Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3242100 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10905 on: February 02, 2022, 05:10:53 pm »
Serious question, do new or potential new breweries excite you at this point? I mean, we are at absolute peak beer in terms of where we live and what we have access to. There's at least a minimum of probably 10 above average breweries to support within a 30 mile radius of DC, maybe more? Plus shipments of essentially anything you want... Just curious as the option of another haze brewery gets me about as excited as going to Panera Bread in the Wheaton Mall.

I pretty much agree with your list, can't think of any that would definitely replace any of those 10. I'd but four or five for home, too. Probably the same four or five as you.

The closest of those to my house is Aslin (Alexandria), at 15 minutes away. There's a Panera less than five minutes away. If a really good hazy place opened up less than five minutes from my house, I'd be more excited than having Panera nearby.

Space Freely

« Reply #10906 on: February 02, 2022, 05:13:43 pm »
nice, both Elder Pine and Wheatland are on my to-visit list  (Sapwood too)

A fellow forumer has tempted me with a bike ride to Elder Pine, but it seems a bit out of my comfort zone in terms of possibly getting smushed by a car en route.

I've seen bikes out on that route, but i wouldn't do it. Rachel Carson Park is next door is a really nice place to do a family and dog friendly hike...though Elder Pine sort of discourages kids.

Yada

« Reply #10907 on: February 02, 2022, 05:15:46 pm »
Serious question, do new or potential new breweries excite you at this point? I mean, we are at absolute peak beer in terms of where we live and what we have access to. There's at least a minimum of probably 10 above average breweries to support within a 30 mile radius of DC, maybe more? Plus shipments of essentially anything you want... Just curious as the option of another haze brewery gets me about as excited as going to Panera Bread in the Wheaton Mall.

I pretty much agree with your list, can't think of any that would definitely replace any of those 10. I'd but four or five for home, too. Probably the same four or five as you.

The closest of those to my house is Aslin (Alexandria), at 15 minutes away. There's a Panera less than five minutes away. If a really good hazy place opened up less than five minutes from my house, I'd be more excited than having Panera nearby.

Shit, already forgot one which would be Silver Branch and in my top five!! Remove Waredaca from the list or Right Proper!

Space Freely

« Reply #10908 on: February 02, 2022, 05:24:45 pm »

Shit, already forgot one which would be Silver Branch and in my top five!! Remove Waredaca from the list or Right Proper!

Google Maps says Wheatland Spring is 49.7 miles from DC, so you might have to replace that one. I only go there on the way back from hiking at Harper's Ferry. I love that place, but wouldn't drive all the way there solely to drink (though there are some good wineries to pair it with nearby.)

« Reply #10909 on: February 02, 2022, 05:24:47 pm »

funny, I almost said 'no silver branch' but held back
slack

Yada

« Reply #10910 on: February 02, 2022, 05:27:09 pm »

Google Maps says Wheatland Spring is 49.7 miles from DC, so you might have to replace that one. I only go there on the way back from hiking at Harper's Ferry. I love that place, but wouldn't drive all the way there solely to drink (though there are some good wineries to pair it with nearby.)

The radius is not the defining factor in all of this, more of a generalization that there's a ton of good beer around whether is 1.4 miles from your home or 50 miles. I for one won't travel to Reston/Herndon to pick up four packs of haze out of a garage no matter how good it is.

Space Freely

« Reply #10911 on: February 02, 2022, 05:36:16 pm »

The radius is not the defining factor in all of this, more of a generalization that there's a ton of good beer around whether is 1.4 miles from your home or 50 miles. I for one won't travel to Reston/Herndon to pick up four packs of haze out of a garage no matter how good it is.

Given the inconsistency of Aslin, I'm about 25 minutes from the closest good hazy four pack (Dominion Wine and Beer in Falls Church.)

Also, Sapwood and Black Flag ar under 30 miles, they'd definitely go on my list (though i'd never go there unless i were going to a Merriweather show.)

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10912 on: February 03, 2022, 12:35:58 pm »

8. Lone Oak

I don't care how expansive their field is, the beer sucks. Worse then Brookeville.

No love for Saints Row from anyone?

Space Freely

« Reply #10913 on: February 03, 2022, 12:49:56 pm »

8. Lone Oak

I don't care how expansive their field is, the beer sucks. Worse then Brookeville.

Lone Oak would be the first one I'd knock off, replaced of course by Sapwood.

Had not heard of Saints Row. Thanks for the heads up.

Yada

« Reply #10914 on: February 03, 2022, 01:02:21 pm »

8. Lone Oak

I don't agree that it's completely awful, however, I'd never buy it for my home.

Yada

« Reply #10915 on: February 08, 2022, 04:10:48 pm »
Ended up picking up my beer at DTC on the day of the Oscar Blues tap take over... Packed house. I had two four oz pours of the BA ted fidy variant... Both were fine, but I still prefer the original.

The Sim Cat from Ocelot is delicious as well as the Schilling Beer Co/Other Half pilsner.

Yada

« Reply #10916 on: February 10, 2022, 11:17:47 am »
Another farm brewery in MoCo opening this weekend... Appears to have a Whealand-esque vibe, can only hope the beer is as good.

https://www.landmadebeer.com

Space Freely

« Reply #10917 on: February 10, 2022, 11:40:13 am »
Another farm brewery in MoCo opening this weekend... Appears to have a Whealand-esque vibe, can only hope the beer is as good.

Wow, nice! Hopefully in the Wheatland/Elder Pine vibe and beer quality, and above the beer quality of every other farm brewery within a 30 mile radius (Manor Hill is actually a nice stop with decent beer too, imo.)

I'm planning on enjoying the nice weather my combining two of my favorite activities, hiking and taproom attending, Friday and Saturday. I'll have to see if this one can be worked into the game.

Yada

« Reply #10918 on: February 10, 2022, 11:43:27 am »

Wow, nice! Hopefully in the Wheatland/Elder Pine vibe and beer quality, and above the beer quality of every other farm brewery within a 30 mile radius (Manor Hill is actually a nice stop with decent beer too, imo.)

I'm planning on enjoying the nice weather my combining two of my favorite activities, hiking and taproom attending, Friday and Saturday. I'll have to see if this one can be worked into the game.

Report back with your findings Space!

Space Freely

« Reply #10919 on: February 10, 2022, 12:21:21 pm »

Report back with your findings Space!

Will do!

i was planning on going out to Harper's Ferry for hiking and hitting Wheatland and Juicy (first time) on the way home. It looks like for the same amount of driving, I could trade out those two and insert Landmade on opening day. Not sure I want to do that though! The other alternative was hiking out toward Walkie, and stopping at Pen Druid (and possibly Juicy, since I'd be halfway there anyway.)

Saturday was planning on taking the whole gang to Rachel Carson, and next door to Elder Pine. Unfortunately, Landmade would add too much extra drive time (and not sure of Landmade's dog or teen kid policies....maybe they themselves aren't sure at this point.)