Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2121252 times)

killsaly

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #5070 on: March 05, 2016, 08:14:54 pm »
the Coral - Distance Inbetween

I have not heard anything from this band in over a decade and am digging these psychedelic tunes.

killsaly

« Reply #5071 on: March 05, 2016, 11:54:08 pm »
Dean Blunt - Black Metal

dyecraig

« Reply #5072 on: March 06, 2016, 09:41:09 am »

(last night...) dr. buzzard's original savannah band
kind of a duke ellington vs. chic fever dream.
pretty amazing concept and flawlessly executed.
near mint copy c/o aubergine novant health thrift shop @ manassas.

killsaly

« Reply #5073 on: March 06, 2016, 03:07:51 pm »
Gigantic Brain - Gigantic Brain
Grindcore from VA

killsaly

« Reply #5074 on: March 06, 2016, 07:39:04 pm »
the Brian Jonestown Massacre - Mini Album Thingy Wingy

I cant wait for May!

Unsanity

« Reply #5075 on: March 06, 2016, 08:01:27 pm »

(last night...) dr. buzzard's original savannah band
kind of a duke ellington vs. chic fever dream.
pretty amazing concept and flawlessly executed.
near mint copy c/o aubergine novant health thrift shop @ manassas.

I know that thrift shop. I have never found any good records in there but I feel like I will one day haha.

dyecraig

« Reply #5076 on: March 06, 2016, 08:35:17 pm »
^ i would not make a special trip.  2 milk crates of the usual.  got lucky this time.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5077 on: March 06, 2016, 09:31:52 pm »

I have not heard anything from this band in over a decade and am digging these psychedelic tunes.

got a chance to check out this one and enjoyed it... all the members were involved in a bunch of side projects the last few year during their hiatus.
T.Rex

killsaly

« Reply #5078 on: March 07, 2016, 01:31:25 am »

got a chance to check out this one and enjoyed it... all the members were involved in a bunch of side projects the last few year during their hiatus.
Looking over their discography, I have their second and third albums from a long time ago, and just got album eight; so I still have albums four through seven (and one) to check out....

killsaly

« Reply #5079 on: March 07, 2016, 01:35:28 am »
The new Violent Femmes is terrible.  I am not surprised.  Their last album, Freak Magnet, was also a huge piece of shit.

Was New Times their last decent album?  Probably.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5080 on: March 07, 2016, 09:12:56 am »
The only record I haven't heard by the coral is their 6th the butterfly house.  Their 7th was actually recorded around the time of the fourth and just recently released.  Also, check out the drummers solo record Ian Skelly "Cut From A star" which is some fine psychedelic tunes. His other album recorded as Serpent Power is ok.  The James Smelly solo album is also a great listen.  It's got a bit of a northern soul, etc feel to it.
T.Rex

bob72

« Reply #5081 on: March 07, 2016, 09:23:35 am »
Iggy & Ziggy - Cleveland '77
PENIS

Relaxer

« Reply #5082 on: March 07, 2016, 10:28:11 am »
I'll never forget seeing the Coral at the club a decade (?) ago, touring their first record. Their version of Simon Diamond that night was just unbelievable. I loved their first album, loved their show, and then felt like I'd gotten all I was gonna get from them. I should revisit some of the records I missed.
oword

Yada

« Reply #5083 on: March 07, 2016, 10:41:40 am »
http://www.npr.org/2016/02/24/467647156/first-listen-m-ward-more-rain

Might have to hit up his show.

Even my daughter was requesting him the other day. "Daddy, play some M. Wart."

I'm considering it... It's been probably five years since I've seen him, didn't love his last album and we'll see how this album goes. Ever since he teamed up with Zoey D, I kind of stopped digging his old timey sound.

Ditto. Like this one better than the last but still prefer everything from Post-War on back.

Seems like a good date night show.

after one listen, I won't be attending...

after additional listenings, leaning towards attending... I approve. I shouldn't pass judgment on albums when I'm sitting listening through computer speakers at my desk.

That new Ray Lamontagne album though couldn't be more boring... my god.

Space Freely

« Reply #5084 on: March 07, 2016, 10:51:28 am »
http://www.npr.org/2016/02/24/467647156/first-listen-m-ward-more-rain

Might have to hit up his show.

Even my daughter was requesting him the other day. "Daddy, play some M. Wart."

I'm considering it... It's been probably five years since I've seen him, didn't love his last album and we'll see how this album goes. Ever since he teamed up with Zoey D, I kind of stopped digging his old timey sound.

Ditto. Like this one better than the last but still prefer everything from Post-War on back.

Seems like a good date night show.

after one listen, I won't be attending...

after additional listenings, leaning towards attending... I approve. I shouldn't pass judgment on albums when I'm sitting listening through computer speakers at my desk.

That new Ray Lamontagne album though couldn't be more boring... my god.

My conclusion was it's ok...but I just prefer the older stuff, which is much more acoustic and mellow. I prefer him being an old timey troubadour to being whatever you'd say he is on this album (more of a mainstream rocker?). Leaning toward not wanting to go to the show... and my wife may be ready to retire from sold out standing club shows anyway, so no date night it seems. Guess I'll have to find someone else to be my date for Old 97's/Hearless Bastards.

I agreed...listened to Ray Lamontagne and it was...well "boring" may be the single best fitting word.