Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241538 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7020 on: June 20, 2016, 08:46:07 am »
I had planned a Father's Day beer outing to Aslin following a morning hike of the Billy Goat Trail. But alas Aslin was closed again as they ran out of beer SAturday at 3. There were reports of 100 people being in line even before they opened. Likely many of them to get beer to trade to people around the country (rather than consume themselves), as Master of Karate is now tied for #43 on the Beer Advocate Top 250 (and likely to go higher as it gets more reviews). Instead, we split 32 ozs of an Ocelot saison from a growler and split a 16 oz Imperial Biscotte Break tallboy (never thought I'd see that beer in a tallboy).

Oh well. We did go to Manor Hill Brewing in Ellicott City on Saturday. Good beer, though not Aslin-level. The farm brewery atmosphere there was miles better than the suburban stripmall atmosphere of Aslin. The fact that you have to make a (free) two hour limit reservation for their limited to 50 people at a time tasting room made it a comfortably pleasant (albeit a little hot, no AC) experience.

We're all screwed until production is upped dramatically at Aslin. The word is out, the beer bros are out, everyone wants it. Those reports are quite accurate. I've heard first hand accounts of multiple people that went and turned around as well as a few dudes that basically spent from 11am to 4pm to get in line, pre pay for beer, THEN wait an additional two hours to get the beer. Sounds awful.

One crowler machine plus the laws that do not allow for pre-filling of growlers will be the death of that place for me until a new system is put in place.

hutch

« Reply #7021 on: June 20, 2016, 08:54:02 am »
I think unfortunately word may also be out about Yuengling.. they were out Friday...I've heard reports of "beer bros" waiting outside BJs from six am.....we ended up splitting a miller lite (4 oz each)....we may be screwed until Yuengling ups production significantly... I only expect it to get worse as they have cracked the top 10,000 in Beer advocate..

Yada

« Reply #7022 on: June 20, 2016, 08:59:14 am »
I think unfortunately word may also be out about Yuengling.. they were out Friday...I've heard reports of "beer bros" waiting outside BJs from six am.....we ended up splitting a miller lite (4 oz each)....we may be screwed until Yuengling ups production significantly... I only expect it to get worse as they have cracked the top 10,000 in Beer advocate..

Just wait until the spider pooh hits the purchasers, that could sway them real quick back to miller lite.

Space Freely

« Reply #7023 on: June 20, 2016, 09:09:02 am »

For a minute there, I thought you used the terms "beer bros" and "bj's" in the same sentence and I came to the conclusion that you must have drank way too much at 9am on a Monday to ever use those two terms in the same sentence. But alas, that's not what you meant.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #7024 on: June 20, 2016, 09:29:11 am »
I had planned a Father's Day beer outing to Aslin following a morning hike of the Billy Goat Trail. But alas Aslin was closed again as they ran out of beer SAturday at 3. There were reports of 100 people being in line even before they opened. Likely many of them to get beer to trade to people around the country (rather than consume themselves), as Master of Karate is now tied for #43 on the Beer Advocate Top 250 (and likely to go higher as it gets more reviews).

I arrived at Aslin at 10:45 on Saturday and it took 90 minutes to get in and order. Another 2.5 hours to collect the growlers I'd ordered (thankfully we had brought a picnic and could order beers to drink). There was a little anxiety as they already stopped pouring 3 of the 4 beers they had available.

My first trip there and the guy we ordered from admitted they were overwhelmed. That being said the beers are legit. Master of Karate is spectacular. But I doubt I'll go back on a weekend until their expansion is completed.

Space Freely

« Reply #7025 on: June 20, 2016, 12:31:25 pm »
Well shit, if all of you guys are going to stop going to Aslin, I may just have to go back, as there will now be beer for me.  ;)

Actually, Thursdays post-rush hour might work out for me better than Saturday afternoons anyway. So jealous of my co-worker who lives less than 10 minutes away.

Yada

« Reply #7026 on: June 20, 2016, 12:50:06 pm »
Well shit, if all of you guys are going to stop going to Aslin, I may just have to go back, as there will now be beer for me.  ;)

Actually, Thursdays post-rush hour might work out for me better than Saturday afternoons anyway. So jealous of my co-worker who lives less than 10 minutes away.

I don't think his proxmity would really help him on a Saturday release. You still need to show up two hours in advance with all of the neckbeards.

Space Freely

« Reply #7027 on: June 20, 2016, 12:59:00 pm »

I don't think his proxmity would really help him on a Saturday release. You still need to show up two hours in advance with all of the neckbeards.

True, but it would help him on non-Saturday releases...and in general.

Yada

« Reply #7028 on: June 20, 2016, 05:15:38 pm »

We will see how they manage this in the future.

Also.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/snallygaster-dcs-largest-beer-festival-tickets-25933152758?utm_campaign=9dc806a1f6-Snallygaster_2015_Ticket_Announcement&utm_term=0_2d4a7f3f34-9dc806a1f6-317435973&utm_source=Snallygaster&utm_medium=email&mc_eid=96a82da5ab&mc_cid=9dc806a1f6

Space Freely

« Reply #7029 on: June 20, 2016, 09:39:23 pm »

We will see how they manage this in the future.

Also.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/snallygaster-dcs-largest-beer-festival-tickets-25933152758?utm_campaign=9dc806a1f6-Snallygaster_2015_Ticket_Announcement&utm_term=0_2d4a7f3f34-9dc806a1f6-317435973&utm_source=Snallygaster&utm_medium=email&mc_eid=96a82da5ab&mc_cid=9dc806a1f6

Forecast calls for rain.

Yada

« Reply #7030 on: June 21, 2016, 02:20:57 pm »
Attended one of the more epiQ bottle shares of my life this weekend... whalez upon whalez with too many good beers.

Highlights included:

Cantillon - Saint Lamvinus
De Garde - Imperial Berry Bu, Impeiral Purple Raz Bu
Toppling Goliath - King Sue
Tree House - Bright and JJJuliusss*
Green Man Brewery - Snozzberry
Cycle Brewing - Rare Scoop (maybe the beer of the evening)
Trillium - Raspberry Soak

*not pictured

Yada

« Reply #7031 on: June 22, 2016, 04:59:11 pm »
Space... watch your back brother.

Space Freely

« Reply #7032 on: June 22, 2016, 06:02:53 pm »
Vince Neil on the beer thread?

Space Freely

« Reply #7033 on: June 23, 2016, 12:17:45 pm »
Anyone going to the Double Orange Starfish release today? I bet Brennser will be there!

Yada

« Reply #7034 on: June 23, 2016, 01:01:20 pm »
Anyone going to the Double Orange Starfish release today? I bet Brennser will be there!

Negative... I am trying to set up a meeting to end in Reston around 3pm either next Thursday or Friday... but the issue is then I get stuck in rush hour traffic driving home.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:03:27 pm by Yada »