Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241586 times)

Sieve-Fisted

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3810 on: November 16, 2013, 01:29:46 pm »
Cigar City coming to NoVA. Jai Alai IPA next week, and others to follow.

Can't wait!

I picked up some more Schlafly Tasmanian IPA at TW. Ahhh..the tropical aromas. I love me some Galaxy hops. It's very similar to the Bluejacket Kolsch, "Forbidden Planet". 

James Ford

« Reply #3811 on: November 18, 2013, 11:47:42 am »
We ate at Mekong in Richmond on Saturday for lunch. Excellent Vietnamese food in a strip mall.

But where they really killed it was with the draft menu. Hands down the best draft menu I've ever seen at any bar in the world, and it was just a normal Saturday afternoon. They don't have a list online, but I saved the paper menu for proof. I'm going to have to make up a reason to go to Richmond every few months.

Some others agree with my assessment of Mekong:

http://www.craftbeer.com/news/craftbeer-com-news/2013-great-american-beer-bar-selected-by-craftbeer-com-readers

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3812 on: November 18, 2013, 01:16:43 pm »
2nd Annual Artists & Artisans Holiday Extravaganza
Sunday, December 15, 2013 from 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM (EST)
Washington, DC

Join us for the second annual Artists & Artisans Holiday Extravaganza. This is a celebration of the holidays and a coming together of local entrepreneurs in a locavore market setting. We will have a killer group of local artists and craftsmen on hand showcasing their passions and talents. This year we are joined by Rappahannock River Oysters, Soap Clothing, Jerkface Artisanal Jerky, Tacos from Impala DC, and our friends from Crispy Piggies will be smoking a bunch of game birds and serving some "traditional" holiday side dishes.

As a special addition this year we are adding a "Local Cask Pavilion" to showcase "Real Ale" from breweries around the Mid Atlantic. The List:
Oliver Ales: Soft as Snow but Warm Inside (Winter Warmer with cocoa and ancho chiles)
DuClaw Beers: Barrel Aged Serum (Double IPA)
District ChopHouse & Brewery: Bourbon Barrel aged Stout
Mad Fox Brewing Company: Headcracker Barleywine
DC Brau Brewing Company: OTWOA (Double IPA with Gogi & Elder berries)
The Brewer's Art: Le Canard (Belgian Brown)
Evolution Craft Brewing Company: Winter Migration on Cocoa (Jack Daniels aged dark strong ale)
Union Craft Brewing: Snow Pants (Oatmeal Stout)
Flying Dog Brewery: Raging Bitch (Belgian IPA with Amarillo & Citra hops).
We will also be tapping into the cellar for some extremely rare and barrel aged beers as well as pouring our entire fall lineup. We will also have drinks from New Columbia Distillers, James Pepper's 1776 Rye, and ciders from Millstone Cellars.

Ticket price includes a tasting glass and your first beer, after which all additional beers and food offerings will be served a la carte. There will also be a live art installation and DJ's spinning great tunes. These parties sell out fast so get your tickets while they last. Cheers.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2nd-annual-artists-artisans-holiday-extravaganza-tickets-7560312097
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #3813 on: November 18, 2013, 01:45:23 pm »
We ate at Mekong in Richmond on Saturday for lunch. Excellent Vietnamese food in a strip mall.

But where they really killed it was with the draft menu. Hands down the best draft menu I've ever seen at any bar in the world, and it was just a normal Saturday afternoon. They don't have a list online, but I saved the paper menu for proof. I'm going to have to make up a reason to go to Richmond every few months.

http://www.craftbeer.com/news/craftbeer-com-news/2013-great-american-beer-bar-selected-by-craftbeer-com-readers

the thing about Richmond , which as is vox populi by now I despise, is that everything is so much less expensive...something to be said for that...

James Ford

« Reply #3814 on: November 18, 2013, 02:48:14 pm »
I think we had:

BFM 2012 Bon Chien $8
The Bruery Oude Tart $7
The Bruery White Oak $7
St Bernardus 12 $7
Allagash 2013 Curieux $7 (but they gave it too us for free since it was the last of the keg)

Almost certain all of those selections would be $10 or more each at Churchkey.

the thing about Richmond , which as is vox populi by now I despise, is that everything is so much less expensive...something to be said for that...

Yada

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3816 on: November 18, 2013, 05:05:38 pm »
interesting... ok, fine, i find this interesting:

Homebrewers make 1% of beer brewed in US
November 13th, 2013 | Posted by Real Beer

A survey conducted for the American Homebrewers Association (AHA) indicates that homebrewers produce more than 2 million barrels of beer a year, a barrel being 31 gallons. This represents one percent of total U.S. beer production.

According to the survey, there are an estimated 1.2 million homebrewers in the United States. Two-thirds of them began brewing in 2005 or later.

?The homebrewing community is in every corner of the country and highly engaged in this hobby,? AHA director Gary Glass said for a press release. ?From the amount of money spent on supplies to the sheer number of homebrewers, it?s clear this is a growing trend and people are incredibly interested in learning about and making their own brews at home.?

From the survey:

- Demographics: The average homebrewer is 40 years old, with most (60%) falling between 30 and 49 years old. The majority of homebrewers are married or in a domestic partnership (78%), have a college degree or some form of higher education (69%), and are highly affluent ? nearly 60% of homebrewers have household incomes of $75,000 or more.

- Location: Homebrewers are fairly evenly spread across the country, with the slight plurality congregated in the West (31%), followed by the South (26%), Midwest (23%) and the fewest in the Northeast (17%).

- Production: In terms of brew production, homebrewers mainly stick to beer ? 60 percent of respondents brew only beer at home, compared to wine, mead or cider. AHA members and people affiliated with the AHA on average brewed nearly 10 batches of beer per year, at 7 gallons a batch, which is 15% more batches and nearly 30% more volume than homebrewers who were not affiliated with the AHA.

Retail: Nearly all homebrewers (95%) shop in two local homebrew stores eight or nine times a year, while a majority (80%) also shops in three online stores five times a year. On average, homebrewers spend $800 a year?about $460 on general supplies and ingredients, and $330 on equipment.

The survey was completed by more than 18,000 homebrewers via an online survey from July 30 to September 3, 2013. Of the respondents, 65% were members of the AHA, and 35% were unaffiliated homebrewers. 

http://www.realbeer.com/blog/?p=2913
<sig>

atomic

« Reply #3817 on: November 18, 2013, 05:28:17 pm »
It makes sense that most homebrewers have a college education.  Making your home brew does require to be able delay your gratification.  Spend your money and effort now and get good beer cheap 5 weeks later.  Longer if you Lager.  Sort of like College. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3818 on: November 18, 2013, 06:12:53 pm »
and people who brew beer, screw a bunch, drink a bunch, party a bunch . . . just like college

stevewizzle

« Reply #3819 on: November 18, 2013, 06:17:37 pm »
It makes sense that most homebrewers have a college education.  Making your home brew does require to be able delay your gratification.  Spend your money and effort now and get good beer cheap 5 weeks later.  Longer if you Lager.  Sort of like College. 

that analogy is flawed to say the least.

atomic

« Reply #3820 on: November 18, 2013, 07:24:52 pm »

No it isn't. I have a hard time with you.  You make a statement and don't back it with any sort of argument.  Are you really as stupid as you seem?

stevewizzle

« Reply #3821 on: November 18, 2013, 07:53:40 pm »

No it isn't. I have a hard time with you.  You make a statement and don't back it with any sort of argument.  Are you really as stupid as you seem?

yes

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3822 on: November 18, 2013, 08:30:23 pm »
you win best comeback comment of the day.  enjoy.

James Ford

« Reply #3823 on: November 19, 2013, 01:18:53 pm »
copied and pasted from a beer advocate thread:

Alright, here is the low down on BCBS and variants for Northern Virginia.

We tinkered with releasing it concurrently with Goose Island on Black Friday. For several reasons, it would be a logistical nightmare. So that isn't going to happen. It will all be released the week of December 2nd. Most stores will be receiving their BCBS the day of their normal delivery. A few may get it earlier in the week (but it won't be many, as the whole logistics thing...)

So the week of December 2nd it is. As for amounts, I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of Bourbon County, Bourbon County Coffee, and Bourbon County Barleywine that the area received. However, the amount of Backyard Rye will be less than the amount of Cherry Rye the area got last year.

Hope that helps! I'd get more specific but I want to limit my competition out in the market.

Yada

« Reply #3824 on: November 21, 2013, 11:01:53 am »
Anything worth trying at Three Stars?

I may hit up the growler hours with a friend this evening.