Author Topic: Maybe we should just elect Trump president  (Read 932841 times)

hutch

Re: Maybe we should just elect Trump president
« Reply #2430 on: November 16, 2016, 09:42:14 pm »
Remember when liberals were pulling for a Trump nomination? Be careful what you wish for.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/02/why-liberals-should-support-a-trump-nomination.html

ha ha.. can you imagine if it had been another candidate? They would have gotten 10 points more!

hutch

« Reply #2431 on: November 16, 2016, 10:19:54 pm »
Your next user name should be Monday Morning QB cause that is what you are.... you're that guy that just loves to come in and go "SEE I TOLD YOU!".. you kind of remind me of Trump... I don't assume you're eagerly awaiting the next terrorist attack on US soil but I'm pretty sure you'll be on here in 0 seconds flat telling us "YOU SEE!!!!!!!!!"

But I mean I didn't take Trump lightly.. somewhere on this thread I'm pretty sure early on I was pretty bullish about his chances... thing is from the convention on he seemed to go down like a Led Zeppelin..the Republican convention was horrible compared to the D one.. he lost the three debates.. he had the Gold Star family flap.. the Miss Piggy flap .. the "I grab them by the pussy" tape... his spending was vastly dwarfed by Hillary for months...he didn't release his taxes... there were like 13 women that came out accusing him of inappropriate behavior which was exactly like what he himself had described.. I could go on.. it just seemed like one miscue after another... there was no way to anticipate that the American people wouldn't care about any of that combined with Hillary proving to be a far weaker candidate than expected....we woke up one day to the reality that the President and Hillary were campaigning in MIchigan and ending the campaign in Pennsylvania....the confluence of different factors including Comey's actions are hard to really sort out and I don't think we will ever really know with any certitude what happened...Some of the analysis is so simplistic its borderline laughable (ie., blacks are too blame cause they didn't vote in the same numbers as they did for, you know, the black President,,, really? how did she do with the left-handed vote?). I assume the history books will write a pro-Trump (the winner) version ignoring the fact he won with incredibly low favorables and resorting to demagoguery (too hard to explain to the kiddies..doesn't square with "AMERICA")  ..its just that at the end I think a certain percentage of the electorate just got Hillary fatigued.. When I saw that guy in Arlington the weekend before the election just standing on a street corner with a "Virginia doesn't vote for corrupt Hillary" I worried something was afoot but of course we had Nate Silver and all our liberal friends telling us there was no way she could lose.. group non-think....by that point it was too late anyways...

At this point I'm ready for a kick ass presidency.. Why not? Let us hope for the best... I think the damage is done to the idea of "America" and to our standing in the world.. but it is what it is.. I'm hoping the economy booms.. jobs are created by the tens of millions... we kick some terrorist ass somewhere (no war)...etc etc... Every new president starts with a certain goodwill and desire to believe it will go OK.. a "honeymoon".. some of the things I have heard from Trump I have liked... Like I said before I can never really be down with Trump cause of things he's done but I can hope things go really well.....And honestly I find the democratic party at this point a big turn off... Elizabeth Warren does zero for me.. same with Bernie who seems to be doing a "Let me tell you all the obvious (ie., the D party needs to stand with the people! No shit!) and I could have won and you know I could have won (I am not sure and you certainly didn't help H win of that there is no doubt)"...... I understand H lost but to me the idea that because she lost we need to swing massively to the left is a recipe for disaster..... Unlike many I actually thought H would be a great president and wanted her to be president.... I'm not going to get excited about Elizabeth Warren..sorry.. she gives horrible speeches and is frankly annoying to listen to..  Trump would eat her for breakfast and still be hungry for some Bernie..

at least that is the way I see it... at the moment

hutch

« Reply #2432 on: November 16, 2016, 10:24:49 pm »
Because Trump will have control to do SOMETHING.. it could be bad but at least he can do something.. with Hillary the way things were going towards the end she would not have had control... and the Republicans had already made it clear they would not work with her...maybe this also swayed some voters.. who knows...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2433 on: November 16, 2016, 10:29:33 pm »
You know I dislike Hutch on a personal level but I must pay respect where it's due: if you look at the early pages in this thread, he argues Trump as a legitimate threat and the board-erati (myself, ggw, smackie et al) basically dismiss it out of hand. I have to eat a lot of crow on that, personally. It's crow that's hard to shovel down the gullet. But the dude did sort of, tangentially, call this. And some respect is due for that.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2434 on: November 16, 2016, 10:47:04 pm »
well.. thanks.. I guess....

The truth is that when Trump was kicking ass in the republican primaries some people on the left celebrated but not because they thought he would be easy in the general but because he was destroying the Republican party and establishment which we loathed.. he was grabbing two by fours and kneecapping the Bushes (can you believe what he said about 9-11??? I"ve been saying that for more than a decade!), Rubio (who I loathe), Cruz...guys like Walker didn't last two weeks!.. I mean that was some serious FUN to watch... it felt great.. and one could not deny that... one could not fail to enjoy it because of what might happen way off in the distance during the general...

« Reply #2435 on: November 16, 2016, 10:51:09 pm »
Yeah, I meant my tepid endorsement of your predictions in the least rude way possible: egg on my all face all day. All day for the next four years.

Respectful head nod to you for whatever it's worth. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
LVMH

« Reply #2436 on: November 16, 2016, 10:52:44 pm »
I'll write a piece about voting for McCain in 08 out of protest over obama getting the nom over Hillary but it's too raw. Too raw. It's hard for me type it. God damn.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2437 on: November 16, 2016, 10:53:31 pm »
Yeah, I meant my tepid endorsement of your predictions in the least rude way possible: egg on my all face all day. All day for the next four years.

Respectful head nod to you for whatever it's worth. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

well I just don't feel deserving is all I"m saying.. anyways thanks.

this could be interesting
http://theweek.com/speedreads/662053/week-after-election-democrats-appear-verge-key-house-upset

I can only hope but Issa going down would be nice....

vansmack

« Reply #2438 on: November 17, 2016, 02:20:33 pm »
This.  Finally.  I had this conversation with a bunch of well-to-do people at a dinner party on Saturday night. But this article doesn't go far enough.  It's not just the misinformation - the truth about the separating coasts from the middle of America is also causing a ton of distress.  And it's amplified by braggadocios nature of Facebook, of which I admit, I am fully guilty.

Social Media's Global Shaking Power   
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2439 on: November 17, 2016, 04:02:10 pm »
the latest one issue voters according to the media seem to be Latinos and they didn't vote for Hillary overwhelmingly enough apparently.. well Latinos don't just vote on immigration...many of us are here legally- ummm like were born here maybe- and don't particularly care for illegals coming in to the country either.. when I hear Trump saying he is going to deport people here illegally who have commited crimes I am not too bothered to be honest... having pro Latino policies should not be equated with being pro illegal immigration..

?We?re Looking at a New Divide Within the Hispanic Community?

Nearly one in three Latino voters in Florida cast their ballots for Trump. According to a CNN and Latino Decisions exit poll, his support among Cuban-American voters was even higher: 54 percent. ?Definitely there was a hidden, secret Latino vote,? Jorge Ramos, the Univision news anchor, told me. ?We?re seeing a new divide within the Hispanic community. The wall that Trump was talking about is clearly apparent now within the Hispanic community.?

Rural white voters, he explained, aren?t the only ones frightened by the specter of feminism, Muslim immigrants and L.G.B.T. rights. ?For many Hispanic Americans, the cultural changes of the past 15 years have been very hard. Trump, for many, is a return to the mother?s womb.?

And so much more on immigration and Cuba....
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2440 on: November 18, 2016, 11:58:34 am »
As if it couldn't get worse for Jules.....

The only group that Trump did better than Romney in that wasn't non-college educated whites (41%), was in counties where the prevalence of obesity, diabetes, heavy drinking and lack of regular physical activity (43%).  They do overlap a lot, but even controlling for race, education, age, sex, income, marital status, immigration and employment, Trump improved greatly among the obese over Romney.

ECONOMIST:  if diabetes were just 7% less prevalent in Michigan, Mr Trump would have gained 0.3 fewer percentage points there, enough to swing the state back to the Democrats. 
27>34

hutch

« Reply #2441 on: November 18, 2016, 03:18:33 pm »
It can get worse.. Sen. Sessions for Atty General... this is a bad guy... Pompeo for CIA..Flynn for Nat Sec Advisor... these are all unsurprising appointments but still bad and sad...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2442 on: November 18, 2016, 04:39:50 pm »
this is among the scariest things i have ever seen... give it at least 2 minutes:

Trump Rally Footage Set to Pink Floyd "In the Flesh"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGgd3Tew_WY

well done.  now i'm going to have nightmares.

somewhat similar (but i can't imagine anyone sitting through it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5qpfNfv8Qw
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #2443 on: November 18, 2016, 05:05:23 pm »
^gee man doesn't sound like something I want to watch...

walkie,talkie

« Reply #2444 on: November 18, 2016, 05:19:10 pm »
Watched, the in the flesh one . . . God, it was beautiful!  The power of Trump, can really hypnotize you.  I, can see that now.