasionally some fermentations will kick off a sulfurous smell (sometimes called "rhino farts") but i've only ever had that happen once with a trippel.  lager fermentations are notorious for offensive sulfur odors.  unless i drop a bottle and beer splashes everywhere, the basement is relatively smell-free.

we're keeping the visitors to a minimum for now to allow their immune systems to get up to speed.  but once we go full public we can't wait to have you folks over.  in fact, given how long it takes us to agree on a date i should probably organize that now ;D

I am thinking of investing in In-Bev.  I feel like I should get something out of them.

in case you are seriously considering investing on them, don't.  their market share is shrinking domestically and their international expansion plans aren't meeting expectations.  their stock price is dependent on growth and they ain't got none.
<sig>

atomic

« Reply #3634 on: October 04, 2013, 11:02:55 pm »

as a former cat-owner/cat-slave, i can sympathize with the litter box odors.  i almost miss it.

fermentation generally doesn't smell like much.  occasionally some fermentations will kick off a sulfurous smell (sometimes called "rhino farts") but i've only ever had that happen once with a trippel.  lager fermentations are notorious for offensive sulfur odors.  unless i drop a bottle and beer splashes everywhere, the basement is relatively smell-free.

we're keeping the visitors to a minimum for now to allow their immune systems to get up to speed.  but once we go full public we can't wait to have you folks over.  in fact, given how long it takes us to agree on a date i should probably organize that now ;D

in case you are seriously considering investing on them, don't.  their market share is shrinking domestically and their international expansion plans aren't meeting expectations.  their stock price is dependent on growth and they ain't got none.

I don't think that is true at all.  There P/E is 12.2 which isn't too high.  They make a ton of profit.  They control most of the beer brands in the world.  Yeah beer sales are down in the US but there is still a lot out there.  I guess they have a lot of debt.  They can buy up the craft breweries like they did with Goose Island.  Basically anywhere you go there is a ton of In-Bev products.  Compare them to Sam Adams or Craft Brew Alliance and their stock price looks like a much better deal.  The stock market is overvalued right now. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3635 on: October 06, 2013, 01:12:45 pm »
i enjoy "cat slave."  how true, indeed.  i found some other interesting beers.  now seems to be the lull time for exciting beers.  i sometimes question the time and effort put into making my own beer.  then i realize that yes, i am a lazy american an i will go buy it.  the bottles that i pollute the world with are neater, too.

saint bernardus    twelve  -  all that talk of it earlier made me thirsty for it.  so, fucking good.

paulaner   oktoberfest   -  all these fucking, sorry, freaking oktoberfests out there.  blah.  this one good, though.

weyerbacher   imperial pumkin  -  all these freaking, sorry, fucking pumpkin ales out there.  this one pretty darn good, though.

atomic

« Reply #3636 on: October 07, 2013, 10:43:15 am »
I had some Leffe Brown last night.  It was even tastier knowing I owned stock in the company.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3637 on: October 07, 2013, 11:41:27 am »
I come to 930.com for the cat pics, but I stay for the stock tips.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #3638 on: October 07, 2013, 11:47:17 am »
ipaulaner   oktoberfest   -  all these fucking, sorry, freaking oktoberfests out there.  blah.  this one good, though.

I thought the only German Beers allow to be called Oktoberfest beers are ones from Munich Breweries?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3639 on: October 07, 2013, 03:32:22 pm »
im too busy drinking them, to notice.

atomic

« Reply #3641 on: October 10, 2013, 11:42:48 am »

James Ford

« Reply #3642 on: October 12, 2013, 08:34:16 pm »
What does one drink and eat after running the Baltimore Marathon?

I passed on the free Michelob Ultra they were giving to all runners.

I had Lawson's Double Sunshine with BBQ salmon, mac and cheese and spinach salad for dinner.

Having Founders KBS with strawberries and dark chocolate for dessert.

Yum.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3643 on: October 12, 2013, 09:00:01 pm »
had a founders kbs this week, not sure if it stored long enough to acheive full whatever, but whatever is exactly what i thought, good, yes, very good, yes, the bomb diggidy, no. 

James Ford

« Reply #3644 on: October 12, 2013, 11:09:14 pm »
Mine was from 2012. So about 18 months old. Much more mellow than when fresh. Completely different beer. Still very good.

had a founders kbs this week, not sure if it stored long enough to acheive full whatever, but whatever is exactly what i thought, good, yes, very good, yes, the bomb diggidy, no.