Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241474 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8265 on: June 19, 2017, 10:48:39 am »
Explode in your hand?

Yes, I've packed cans without incident but you're traveling quite a bit further than I did.

I was pulling on of those four pack snap thingys, and boom, it exploded in my hand.

I've had several others where the beer came gushing out of the can like a volcano upon opening. It's the same batch of a wild IPA that they brewed a month or two ago.

I think the answer is to refrigerate the beer 100% of the time, but I have too much beer to refrigerate, even if I bought and dedicated a second fridge just to beer.

medeski7

« Reply #8266 on: June 19, 2017, 11:16:34 am »
Veil is putting out 2 of my 3 favorite beers they do this week: Crucial Taunt and Hornswoggler. (Lord Shredder is the other.) Planning on heading over on Tuesday if anyone wants me to pick them up anything.

Hi there, I'm very interested in this.  I know I'm not a super regular here, but I'd appreciate being in on this if you're down for it.  I went to the Aslin release this week and have trades if you'd prefer that to cash.  I'm interested in all three of the releases at the Veil this week. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8267 on: June 19, 2017, 11:42:29 am »
Anybody ever flown with canned beer? If so, how did it hold in the checked luggage compared to bottles?

We're headed to a wine-centric European nation for vacation, but I'm planning on bringing a handful of cans to drink while there.

never had a problem with cans.  i'd much rather pack cans than bottles.

where are you headed?  craft beer is available everywhere now, even in wine-centric corners of euroland...
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #8268 on: June 19, 2017, 11:44:21 am »
Anybody ever flown with canned beer? If so, how did it hold in the checked luggage compared to bottles?

We're headed to a wine-centric European nation for vacation, but I'm planning on bringing a handful of cans to drink while there.

where are you headed?  craft beer is available everywhere now, even in wine-centric corners of euroland...

sweetcell, do you understand the cost savings to travel with your own beer a few thousand miles??????!!!

Space Freely

« Reply #8269 on: June 19, 2017, 12:06:11 pm »

Yes, there is craft beer available in many places, but I'm pretty sure I won't find Sip of Sunshine there. In three month old cans that are only going to be two weeks older when we return home.

We're headed to Northern Italy. The first week in the cities there should be a fair amount of craft beer available (Venice, Bologna, Florence, Ferrara, Verona). The second week in the Dolomites and at Lake Garda, we might be reduced to drinking German swill, albeit in places that look like this:

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #8270 on: June 19, 2017, 02:05:20 pm »
I can appreciate that. Headed to Barcelona and France this fall and aside from Belgian beers the prospects are not good, beer-wise.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8271 on: June 19, 2017, 04:32:37 pm »
... Sip of Sunshine there. In three month old cans that are only going to be two weeks older when we return home.

I can appreciate that. Headed to Barcelona and France this fall and aside from Belgian beers the prospects are not good, beer-wise.

while you might not find mind-blowing beer in every single supermarket, you do have options:
- Barcelona (sorted by rating)
- France
i definitely came across some very good beer in france, and there are indeed belgian beers just about everywhere (except maybe the very south of the country).  based on the interviews with spanish brewers that i hear on my favorite brewing podcast, you'd think spain has a huge beer scene, at least in the big cities... let us know what you find ;D
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #8272 on: June 20, 2017, 09:32:54 am »
Love Sip of Sunshine, but I like Super Session more.

Just got back from Seattle and found Cloudburst Brewery. Really delicious. Had Refractive IPA and SOP IPA and my husband really liked their Pilsner.

Was also able to try 4 Holy Mountain beers. All delicious.

I miss the PNW beers already.

Yada

« Reply #8273 on: June 20, 2017, 10:01:41 am »
Love Sip of Sunshine, but I like Super Session more.

Just got back from Seattle and found Cloudburst Brewery. Really delicious. Had Refractive IPA and SOP IPA and my husband really liked their Pilsner.

Was also able to try 4 Holy Mountain beers. All delicious.

I miss the PNW beers already.

What did you bring home? :)

and LOL

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/2017-best-beers-america-results/

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #8275 on: June 20, 2017, 10:09:56 am »
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/2017-best-beers-america-results/
Only 4 beers from Michigan in the top 6?

I love that Julian went from a beer hater to now attending beer releases at Veil.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #8276 on: June 20, 2017, 10:20:33 am »
Anybody ever flown with canned beer? If so, how did it hold in the checked luggage compared to bottles? We're headed to a wine-centric European nation for vacation, but I'm planning on bringing a handful of cans to drink while there.

I usually wrap luggage beer individually in bubble wrap and then seal it a plastic bag. I've only ever had one or two bottles break.

I hope the cans I'm bringing hold up better than the over-carbonated mess cans from Aslin that I'm not bringing. I even had one of their cans explode in my hand the other day, sending beer everywhere. Who knew I was so strong?

And though the country we're going to is wine-centric, I still have my eyes on some good Belgians to bring home.  ;)

Just don't hastily rearrange cans when one of your suitcases is over the weight limit and throw the remaining cans loosely into the other bag. What a fun day that was! RIP four Heady cans and a forever stinky hops suitcase. At least the Hill Farmstead bottles remained intact  ;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8277 on: June 20, 2017, 10:28:30 am »
<sig>

brennser

« Reply #8278 on: June 20, 2017, 11:00:45 am »
Anybody ever flown with canned beer? If so, how did it hold in the checked luggage compared to bottles? We're headed to a wine-centric European nation for vacation, but I'm planning on bringing a handful of cans to drink while there.

I hope the cans I'm bringing hold up better than the over-carbonated mess cans from Aslin that I'm not bringing. I even had one of their cans explode in my hand the other day, sending beer everywhere. Who knew I was so strong?

My Aslin/RAR cans exploded in my hand as well - they are offering refunds

I've checked cans in bags dozens of times - when I go to Boston I literally place an entire case of Trillium in a carry on bag w no other protection and have never had any leaks or damage

Yada

« Reply #8279 on: June 22, 2017, 09:57:24 am »