Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241439 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5250 on: February 11, 2015, 04:33:39 pm »
oh shit, actually, when in september?

fresh hop fest usually happens the third or fourth week in september.  that shit will get you on board with what i'm talking about.

Either the front or back end of the weekend of the 26th. Hopefully will be out there for five days or so... at least.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5251 on: February 11, 2015, 04:36:04 pm »
just hit up the PNW board beforehand, there's always a running visiting seattle guide and it usually includes a list of age-restricted places. lucky for you, fremont and reubens is all-ages.  i'd show you around, but i'm not sure any of the places i frequent have the rare and hyped beer you normally seek out :P

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/toronado-seattle.177649/page-6

Wizzle, I know we've never had the pleasure of meeting, but I'd bet out of this little 930 club board clique of beer drinkers, I have the least snobbiest tendencies.

Thanks for the link.

i just die a little every time i see another HT circlejerk.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5252 on: February 11, 2015, 04:42:32 pm »
what if we allowed him only to post in the beer forum and the thread atomic made for him about asking him financial advice?
I just threw up a little in my mouth.
LVMH

fatskippy

« Reply #5253 on: February 11, 2015, 04:44:02 pm »
If only James Ford were here to criticize this purchase by StoneTheCrow, this would lead to epic posts.

speaking of JF, i accidentally ran into him on the BA forum. he was asking whether or not his child would be allowed into certain seattle beer establishments. seems like he's doing just fine post 930 days.

In 10 years of reading the BA forums, he is the only person I've ever put on ignore.

I decided to skip on hopslam this year. $27 and the month old bottling date were too much.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5254 on: February 11, 2015, 04:48:52 pm »
oh shit, actually, when in september?

fresh hop fest usually happens the third or fourth week in september.  that shit will get you on board with what i'm talking about.

Either the front or back end of the weekend of the 26th. Hopefully will be out there for five days or so... at least.

you'll absolutely catch fresh hop season. i'll be around, and if the beer sucks, you can go back to DC and then anonymously bash me on the forum.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5255 on: February 11, 2015, 04:49:57 pm »
If only James Ford were here to criticize this purchase by StoneTheCrow, this would lead to epic posts.

speaking of JF, i accidentally ran into him on the BA forum. he was asking whether or not his child would be allowed into certain seattle beer establishments. seems like he's doing just fine post 930 days.

In 10 years of reading the BA forums, he is the only person I've ever put on ignore.

I decided to skip on hopslam this year. $27 and the month old bottling date were too much.

that beer has seemed to suffer this crazy backlash over the past two or three years.  any word on how nugget nectar is tasting this year?

Space Freely

« Reply #5256 on: February 11, 2015, 04:53:32 pm »
what if we allowed him only to post in the beer forum and the thread atomic made for him about asking him financial advice?

I threw up a little in my mouth when you started a thread soliciting forum member's opinion on the looks of one of the lone female forum members.

Creep.

Yada

« Reply #5257 on: February 11, 2015, 05:05:53 pm »

that beer has seemed to suffer this crazy backlash over the past two or three years.  any word on how nugget nectar is tasting this year?

I've enjoyed the Nugget Nectar I've had. I have not and most likely will not pursue Hop Slam as there are many other tastier beers out there (it's just an IPA wizzle!!). I did have incredibly fresh Dirt Wolf and Hop Ranch in the past few weeks (all kegged within a few days) and both were delicious. I didn't love both of the beers when I drank them in the past.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5258 on: February 11, 2015, 05:24:30 pm »
I threw up a little in my mouth when you started a thread soliciting forum member's opinion on the looks of one of the lone female forum members.
I did no such thing.
LVMH

stevewizzle

« Reply #5259 on: February 11, 2015, 06:31:56 pm »

I've enjoyed the Nugget Nectar I've had. I have not and most likely will not pursue Hop Slam as there are many other tastier beers out there (it's just an IPA wizzle!!). I did have incredibly fresh Dirt Wolf and Hop Ranch in the past few weeks (all kegged within a few days) and both were delicious. I didn't love both of the beers when I drank them in the past.

hop ranch is made with mosaic and azacca hops - i've never had it because, well, i imagine they don't travel across country well. i've brewed single-hopped IPAs with both azacca and mosaic, and preach the superiority of azacca. you can get a lot of great flavor out of that hop... not sure it has "the next citra" written all over, but it's up there.

« Reply #5260 on: February 11, 2015, 06:39:42 pm »

Creep.
So we all already knew this...but I guess this confirms SF=JF
slack

Bagley

« Reply #5261 on: February 12, 2015, 01:50:03 pm »
I've always stood behind the Hopslam as a DIPA that stands out in what has developed as a very crowded field.  This year's batch came my way this week and I've had a couple so far.   I must say that the overwhelmingly fresh tropical fruit aroma that I've become accustomed to, is not there this year. Disappointing. It's still very good but, like other boardies have mentioned,  it's got a lot of competition these days (particularly the Alpha Domina Mellis by DC Brau).   Though it does have a very unique buzz which i have not experienced with other DIPAs in this ABV range.  Anyone else?

I found it for $55/case in PA so I don't feel that it was a waste, especially because i live in Maryland where a six of very delicious Sculpin cans cost me $18.99!

Yada

« Reply #5262 on: February 13, 2015, 02:38:10 pm »
i'm not particularly excited for hopslam.  maybe i'll change my mind if reports are that this year's batch is amaze-balls, but barring that i doubt i'll buy any.  i'm not sure if the beer has gotten worse or if my tastes have change, but the last few years i've been underwhelmed.

an IIPA that i am really excited about is flying dog's single hop HBC-431.  it's a one-time release made with a new experimental hop that tastes amazing.  get it while you can.

I just grabbed a six pack of this, I'll report back with my findings.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5263 on: February 14, 2015, 05:56:44 pm »
i went through a 6-pack of hop hunter pretty quick this last week.  solid beer, not much different than celebration.  also picked up stone delicious IPA and grapefruit sculpin.  not a fan of either at all, delicious has too much lemon and a nasty aftertaste, and grapefruit sculpin tastes as advertised and the result just isn't something i'm looking for in a beer.  anyone know anything about stone's gluten free approach for delicious? i read something about it having to do with the yeast.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5264 on: February 14, 2015, 06:50:25 pm »
anyone know anything about stone's gluten free approach for delicious? i read something about it having to do with the yeast.

they use Clarity-Ferm from White Labs (source).

i've been using it occasionally on pale beers to reduce chill haze.  the enzyme that it contains breaks down proteins responsible for haze.  among those proteins is gluten.
<sig>