Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2697498 times)

Relaxer

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #2280 on: July 01, 2010, 12:13:34 pm »
The Building thing was okay. Some of the songs sounded a bit like Mogwai. Thing is, for that many guitars, I expected a bit more oooomph. It really only sounded like, say, 5 or 6 guitars.

Funny part was that in the midst of all those damn guitars, I saw a guy I work with. Don't really know him, but there he was on stage (playing guitar).

So yeah, lots of guitars. Everywhere you looked on stage, there were like at least three guitars, usually more. I swear I ordered a drink from someone playing a guitar. On my way home, I discovered that I too was playing a guitar.

Lightning Bolt was great. I couldn't believe all that noise was coming from just two dudes.
oword

azaghal1981

« Reply #2281 on: July 03, 2010, 10:52:04 pm »
DCist LB review

P.S. Anybody who did not leave that room drenched in sweat was not doing it right. Joe reached a new level of hipster bitchdom by just standing there the whole time and should be ridiculed for it.

احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2282 on: July 04, 2010, 01:33:36 am »
Even hearing Chippendale say, "can I get more kick drum in my monitor?" sounded like some distorted order coming directly from Satan's mouth due to the heavy vocoding on the microphone attached to his mouth.

he uses various forms of distortion.  there is no vocoding. 

if one is going to use a technical term, one should know what it means (in this case, what it sounds like).
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #2283 on: July 04, 2010, 01:41:07 am »
That mic does sound nothing like a vocoder.
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #2284 on: July 05, 2010, 11:28:02 am »
Farmfest was a fun way to spend a Saturday.  The venue/farm was nice, not too many people, adequate and clean bathrooms, and good music.  I caught Whoarfrost (fast crazy drumming, with timing, but good), the Rez (not great), the Slow Jerks (not good at all, and due to the fact that they were supposed to be the Morning After Girls replacement, not a good switch.  I can think of tons of local bands which would have been better), Lazlo Lee and the Motherless Children (fun set, good boogie rock), the Flying Eyes (one of my favorites, the only thing was their music didn?t really seem to warrant a mosh pit, but that didn?t stop everyone from slamming around almost every song), the Vandelles (I listened to this from my tent, the music was easily my favorite of the night and I want to see them play at a club now, I think the open air setting killed the potential of what should have been monstrous guitars), and An Albatross (what the hell?  Some of the craziest music I have had the pleasure/misfortune to listen to.  I listened to this one in my tent also, and it was truly a weird set.  They had insanely fast drumming, saxophones, so guy seeming to randomly screaming, and other interesting musical moments). All in all it was a fun, non corporate rock fest.  Setting it on a farm in the middle of no where and having no vendors and camping right in front of the stage contributed to a truly unique festival experience for me.  I also got to meet and hang with Jaguar, which was very cool. And hang with Double Daggers drummer's mom. The only drawback of the night was deciding to ?camp?.  The other campers kept me up all night, from the end of music around 2:30 to when I tore the tent down and left at 5:30. I would have been much better off just leaving before they closed the parking lot off from leaving at 2:00/

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2285 on: July 05, 2010, 12:35:33 pm »
It was very nice meeting you and your girlfriend, Killsaly. It's just surprising that it's taken this long considering that we tend to like a lot of the same bands.

Had a very good time at Farmfest. Yes, it was a real shame that The Girls had to cancel out at the last minute because I was very much looking forward to seeing them. Sure hope that Martin gets back to the US, as intended, once all is sorted out. Shame that immigration wouldn't let him stay until after the festival. At least I knew about the cancellation before the event. Don't know if the others did but everyone seemed to be having a good time never the less.

Like you, The Vandelles were my favorite and had expected it to be that way. Love their music! Admittedly though, I thought their set was a bit spotty. Agree with you that it probably was due to the outdoor setting. Also, I got the impression that they chose a setlist that they thought was more appropriate to the setting which was a bit less gazerific than they have the potential for. Of course, those elements were there too but not in full force.

An Albatross is definitely not my thing at all but I think the general crowd may have enjoyed them the most. They did put on the most professional set of all. Personally, I hated them for the first 3/4ths of their set. Then the singer finally shut up and they played on and on and on and on without him. Funny thing was, I kind of liked them once he butted out.

Our tent wasn't too far from the fire pit so we were even closer to the all nighters. Luckily, when I'm tired, I can sleep through anything so it didn't bother me at all. When we woke up, there were still some diehards going at it. Maybe a quarter of the people were still around when we left at about 8:30 or so.

Met the owner of the farm. Nice guy from what I could tell. Love the property which is a big reason why I wanted to go as I just absolutely love farm lands. It was the perfect setting for a nice small festival. Usually, I can't stand festivals because I don't like the madhouse of a large show. Same reason that I hate attending sold out shows. This one was extremely comfortable. A nice group of people yet you could work your way into any part of the festival area that you wanted. It was also extremely affordable. Another plus for me was that it was an easy and very pleasant drive from where I live. Never clocked it but I guess it was maybe a 35-45 minute drive with most being a gorgeous country road. The festival was a bit more hippie/Blues than I like but was worth it for a day of perfect weather up on the farm.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2286 on: July 05, 2010, 01:34:33 pm »
^ Re: Farm Fest 2010

Just got this comment from one of the guys in The Vandelles:

"Jaguar how awesome was farmfest! What an amazing audience....it was such a blast.."

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #2287 on: July 06, 2010, 01:03:39 pm »
The Nels Cline Singers on Thursday. I've only seen Nels with Wilco, but I've been listening to Initiate a lot since it came out, so I'm really looking forward to this show.

azaghal1981

« Reply #2288 on: July 06, 2010, 01:13:40 pm »
Draw Breath is very good as well. So is his solo album, Coward.
احمد

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #2289 on: July 06, 2010, 01:33:48 pm »
I've heard Coward as well. I like it, but not as much as Initiate. But I haven't heard the other Singers' albums. I'll probably pick them up if they're sold at the show. But Initiate is one of my favorite albums from this year.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2290 on: July 06, 2010, 01:39:24 pm »
I read that Yuka Honda might be playing keyboards with Nels Cline singers.
(_|_)

James Ford

« Reply #2291 on: July 06, 2010, 01:58:44 pm »
It would be more interesting if it was Ichiro Suzuki.

vansmack

« Reply #2292 on: July 06, 2010, 02:09:00 pm »

Just shows how out of touch you are.  It would have been much funnier if you would have said Keisuke Honda.
27>34

wml7

« Reply #2293 on: July 06, 2010, 02:12:51 pm »

Just shows how out of touch you are.  It would have been much funnier if you would have said Keisuke Honda.

What about E Honda?  ;D

vansmack

« Reply #2294 on: July 06, 2010, 02:41:12 pm »
What about E Honda?  ;D

Nice.  Now you're going old school....

Still funnier than Ichiro.
27>34