Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241395 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4305 on: March 18, 2014, 01:18:01 am »
What were the prices and pour sizes at the Hard Liver Fest?

My brother never went because he claimed the prices were ridiculously high and he'd "rather just sit at home and drink Bigfoot".

Does it surprise anyone that I have a brother who would make that claim?

honestly, i'm not sure i remember exactly. i >think< most tasters were $1 per ounce.  it was a flat rate scheme... like, $3 for 3oz, $5 for 6oz. with a few exceptions (lost abbey, anchorage). someone did the math on deal with the devil and figured it was $1.66 per ounce, and for a bottle it's $1.12 from the brewery.  50 cents mark-up isn't bad.

i don't think you really need to get into the pricing logistics when it comes down to the fact that you can taste 8 barleywines for under $30 total... 

James Ford

« Reply #4306 on: March 18, 2014, 08:34:19 am »
That doesn't sound bad. I'da hit it if I didn't live 2,771 miles away.

My brother never went because he claimed the prices were ridiculously high and he'd "rather just sit at home and drink Bigfoot".

honestly, i'm not sure i remember exactly. i >think< most tasters were $1 per ounce.  it was a flat rate scheme... like, $3 for 3oz, $5 for 6oz. with a few exceptions (lost abbey, anchorage). someone did the math on deal with the devil and figured it was $1.66 per ounce, and for a bottle it's $1.12 from the brewery.  50 cents mark-up isn't bad.

i don't think you really need to get into the pricing logistics when it comes down to the fact that you can taste 8 barleywines for under $30 total... 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4307 on: March 18, 2014, 11:55:27 am »
firestone walker 2013 sucaba - it's just so damn smooth. i had to resist my temptation to go out and buy a whole case of this after tasting it...

is that an option for you folks?!?  over here we haven't received this year's batch, and when it does show up there will inevitably be a 1-bottle-per-customer limit.
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4308 on: March 18, 2014, 12:03:06 pm »
considering breaking form, and having a drink of beer.  local shoppe, in my area offering ten dollar, full growlers of nugget nectar.

James Ford

« Reply #4309 on: March 18, 2014, 12:40:21 pm »
64 ounces, is a lot, of drinks of beer.

considering breaking form, and having a drink of beer.  local shoppe, in my area offering ten dollar, full growlers of nugget nectar.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4310 on: March 18, 2014, 12:46:38 pm »
That doesn't sound bad. I'da hit it if I didn't live 2,771 miles away.

excuses

Yada

« Reply #4311 on: March 18, 2014, 12:48:16 pm »

stay strong sister.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4312 on: March 18, 2014, 12:52:45 pm »
firestone walker 2013 sucaba - it's just so damn smooth. i had to resist my temptation to go out and buy a whole case of this after tasting it...

is that an option for you folks?!?  over here we haven't received this year's batch, and when it does show up there will inevitably be a 1-bottle-per-customer limit.

mmhm (the 2014, that is).  been on the shelves for weeks now.  some places get 1 or 2 cases and they are gone quick, but then places like whole foods gets seemingly a pallet of it and it just sits on the shelf and collects dust. there's also a gas station i stop in every now and then that still has a shelf of DBA and velvet merkin.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4313 on: March 18, 2014, 01:25:19 pm »

stay strong sister.

i am . . . growlers always bothered me because of having to drink them day of purchase.  but nugget nectar on draft is always great.

atomic

« Reply #4314 on: March 18, 2014, 01:46:02 pm »

stay strong sister.

i am . . . growlers always bothered me because of having to drink them day of purchase.  but nugget nectar on draft is always great.

You don't have to drink them the day of purchase.  If you seal back up tight it should be fine for a couple of weeks.

James Ford

« Reply #4315 on: March 18, 2014, 01:50:22 pm »
Once you open it you need to drink it all ASAP.

And in terms of saving it beyond the day of purchase (without opening), I've found that  flip tops are better than screw tops.

stay strong sister.

You don't have to drink them the day of purchase.  If you seal back up tight it should be fine for a couple of weeks.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4316 on: March 18, 2014, 01:54:11 pm »

stay strong sister.

yeah that's simply not true

Yada

« Reply #4317 on: March 18, 2014, 01:57:58 pm »

stay strong sister.

We've had this argument on here before and you have no clue what you're talking about. It will taste like garbage in 72 hours or so.

atomic

« Reply #4318 on: March 18, 2014, 02:03:35 pm »
Once you open it you need to drink it all ASAP.

And in terms of saving it beyond the day of purchase (without opening), I've found that  flip tops are better than screw tops.

I think we have had this discussion before.  Of course you don't need to drink it the day you open it. It was open when you poured it in.  Open it pour your glass and then close it you won't have any problem.
stay strong sister.

atomic

« Reply #4319 on: March 18, 2014, 02:04:46 pm »

stay strong sister.

We've had this argument on here before and you have no clue what you're talking about. It will taste like garbage in 72 hours or so.

Not true at all.  I do have a clue as I have done it multiple times with no problems.  You have no clue as you probably got shitty beer to begin with.