Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241408 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4095 on: January 19, 2014, 12:17:03 pm »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4096 on: January 19, 2014, 09:43:15 pm »
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #4097 on: January 19, 2014, 11:48:17 pm »

Yada

« Reply #4098 on: January 20, 2014, 12:18:50 pm »
Has anybody had Victory Hop Ranch yet?

Apparently they have it at Total Wine in Sterling. But the $15.99/four pack price isn't going to make me jump through hoops to get it, especially when Victory DirtWolf goes for $8.49/four pack at Total Wine.

I'm too busy drinking Abrasive and Sucks to try that right now. I did see it for $48 a case in Pittsburgh, so that seems outrageously over priced for a four pack.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4099 on: January 21, 2014, 03:25:11 am »
Has anybody had Victory Hop Ranch yet?

Apparently they have it at Total Wine in Sterling. But the $15.99/four pack price isn't going to make me jump through hoops to get it, especially when Victory DirtWolf goes for $8.49/four pack at Total Wine.

I'm too busy drinking Abrasive and Sucks to try that right now. I did see it for $48 a case in Pittsburgh, so that seems outrageously over priced for a four pack.

im too busy drinking pliny and blind pig to care about you being busy.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4100 on: January 21, 2014, 03:27:17 am »
Your take on the Midnight Brett as a little different than mine and Brennser's.

Started by James Ford, Message by brennser:
Midnight Brett is disgusting - it smells like vomit and tastes only marginally better

Quote from: James Ford on January 01, 2014, 10:58:04 PM

6. Allagash Midnight Brett.. 4.5/10. like cherry cola And I hate cherry cola.

Allagash Midnight Brett Ale. Kinda expensive but damn tasty. Reminded me a bit of the Clutch Dark Sour Ale. If you see it give it a try.

but the same as mine.  i thought midnight brett was fantastic. very drinkable. black sours or wild ales seem to be polarizing.

James Ford

« Reply #4101 on: January 21, 2014, 08:20:12 am »
They are indeed. I didn't care much more Tart of Darkness either. Though I found it more drinkable thank Midnight Brett.

Your take on the Midnight Brett as a little different than mine and Brennser's.

Started by James Ford, Message by brennser:
Midnight Brett is disgusting - it smells like vomit and tastes only marginally better

Quote from: James Ford on January 01, 2014, 10:58:04 PM

6. Allagash Midnight Brett.. 4.5/10. like cherry cola And I hate cherry cola.

Allagash Midnight Brett Ale. Kinda expensive but damn tasty. Reminded me a bit of the Clutch Dark Sour Ale. If you see it give it a try.

but the same as mine.  i thought midnight brett was fantastic. very drinkable. black sours or wild ales seem to be polarizing.

James Ford

« Reply #4102 on: January 21, 2014, 11:52:22 am »
So we had another bottle share, and though I don't have a complete log of what was shared, I can report on the blind vertical tasting of Midwest IPA's we did. We had eight people tasting six different unnamed IPA's. Everyone made a list, from first (1) to last (6). Here are the results. The number is the average (place) score:

1. The Brew Kettle White Rajah 1.75
2. FatHeads Headhunter 1.875
3. Half Acre Heyoka 3.375
4. Three Floyds Zombie Dust 3.875
5. Three Floyds Alpha King 4.625
6. Columbus IPA 5.375

So there you have it, the #6 beer in the world on Beer Advocate (Zombie Dust) gets crushed by two other local Midwest beers. Guess hype does have something to do with ratings after all. (All six of those beers have a 92 or above on Beer Advocate).

Yada

« Reply #4103 on: January 21, 2014, 12:12:30 pm »
So we had another bottle share, and though I don't have a complete log of what was shared, I can report on the blind vertical tasting of Midwest IPA's we did. We had eight people tasting six different unnamed IPA's. Everyone made a list, from first (1) to last (6). Here are the results. The number is the average (place) score:

1. The Brew Kettle White Rajah 1.75
2. FatHeads Headhunter 1.875
3. Half Acre Heyoka 3.375
4. Three Floyds Zombie Dust 3.875
5. Three Floyds Alpha King 4.625
6. Columbus IPA 5.375

So there you have it, the #6 beer in the world on Beer Advocate (Zombie Dust) gets crushed by two other local Midwest beers. Guess hype does have something to do with ratings after all. (All six of those beers have a 92 or above on Beer Advocate).

I've said it once and I'll say it again, I find Zombie Dust Three Floyds quite overrated.

P.S. You forgot my invite, brah!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:17:32 pm by Yada »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4104 on: January 21, 2014, 01:54:00 pm »
So we had another bottle share, and though I don't have a complete log of what was shared
partial list: Element Brewing Dark Element, Crooked Staves Hop Savant and St. Bretta (Summer), Rivertown Brewing Ojos Negros blackberry sour, Jester King Das Uberkind soured saison, Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break Natale Pretty Please with a cherry on top, 3 Floyd's War Mullet.  i believe i'm forgetting a few.

i wouldn't draw too many conclusions from this exercise.  n=1 and all that.  some of those beers were bought in grocery stores, so who knows how fresh they were or what conditions they were stored in before being sold.   the beer in last place, columbus IPA, definitely didn't taste like a 92+ beer.  the tasting was the first thing we did at the share and i was thirsty... and i didn't finish my columbus IPA.  based on this one incident, i wouldn't dismiss this beer either.

didn't know you were still interested... ;D

we'll let you know about the next one.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #4105 on: January 21, 2014, 02:08:24 pm »
So we had another bottle share, and though I don't have a complete log of what was shared
partial list: Element Brewing Dark Element, Crooked Staves Hop Savant and St. Bretta (Summer), Rivertown Brewing Ojos Negros blackberry sour, Jester King Das Uberkind soured saison, Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break Natale Pretty Please with a cherry on top, 3 Floyd's War Mullet.  i believe i'm forgetting a few.

i wouldn't draw too many conclusions from this exercise.  n=1 and all that.  some of those beers were bought in grocery stores, so who knows how fresh they were or what conditions they were stored in before being sold.   the beer in last place, columbus IPA, definitely didn't taste like a 92+ beer.  the tasting was the first thing we did at the share and i was thirsty... and i didn't finish my columbus IPA.  based on this one incident, i wouldn't dismiss this beer either.

yea... admittedly, I haven't been a good attendee... No exaggeration, we were out of town over half of last year's weekends + baby preparation + work + any other commitment it was tough to do anything else. Anyway... keep me posted, i don' think I'm out of town again until April.

James Ford

« Reply #4106 on: January 21, 2014, 03:06:31 pm »
Four of the six beers were bought in grocery stores.

The #2 finisher, Headhunter, was bought at the brewpub with no bottling date.

The #4 finisher, Zombie Dust, was bought at the brewery on the day it was bottled. It was the freshest of the sixth and still finished a distant fourth!

James Ford

« Reply #4107 on: January 21, 2014, 03:16:59 pm »
I've also had White Rajah, Headhunter, and Zombie Dust all on draft and all three are pretty evenly matched on draft...my wife would pick the first two though

brennser

« Reply #4108 on: January 21, 2014, 03:19:59 pm »
yeah but isn't zombie dust a pale ale, not an IPA - is it even a fair comparison?

James Ford

« Reply #4109 on: January 21, 2014, 03:30:44 pm »
Three Floyds calls it a pale ale, but I don't. Hoe many pale ales do you know that are 6.4 abv? And pack that much hop punch?

So why is it the #6 beer in the world? Are people giving it massively high scores because they think it's a pale ale and thus they have lower expectations? If it's truly the #6 beer in the world, it should be able to beat some single IPA's in a blind taste test!

yeah but isn't zombie dust a pale ale, not an IPA - is it even a fair comparison?