Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241423 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4395 on: April 16, 2014, 11:47:36 am »
nope, i haven't been there since the switch either.
<sig>

Bagley

« Reply #4396 on: April 16, 2014, 03:24:29 pm »
Anyone try the Stone "go to ipa"?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4397 on: April 17, 2014, 09:48:31 am »
The State of American Beer
What's rising, what's fading, and what people are really drinking
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/04/the-state-of-american-beer/360583/
summary: Big Beer is on the decline but still represents 90% of the market; craft beer is rising quickly but represents a small portion of the total.

but will all that flavorful, hoppy craft beer create a hop shortage in the future?  IMO, no.  it'll be bumpy for certain varieties until production can be ramped up, but these will be spot shortages that will correct themselves within a year.  just makes craft beer that much more exciting!
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #4398 on: April 17, 2014, 10:01:56 am »

I?ve kind of realized I don?t like any of the session IPAs all that much? If I want a light beer,  I?ll just drink a light beer vs. drinking a watered down IPA.

I wouldn?t call it bad, I just don?t enjoy that style all too much.

James Ford

« Reply #4399 on: April 17, 2014, 10:04:53 am »
I'm with you there. I'll just drink six ounces of a DIPA and call it even.

Lagunitas Daytime was the best one I've had yet.

I?ve kind of realized I don?t like any of the session IPAs all that much? If I want a light beer,  I?ll just drink a light beer vs. drinking a watered down IPA.

I wouldn?t call it bad, I just don?t enjoy that style all too much.

atomic

« Reply #4400 on: April 17, 2014, 10:45:05 am »
I had Kloster Andech Helles last night.  I wasn't impressed.  Tasted like an American Light beer. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #4401 on: April 17, 2014, 02:18:31 pm »
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/04/the-state-of-american-beer/360583/
summary: Big Beer is on the decline but still represents 90% of the market; craft beer is rising quickly but represents a small portion of the total.

i'm gonna go ahead and share this link along with the above report: http://www.beervanabuzz.com/2014/04/anheuser-buschs-latest-counteroffensive.html?m=1

i'm thinking there's some conclusions we can draw from these two reports.

atomic

« Reply #4402 on: April 17, 2014, 04:10:23 pm »

i'm gonna go ahead and share this link along with the above report: http://www.beervanabuzz.com/2014/04/anheuser-buschs-latest-counteroffensive.html?m=1

Goose Island is pretty good beer.  Nothing wrong with cheaper prices. It isn't going to get me to stop drinking Union Craft or German, Austrian, and Belgian brews but if all they have is generic beers at a bar I would rather get Goose Island for 3 bucks than a Coors Light.  There is certainly no shortage of craft brews.  I don't see how this is going to effect craft brewers but a certain point the market will be saturated with the craft breweries and the fad will end.

Yada

« Reply #4403 on: April 17, 2014, 04:19:15 pm »

Goose Island is pretty good beer.  Nothing wrong with cheaper prices. It isn't going to get me to stop drinking Union Craft or German, Austrian, and Belgian brews but if all they have is generic beers at a bar I would rather get Goose Island for 3 bucks than a Coors Light.  There is certainly no shortage of craft brews.  I don't see how this is going to effect craft brewers but a certain point the market will be saturated with the craft breweries and the fad will end.

No... the good ones will survive, the mediocre ones like Goose Island that are purchased by large corporate breweries will survive, and the crappy ones will disappear. The fad won't end though.

atomic

« Reply #4404 on: April 17, 2014, 04:30:20 pm »

No... the good ones will survive, the mediocre ones like Goose Island that are purchased by large corporate breweries will survive, and the crappy ones will disappear. The fad won't end though.

Sure it will.  You can tell as IPA's are so much  more popular than everything else combined.  It isn't like people are actually changing and liking new things.  They have gone from one extreme to the other.  I doubt it will be the best beer that will survive.  More the best marketing and management that will survive.   Unless people start exclusively drinking local beers than it will collapse. 

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4405 on: April 17, 2014, 04:34:36 pm »
Got that Stochastic Grapefruit thing waiting in the fridge...

stevewizzle

« Reply #4406 on: April 17, 2014, 05:29:59 pm »

this is all true.  i imagine the low prices won't be sustainable, but that's where the atlantic article gets interesting... domestic beers case sale decline doesn't necessarily correlate 1:1 with dollar sales decline.  so domestic beer is becoming more profitable, and these same companies can probably subsidize some craft brew brands they own for the time being so they maintain most of the taps in bars.

Sure it will.  You can tell as IPA's are so much  more popular than everything else combined.  It isn't like people are actually changing and liking new things.  They have gone from one extreme to the other.  I doubt it will be the best beer that will survive.  More the best marketing and management that will survive.   Unless people start exclusively drinking local beers than it will collapse. 

not to turn this into another "you have shit taste" discussions, but i really have to just write off your opinion on IPAs and assume that you've just never had a good one.  and that makes sense... there's, oh, i don't know, a handful of good IPAs available year-round in the DC/Baltimore area, and unless you have it fresh, on draft, and from a clean tap, it's not going to leave much of an impression on you.  IPA will forever be my go-to, because when they are good, they're fucking great.

why aren't you drinking this now?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4407 on: April 17, 2014, 05:31:31 pm »
Chardonnay Night in Richmond, boys!!!!
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4408 on: April 17, 2014, 05:43:33 pm »

I'm not home yet!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:48:13 pm by grateful »

atomic

« Reply #4409 on: April 17, 2014, 05:46:29 pm »

this is all true.  i imagine the low prices won't be sustainable, but that's where the atlantic article gets interesting... domestic beers case sale decline doesn't necessarily correlate 1:1 with dollar sales decline.  so domestic beer is becoming more profitable, and these same companies can probably subsidize some craft brew brands they own for the time being so they maintain most of the taps in bars.

not to turn this into another "you have shit taste" discussions, but i really have to just write off your opinion on IPAs and assume that you've just never had a good one.  and that makes sense... there's, oh, i don't know, a handful of good IPAs available year-round in the DC/Baltimore area, and unless you have it fresh, on draft, and from a clean tap, it's not going to leave much of an impression on you.  IPA will forever be my go-to, because when they are good, they're fucking great.

This doesn't even have anything to do with my opinion on the quality of IPA's.  It is just easy to see it is fad.  People have gone from an extreme of barely any hop flavor to being hit over the head with hops.  I like some IPAs.  But I wouldn't' want to just drink Dunkels the rest of my life either or Beligian Blondes. Or even Heifweizens.  If people really were getting into tastes of beer they would be trying everything instead of just drinking one style of beer.