Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241446 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5085 on: December 05, 2014, 02:20:20 pm »
I also drank with a Backwoods Bastard the other night, didn't like it all that much.
hmm...really should talk about Julian like that
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5086 on: December 05, 2014, 02:24:36 pm »
I also drank with a Backwoods Bastard the other night, didn't like it all that much.
hmm...really should talk about Julian like that
You're being CRAZY!!
LVMH

stevewizzle

« Reply #5087 on: December 05, 2014, 02:48:25 pm »
really spicing up this Beer thread
I'm sure SteveW is reading every post with anticipation of the next
SteveW and you might start making out?! That's so crazy, why would you even suggest that?!

meh, i'm just bitter and have lost a lot of faith in this board when we failed to send killsaly to nickelback and banned atomic/JF, who were possibly the same person the more i think about it. but probably not.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5088 on: December 05, 2014, 02:53:24 pm »
I also drank Backwoods Bastard the other night, didn't like it all that much.

i heard this years batch is excellent. this is one of my favorite beers... definitely one of the more unique barrel-aged beers, and a beer that i discovered through the beer thread!  i cracked open a 2011 a few weeks ago and was sad to see it took a turn south. 

i took this week off from drinking after last week got a little crazy.  blew through a keg of homebrew in just under 2 weeks - with help from friends of course.  i'm sitting on a couple great bottles i can't wait to open, including 2013 backwoods (thanks sweetcell!), BA narwhal, abyss, BA speedway, and 2013 kentucky dark star.  winter is my favorite time to consume.

« Reply #5089 on: December 05, 2014, 03:27:06 pm »
Got my hands of one of these and offered as a 'dessert beer' at my Thanksgiving
Very tasty and not too boozy

Guy was surprised his store even got them as he bragged only 20 cases were delivered to the whole state of Florida
slack

Bagley

« Reply #5090 on: December 05, 2014, 04:01:31 pm »
So I call my local American Tap Room to see if they have something interesting on tap (thinking maybe a Lagunitas Brown Sugga.  Like I had last year at this time) . Lo and behold the bartender tells me they have the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. What kind of pour and how expensive?, I ask......Eight ounces for $15, he says.  YIKES!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5091 on: December 05, 2014, 05:42:17 pm »
what's the best place to grab a beer around Eastern Market?
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5092 on: December 05, 2014, 05:46:57 pm »
people have a bad habit, and need, to appear that they know something in front of other people.

does it need to be a bad habit?  can't people just enjoy beer and not have it be a bad thing? 

You didn't like it at all or you just aren't sure if you LIKE-like it yet?

you have poor reading comprehension.

he has selective reading comprehension.

i'm sitting on a couple great bottles i can't wait to open, including 2013 backwoods (thanks sweetcell!), BA narwhal, abyss, BA speedway, and 2013 kentucky dark star. 

please let me know how the BA'ed narwhal is.  i almost picked up a bottle today, but at $22 (including tax) i just couldn't justify it.  i can almost get two Unibroue 17 Grande Reserve at that price.

and THANK YOU for the KDS... it's on my radar for near-term consumption.  need to pare down that cellar.

Got my hands of one of these and offered as a 'dessert beer' at my Thanksgiving
Very tasty and not too boozy

BBQ is an amazing beer.  great choice for sharing with non-beer nerds, always seems to go over well.

What kind of pour and how expensive?, I ask......Eight ounces for $15, he says.  YIKES!

yup, that's BCBS for ya.  a 4-pack of small bottles is typically $24 or more.  whole foods in foggy bottom has it on tap right now (along with 2013 BCBS barleywine) at $10 for 10 oz.
<sig>

fatskippy

« Reply #5093 on: December 05, 2014, 05:57:17 pm »
Magruders had a keg of 2013 BCBS for growler fills the week of Thanksgiving. It was delicious and a relatively good deal at $35. I brought a growler to Thanksgiving dinner, which was full of bud drinkers. They were not impressed. "Is this really even considered beer? You honestly like this?"

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5094 on: December 05, 2014, 06:01:13 pm »
yeah, not too surprising.  i would describe BCBS as an extreme beer".  definitely not for everyone.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #5095 on: December 05, 2014, 06:13:15 pm »
what's the best place to grab a beer around Eastern Market?

kind of a "craft" beer waste land down there, but a good amount of enjoyable bars.

http://beuchertssaloon.com

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5096 on: December 05, 2014, 06:29:49 pm »
yada - cool, thanks.  might stop in for a perennial saison.

i also came across http://www.belgacafe.com/ in case i want to get my belgian on.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #5097 on: December 05, 2014, 09:22:38 pm »
i'm sitting on a couple great bottles i can't wait to open, including 2013 backwoods (thanks sweetcell!), BA narwhal, abyss, BA speedway, and 2013 kentucky dark star. 

please let me know how the BA'ed narwhal is.  i almost picked up a bottle today, but at $22 (including tax) i just couldn't justify it.  i can almost get two Unibroue 17 Grande Reserve at that price.

and THANK YOU for the KDS... it's on my radar for near-term consumption.  need to pare down that cellar.

yeah, it was $22 for me.  at least it's a 750! still surprising to see something priced that high from sierra nevada. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:24:34 pm by stevewizzle »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5098 on: December 05, 2014, 09:36:07 pm »
When does the narwhal bacon?
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5099 on: December 06, 2014, 12:45:13 am »
When does the narwhal bacon?

Ok, I'll bite: I don't know, when does narwhal bacon?
<sig>