Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241423 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5910 on: October 19, 2015, 01:07:04 pm »
First, is Jai Alai actually a hard beer to find? The Total Wine and More across the street from me has it by the truckload.

as Space mentioned, they have only recently returned to the area.  they don't distribute at all in MD, and i haven't seen it in DC (not that i hit many shops), so finding some in Tysons this past weekend was nice.  i haven't had any in at least a year, probably longer.

Also, is "how many days old my beer is" really a thing? At how many days does beer become sub-optimal?

the aroma and taste of hops drop off pretty quickly.  for beers where hops are the main attraction (read: IPAs), it's all about the freshness.  i generally only buy IPAs if they are less than a month old, maybe 6 weeks if stored cold (negative points for TJs: all beer is stored on the floor, so room temp).  the alchemist brewery, makers of heady topper, will only distribute to locations that have on-site refrigeration.  no warm storage allowed (not that the stuff requires much storage since it never lasts... a virtuous circle).

for most other beer, freshness is still desirable because beer stales.  oxidation is mostly what you're trying to avoid.  wheat beers tend to deteriorate relatively quickly, anything with dark malts (aka dark beers) tend to fare better.

and some beers benefit from aging.  big beers like barleywines and imperial stouts might be too "hot" when fresh and need some time to mellow out.  wild/sour beers with live bugs in them will continue to develop for years and become funkier, more complex, etc.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #5911 on: October 22, 2015, 09:34:24 am »
Hey Sweetcell, was this beer ever served at a bottle share?

Had one last night, half price at Smoke and Barrel. Absolutely stunning beer. Also had Ocelot Never Ending Maze, my favorite Ocelot IPA so far. Had to skip the three Alpine hoppy beers.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5912 on: October 22, 2015, 10:26:18 am »
Hey Sweetcell, was this beer ever served at a bottle share?

Had one last night, half price at Smoke and Barrel. Absolutely stunning beer.

yup, it was the last share at your place.  in fact 2 bottles showed up, we only drank one.  i ended up bringing my bottle back home ;D  it's safely sleeping with my other belgian sours, waiting for the right day...

i bought mine in belgium, and these were the most expensive bottles i brought back.  i've seen them here for $25 (and as high as $35).  i imagine $20-25 is about what you paid for this at a restaurant when half-price?

is that a pic of your bottle, or is that an online random?  2010 vintage...
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #5913 on: October 22, 2015, 10:31:19 am »
That's just a random pic.

They have it at Smoke and Barrel on draft. $10 for a 9 oz pour. The Wednesday half price happy hour brought it down to $5. Wish I had had two of them at that price but alas I was driving.

I think there's a bottle or two sitting around one of my local shops priced in the low 20's. May have to spring.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:33:02 am by Space Freely »

« Reply #5914 on: October 23, 2015, 11:56:46 am »
sweets...sounds like you need to step up your game and Ocelot might brew your beer

Ocelot is proud to support our resident homebrew club, 50 West, and we are excited to announce the winners of the first annual 50 West / Ocelot Homebrew Competition. Our best-in-show winners include:

1st Place: Chris Palmisano, Category 21B: Specialty IPA (Black IPA), Hanger 18
 2nd Place: Joe Bower, Category 33B: Specialty Wood-Aged Beer (Belgian Strong Ale), Belgian Quad
 3rd Place: Chris Palmisano, 30A: Spice, Herb or Vegetable Beer (Mint Stout), S.T.A.Y

Be on the lookout for Hanger 18 in the Ocelot tap room, as we will be working with Chris Palmisano in the coming months to brew this first place recipe.

Thank you again to all 50 Westers who participated. All of your entries were delicious and we certainly had a difficult time picking the top three.
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5915 on: October 23, 2015, 02:08:24 pm »
heh, thanks for thinking of me.  dunno if i'm up for joining a club that's over an hour away...
<sig>

« Reply #5916 on: October 23, 2015, 02:29:31 pm »
heh, thanks for thinking of me.  dunno if i'm up for joining a club that's over an hour away...
Also don't know if I'd be a member of any club that would have me as a member

But did think it was pretty cool that they are going to brew up the winning batch
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5917 on: October 23, 2015, 03:16:50 pm »
ok groucho :)

3 Stars, and i believe DC Brau, have done this in the past.  i once entered a kolsch into such a competition, unfortunately it was well past its prime so never had a chance of winning.   too bad because it was solid when fresh.  the prize was to spend the day brewing the beer with the brewers, on the big system - something most homebrewers would die for.  my mom was visiting at the time and couldn't understand why anyone would do this.  "so first you have to give away some of your beer (for them to judge); then if they like it; you go work for them for a day, for free?  and then they sell all of your beer and keep the money?  why would you choose to do such a thing???"  thanks for the support, mom.

i'll be brewing a DIPA this afternoon, and a double batch of saison tomorrow (one half destined to be brett'ed).  no plans on entering any of into any comps, but TBD ;D
<sig>

« Reply #5918 on: October 29, 2015, 10:55:11 am »
Put a 'new year's beer' in the fermenter last night
First time using orange peels, coriander  and Belgian candy
OG was 1.078

Says to keep in the fermenter for 11 days, do you usually wait for the bubbling to stop and do a Gravity test?

slack

stevewizzle

« Reply #5919 on: October 29, 2015, 11:05:09 am »
OG was 1.078

Says to keep in the fermenter for 11 days, do you usually wait for the bubbling to stop and do a Gravity test?

i'd say 48 hours after bubbling has stopped.

are you bottling it after 11 days?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5920 on: October 29, 2015, 11:26:41 am »
OG was 1.078

headed for 8-9% ABV... nice!

ignore any advice that has set dates for fermentation.  yeast can't read a calendar.  they do their own thing, on their own time.  depending on the conditions of your fermentation it could take longer or could be done faster.

48 hours after bubbling has stopped is a good line in the sand, but there is no harm in going longer.  for a beer that big i would forget about it for at least 14 days before looking at it (and 3 weeks would be more typical for me).  there is a lot of yeast to settle out, flavors to meld... no need to rush.

you asked me a bunch of questions a while back, and i've been meaning to reply.  will do this soon, i promise.
<sig>

« Reply #5921 on: October 29, 2015, 11:28:05 am »
OG was 1.078

i'd say 48 hours after bubbling has stopped.

are you bottling it after 11 days?
Don't know, put the date on my calendar
But usually wait for the bubbling to stop

Last Dipa I brewed stopped bubbling and then did a zombie like revival and started bubbling again for a good 5 more days
slack

« Reply #5922 on: October 29, 2015, 11:46:39 am »
OG was 1.078

headed for 8-9% ABV... nice!

I know...that's what I'm hoping for  ;D
oh forgot to mention all grain too

yeast can't read a calendar. 

Might be my new tag line

48 hours after bubbling has stopped is a good line in the sand, but there is no harm in going longer.  for a beer that big i would forget about it for at least 14 days before looking at it (and 3 weeks would be more typical for me).  there is a lot of yeast to settle out, flavors to meld... no need to rush.

roger!

you asked me a bunch of questions a while back, and i've been meaning to reply.  will do this soon, i promise.
No sweat...I forgot what they were anyway

I'm really looking at going to the 5 gallon brewing in the new year
been having a lot of fun with the 1 gal batches...but I hate to give even a bomber away when you only get 9-10 12oz'ers  And probably only an 60/90 mins more work and you 5 times as much

Space is just a premium in my kitchen/house and can't even think where I can put a 6 gallon glass carboy let along a 8 gallon brew kettle

I'm thinking I might ask for this one  or this one as a xmas gift

probably going to need a mash tun too
I hate plastic, but do you use something like this

slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5923 on: October 29, 2015, 11:49:06 am »
But usually wait for the bubbling to stop

give it a few days after bubbling has stopped.  yeast are still at work in there, cleaning up after themselves.  

Last Dipa I brewed stopped bubbling and then did a zombie like revival and started bubbling again for a good 5 more days

exactly why you don't want to move too quickly.  had you bottled that beer before the zombie revival you would have had over-carbonated beer or bottle-bombs.
<sig>

ggw

« Reply #5924 on: October 29, 2015, 11:51:30 am »