Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241423 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4530 on: May 09, 2014, 02:10:31 pm »
Some of my favorite breweries don't ship locally. If they were there, and bringing their best and/or rare beers, I'd be interested.

I'm talking about Russian River, Alpine, Hair of the Dog, Crooked Stave, the Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, Three Floyds, Lost Abbey, Surly, etc.

Ok, name 10 breweries to get excited about in that list of 93.

If I made a list of my 25 favorite breweries , I see maybe 4 there that would make my list.

If I made a list of 10 breweries who I've heard/read good things about but haven't tried and would most want to try, I don't see any of them there.

Why would you want your favorite breweries to be there if you are complaining about not getting to drink anything new?  Your logic defies reason.

atomic

« Reply #4531 on: May 09, 2014, 02:34:30 pm »
Some of my favorite breweries don't ship locally. If they were there, and bringing their best and/or rare beers, I'd be interested.

I'm talking about Russian River, Alpine, Hair of the Dog, Crooked Stave, the Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, Three Floyds, Lost Abbey, Surly, etc.

If I made a list of my 25 favorite breweries , I see maybe 4 there that would make my list.

If I made a list of 10 breweries who I've heard/read good things about but haven't tried and would most want to try, I don't see any of them there.

Why would you want your favorite breweries to be there if you are complaining about not getting to drink anything new?  Your logic defies reason.

Why would a brewery that doesn't ship to DC appear at a beer festival in DC? 

James Ford

« Reply #4532 on: May 09, 2014, 02:42:13 pm »
I don't really know the answer to that one. And the answer could depend on what brewery you're talking about.

However, there are a number of breweries on that list that don't ship to DC. There are also a number of breweries at the SAVOR festival in DC this weekend who don't ship to DC.

atomic

« Reply #4533 on: May 11, 2014, 09:40:30 am »
Had the Flying Dog old bay beer at the ball game last night.  Not too bad.  Old bay taste is very mild.

James Ford

« Reply #4534 on: May 12, 2014, 01:15:21 pm »
Not that anyone cares at this point, but I clicked on the link to that beer festival, and the breweries listed were the ones that had participated in the Chicago version of the fest.

So who knows what breweries will participate in the DC Fest. Likely many of the breweries who ship to Chicago but not DC would drop out, and vice versa (?)

I don't really know the answer to that one. And the answer could depend on what brewery you're talking about.

However, there are a number of breweries on that list that don't ship to DC. There are also a number of breweries at the SAVOR festival in DC this weekend who don't ship to DC.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #4535 on: May 12, 2014, 01:39:17 pm »
Had the Flying Dog old bay beer at the ball game last night.  Not too bad.  Old bay taste is very mild.
I cant wait to try it... I think maybe for the first boat outing of the season. 

James Ford

« Reply #4536 on: May 12, 2014, 03:04:38 pm »
Most of Flying Dog's beers are pretty mediocre IMO, but I tried a Barrel Aged Gonzo on draft over the weekend, and it was quite good. The regular Gonzo and the Truth are the only other Flying Dog beers I've tried that rose above mediocrity.

K8teebug

« Reply #4537 on: May 12, 2014, 03:10:50 pm »
I cannot stand Flying Dog's beers for the most part.  Judge's Bench did have one of their limited edition beers on Firkin a few weeks back and it was the only one I've ever had that wasn't awful.

I did manage to finally find John Smiths at Perfect Pour!  First time I'd seen that in the US

atomic

« Reply #4538 on: May 12, 2014, 03:43:24 pm »
Most of Flying Dog's beers are pretty mediocre IMO, but I tried a Barrel Aged Gonzo on draft over the weekend, and it was quite good. The regular Gonzo and the Truth are the only other Flying Dog beers I've tried that rose above mediocrity.

Woody Creek is pretty good.  I hate Gonzo.  Bought a six pack and ended giving it away.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #4539 on: May 12, 2014, 03:56:34 pm »
But did you try the new Old Bay one?

atomic

« Reply #4540 on: May 12, 2014, 04:01:32 pm »

My exact thoughts.   

James Ford

« Reply #4541 on: May 12, 2014, 05:17:29 pm »
It definitely doesn't sound like it's my thing, but if someone buys me one, I'll drink it with an open mind.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4542 on: May 12, 2014, 05:56:31 pm »
raging bitch IPA is unique and delicious.  gonzo and barrel-aged gonzo are also very good in a very underated beer style (baltic porter). 

Hexenjagd

« Reply #4543 on: May 12, 2014, 08:49:51 pm »
The liquor store near my house is getting some in the morning, so it looks like tomorrow will be tasting day.  The guys at the shop laughed when I asked and said every five minutes someone came in and asked for it.

atomic

« Reply #4544 on: May 12, 2014, 08:59:13 pm »
The liquor store near my house is getting some in the morning, so it looks like tomorrow will be tasting day.  The guys at the shop laughed when I asked and said every five minutes someone came in and asked for it.

I bought a sixer at the 7 11 in Fallston in Harford county yesterday.. Strange place to.find it.