Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241379 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3855 on: November 26, 2013, 03:39:20 pm »
Was that the Warren Store by any chance? Or are you saying you actually found those beers at a gas station?

the in-laws live on a farm in the sticks.  most of vermont is nowhere, and they're on the edges of that.  a few miles up the road is a general store and a gas station.  and in this little station, middle of nowhere, i found a ridiculous beer selection.  great prices too.  i picked up a Jolly Pumpkin La Roja, a Lodgson Seizoen Bretta, a 1.5 year old Mathilda, and a Rock Art Vermonster barley wine... all for cheaper than i've seen them anywhere else.  go rural vermont.

if it was the Warren Store, he should've walked out with HF and Lawsons, so I'm assuming not.

Yada

« Reply #3856 on: November 26, 2013, 03:40:47 pm »
My high ABV stuff like that sits in a cool, dark-ish area 12 months a year. Except it's not really that cool there in the summertime.

My wife says some of the aged stuff tastes "musty", I argue that it just tastes "mellow".

I guess I don't really have an answer for you. To be honest, I age beer because I'm a more enthusiastic buyer of beer than I am a consumer of it. Not because i'm hoping that it tastes better with age.

I don't have a beer cellar per se, but have extra bottles of KBS, BCBS, Parabola, etc. etc... Will it hurt to leave the beer in a refrigerator or would you suggest just leaving the beer in a cool, dark spot in the basement?

Maybe I should re-phrase the question. Will the beer being very cold in the fridge hurt the beer in anyway vs. it being in a roughly 60 degree area that's cool/dark.

« Reply #3857 on: November 26, 2013, 03:51:02 pm »
on the drive up i stopped at State Line Liquors, at the MD/DE border
as a Blue Hen alum...I can't tell you how many cases of Milwaukee's "the beast" Best I bought at that store.  Easily 1000's of cans of that stuff.  Never looked at anything else...25 cents a can!  I've a more mature pallet now, but won't forget my past  :o
slack

James Ford

« Reply #3858 on: November 26, 2013, 04:11:26 pm »
Warren Store had neither Lawson's nor Hill Farmstead when I was there over the summer.

They did have some old 11.2 oz bottles of Pannepot. Literally as cheap as the bottle I brought home from Belgium (St Bernardus 12 and Rochefort 10 are $2 grocery store beers in Belgium, but Pannepot sells at a premium price). I grabbed one but am wishing I had grabbed several more.

Was that the Warren Store by any chance? Or are you saying you actually found those beers at a gas station?

the in-laws live on a farm in the sticks.  most of vermont is nowhere, and they're on the edges of that.  a few miles up the road is a general store and a gas station.  and in this little station, middle of nowhere, i found a ridiculous beer selection.  great prices too.  i picked up a Jolly Pumpkin La Roja, a Lodgson Seizoen Bretta, a 1.5 year old Mathilda, and a Rock Art Vermonster barley wine... all for cheaper than i've seen them anywhere else.  go rural vermont.

if it was the Warren Store, he should've walked out with HF and Lawsons, so I'm assuming not.

James Ford

« Reply #3859 on: November 26, 2013, 04:12:49 pm »
How long are you keeping it in the fridge?

I still don't know the answer...someone else. Atomic, do you have the answer?

My high ABV stuff like that sits in a cool, dark-ish area 12 months a year. Except it's not really that cool there in the summertime.

My wife says some of the aged stuff tastes "musty", I argue that it just tastes "mellow".

I guess I don't really have an answer for you. To be honest, I age beer because I'm a more enthusiastic buyer of beer than I am a consumer of it. Not because i'm hoping that it tastes better with age.

I don't have a beer cellar per se, but have extra bottles of KBS, BCBS, Parabola, etc. etc... Will it hurt to leave the beer in a refrigerator or would you suggest just leaving the beer in a cool, dark spot in the basement?

Maybe I should re-phrase the question. Will the beer being very cold in the fridge hurt the beer in anyway vs. it being in a roughly 60 degree area that's cool/dark.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3860 on: November 26, 2013, 04:20:24 pm »
i picked up a Jolly Pumpkin La Roja, a Lodgson Seizoen Bretta, a 1.5 year old Mathilda, and a Rock Art Vermonster barley wine... all for cheaper than i've seen them anywhere else.  go rural vermont.

very, very jealous.  la roja aged a year is really one of my favorite sours (great for dregs, too!). it's just so damn drinkable.

and that seizon bretta... that has to be my favorite saison i've ever had.

nice haul, very jelly.

Yada

« Reply #3861 on: November 26, 2013, 04:21:33 pm »

Approaching a year for a few of the bottles, while the rest are still on a shelf in the basement.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3862 on: November 26, 2013, 04:23:17 pm »

Approaching a year for a few of the bottles, while the rest are still on a shelf in the basement.

i don't have an answer for this, but if you'd like me to send me some of the KBS and parabola I will certainly find out for you.

James Ford

« Reply #3863 on: November 26, 2013, 04:41:23 pm »
In case anyone is looking for a Thanksgiving growler fill, Fairfax Whole Foods will be tapping some nice stuff. Unfortunately not all at the same time.

GRATUITOUS GOBBLE DAY GROWLERS!!! With the festive spirit of plenty in mind, I have decided to dig deep into my keg pantry and offer up some unexpected morsels. Actually, if you have been following this page for awhile, these probably ARE expected. In no particular order, and to be tapped at no particular time, you can expect to see some or all of these make an appearance at Cheez Town.
Bruery Oude Tart
Bruery Autumn Maple
DuPont Avec les Bon Vieux
Bear Republic Racer X
Alewerks Cafe Royale
Dogfish Head OldeSchool
DuClaw Pumpkin Retribution
Epic Big Bad Baptist
Alewerks Coffehouse Stout
Great Lakes Christmas Ale
Whew, that's a good preliminary list at least. Again there are no set times or order for these kegs, but I will post when and which are tapped. Cheers!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3864 on: November 26, 2013, 04:44:39 pm »
Will it hurt to leave the beer in a refrigerator or would you suggest just leaving the beer in a cool, dark spot in the basement?

keeping them in the fridge will slow the aging process.  so it's up to you: are you aging the beer so that it takes on the qualities of time (mellowing, etc.), or is your goal to be able to enjoy that beer in a "fresher" state at a later time?  typically it's former, so beers are aged above fridge temps.  most important thing is temp consistency.  you don't want a cellar where temps change on a daily basis.  long-term seasonal warming isn't a biggie, as long as it's within reason - you don't want your beer hitting 90*F in the summer.

60*F and dark is pretty much perfect for cellaring (if you want to age them).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:15:34 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #3865 on: November 26, 2013, 05:02:20 pm »
Will it hurt to leave the beer in a refrigerator or would you suggest just leaving the beer in a cool, dark spot in the basement?

keeping them in the fridge will slow the aging process.  so it's up to you: are you aging the beer so that it takes on the qualities of time (mellowing, etc.), or is your goal to be able to enjoy that beer in a "fresher" state at a later time?  typically it's former, so beers are aged above fridge temps.  most important thing is temp consistency.  you don't want a cellar where temps change on a daily basis.  long-term seasonal warming isn't a biggie, as long as it's within reason - you want want your beer hitting 90*F in the summer.

60*F and dark is pretty much perfect for cellaring.

Thank you sir... I fall more into the range of "I can't drink all of the beer that I currently have and don't want it to go bad." Not really trying to cellar it to change the taste, I just want it to stay fresh/tasty.

Thanks!

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #3866 on: November 26, 2013, 05:17:16 pm »
Wow, that is a ridiculous growler list.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3867 on: November 26, 2013, 05:23:46 pm »

nope, literally a gas station.  well, the quickie-mart/convenience store inside the gas station.

i wish it was the warren store.  they sell out of lawsons pretty much as soon as it hits the shelves.  you need to be there on delivery morning if you want to get any.  they're having a special delivery tomorrow but i just can't justify a 3 hour car ride for beer.

la roja aged a year is really one of my favorite sours (great for dregs, too!).

i've never had JP before so looking forward to it.  some brewers are apparently weary of JP dregs: they are too powerful.  they take over and make you brew somewhat one-dimensionally sour.  i'll probably age that roja bottle for a while, give other bugs a head start in my brew, and pitch the JP dregs after a few months.  for christmas i'm getting a brew day.  i'll be splitting a batch between a dubbel and an oud bruin ;D

seriously.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #3868 on: November 26, 2013, 05:55:29 pm »
la roja aged a year is really one of my favorite sours (great for dregs, too!).

i've never had JP before so looking forward to it.  some brewers are apparently weary of JP dregs: they are too powerful.  they take over and make you brew somewhat one-dimensionally sour.  i'll probably age that roja bottle for a while, give other bugs a head start in my brew, and pitch the JP dregs after a few months.  for christmas i'm getting a brew day.  i'll be splitting a batch between a dubbel and an oud bruin ;D

i could see that. added it to a 1-gal batch of berliner weisse, which was seriously lacking in tartness. it brought out some incredible flavors for a 3% beer, so it's all relative. 

James Ford

« Reply #3869 on: November 26, 2013, 09:53:42 pm »
Growler value may vary.

My more local Whole Foods has 64 oz growlers of Backwoods Bastard for $30. Compare that to $14 for 48 oz in a four-pack. What's up with that price?