Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241388 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4740 on: August 09, 2014, 02:41:10 pm »
Wings at DC Brau today...as of 2pm, they sold half of the cases.

Yada

« Reply #4741 on: August 12, 2014, 03:19:34 pm »

I will never buy this beer again.

Something has happened in either their canning process or their recipe since they first released this beer as it basically tastes awful now IMO.

The one saving grace of that brewery was Wings, now there is nothing there worth drinking IMO.

James Ford

« Reply #4742 on: August 12, 2014, 03:49:15 pm »
I'll be happy to give you $2 per unopened can from this last batch.

Something has happened in either their canning process or their recipe since they first released this beer as it basically tastes awful now IMO.

The one saving grace of that brewery was Wings, now there is nothing there worth drinking IMO.

Yada

« Reply #4743 on: August 12, 2014, 03:54:52 pm »
I'll be happy to give you $2 per unopened can from this last batch.

Sounds good.

James Ford

« Reply #4744 on: August 12, 2014, 07:29:46 pm »
Not too much of a surprise that Seattle would have the best beer selection and the Yankees would have the worst.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/mariners-have-best-beer-selection-in-mlb--study-says--while-yankees-have-worst-223400837.html

stevewizzle

« Reply #4745 on: August 12, 2014, 08:10:14 pm »

is it still $18? because i never understood how they could justify such a ridiculous price.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4746 on: August 12, 2014, 08:32:11 pm »
Not too much of a surprise that Seattle would have the best beer selection and the Yankees would have the worst.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/mariners-have-best-beer-selection-in-mlb--study-says--while-yankees-have-worst-223400837.html

this is neat. they have fremont and balebreaker always on tap, both incredible breweries.  hell, balebreaker makes a pale ale (field 41) and an IPA (top cutter) that are pretty much cream of the crop in the PNW.  it helps their brewery is right in the middle of yakima valley.

James Ford

« Reply #4747 on: August 12, 2014, 09:42:54 pm »
Comparing the top 5 for San Diego vs. the top 5 For Seattle, I'm not sure how San Diego only comes in t #8.

this is neat. they have fremont and balebreaker always on tap, both incredible breweries.  hell, balebreaker makes a pale ale (field 41) and an IPA (top cutter) that are pretty much cream of the crop in the PNW.  it helps their brewery is right in the middle of yakima valley.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4748 on: August 12, 2014, 10:23:12 pm »
Comparing the top 5 for San Diego vs. the top 5 For Seattle, I'm not sure how San Diego only comes in t #8.

indeed.  looks like there's an unreasonable bias towards quantity in whatever equation was used.  there's plenty of options at safeco, but a lot of them are meh

Yada

« Reply #4749 on: August 13, 2014, 01:20:37 pm »

is it still $18? because i never understood how they could justify such a ridiculous price.

It came to $20 a sixer after taxes. I was willing to pay that when it first came out, but I stand firm that either the recipe changed or something during the canning process is giving it a strange taste...as it warms up a bit, I find it undrinkable.

« Reply #4750 on: August 14, 2014, 03:48:16 pm »
So is anyone attending any of the DC beer week events?
http://dcbeerweek.net/
Just did a cursory look and i'm not that impressed

would like to know if any one saw a good one that I over looked
slack

stevewizzle

« Reply #4751 on: August 14, 2014, 09:05:07 pm »

It came to $20 a sixer after taxes. I was willing to pay that when it first came out, but I stand firm that either the recipe changed or something during the canning process is giving it a strange taste...as it warms up a bit, I find it undrinkable.

i don't doubt that the taste is different, but maybe they had an off batch (happens a lot with DIPAs), and i wonder if you had something before drinking that altered your pallet or the taste. 

Yada

« Reply #4752 on: August 15, 2014, 12:28:46 pm »

i don't doubt that the taste is different, but maybe they had an off batch (happens a lot with DIPAs), and i wonder if you had something before drinking that altered your pallet or the taste. 

That's two off batches then in the past 8 months. The last time I had Wings was around Xmas of last year and it also tasted off. I couldn't even get through the sixer. Maybe my palette has changed but ohhhhhh something ain't right.

James Ford

« Reply #4753 on: August 15, 2014, 01:27:33 pm »
It's just you.

The 10 most recent scores on Beer Advocate, all since August 13, have a mean of 4.42, in line with the 4.34 overall average.

And Beer Advocate is always right.

That's two off batches then in the past 8 months. The last time I had Wings was around Xmas of last year and it also tasted off. I couldn't even get through the sixer. Maybe my palette has changed but ohhhhhh something ain't right.

James Ford

« Reply #4754 on: August 16, 2014, 05:58:30 pm »
Stone announces its three finalists for its East Coast brewery location...

Columbus, Richmond, and Norfolk are indeed the three finalists