Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2692085 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #3525 on: November 14, 2011, 08:35:54 am »
I'd love to take credit for the music last night, but alas they had their own DJ... who took it in slightly different direction then I would have.

Show wasn't as good as it could have been, seemed like the band has a lot of filler or a 90min set much of it ballady.  They seemed stuck in first gear most of the night, but I suspect they have a killer festival set an it's possible they have been out several months touring the same record and are probably getting tired, his voice seemed a bit rough early on.  Fitz strikes me as being a bit like Robbie Williams little brother or an ex-boy band member, clearly a lead singer with more than a few moves.  Band IMHO needs a guitarist and full horn section to really come alive.
T.Rex

eltee

« Reply #3526 on: November 14, 2011, 12:39:53 pm »
Wow, Foo played for 3 hours? Not sure I could have maintained that time after work, but I'm sure that was fun. Hoping they come back soon, or at the club.

mekmad

« Reply #3527 on: November 14, 2011, 02:29:50 pm »
was pretty resigned to not going to the foo fighters show last night until medmad came through with some front row uppers.  the last 4 times i've seen dave/the foos have been from 25 feet away or less, luckily their stage show did a great job of filling the whole arena.  not sure if the people on the floor could see this, but the entire stage was made up of LCD panels (video 1, video 2).  from my vantage point i got the full effect of the light show. speaking of the floor, it was way undersold (pic).  a few hundred more people could easily have fit in there.  it was a little embarrassing when dave ran to the back mini-stage and there was no one on the barricades.  maybe it's fire/safety regulations that stipulate you can only have X number of people on the floor, regardless of whether they're standing or sitting? 

the show was 3 hours long, the encore being an hour of that (which we saw from the lower bowl, having snuck down).  i can see how some might say that's too long, but i loved every second of it since the show just kept getting better as it went on.  dave really gave it his all and local references were fun, like describing the soulless malls of springfield, but he might want to get some new stage banter material: he's been flogging that story about the girl in grade 7 who broke his heart for some time now.  it was cool to see bob mould brought for the encore but i feel his presence wasn't used to it's full potential.  it was great to see how much love pat smear got when he was introduced.  more pix & setlist.

for others who were at the show - dave twice mentioned "see you at the 930".  i thought he meant that he would play there at some point, but the missus thought that he was inviting people back there for a drink immediately after the show.  did anyone else catch this?  did anyone head over to the 930??

joy formidable: pretty meh, for me.  their first few songs were alright but that noise-jam at the end just bugged.

social d: i love me some mike ness, but something didn't click last night.  their performance was fine, but i didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the other times i've seen them. 

Cool, glad you liked the show.  Bummed to miss it, hopefully (doubt it) they come to the club.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3528 on: November 14, 2011, 06:21:44 pm »
Tuesday - Ray Davies @ FSS

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3529 on: November 14, 2011, 08:11:47 pm »
speaking of the floor, it was way undersold (pic).  a few hundred more people could easily have fit in there.  it was a little embarrassing when dave ran to the back mini-stage and there was no one on the barricades.  maybe it's fire/safety regulations that stipulate you can only have X number of people on the floor, regardless of whether they're standing or sitting? 

the capacity of the floor is set based on the space available.  if all of those people cram up to the front, the back looks empty.  it was at capacity.

incidentally, what is the capacity of the floor at verizon for GA shows?  i'm guestimating 1,200 (based on a review of pix from the Foos show).  anyone know for sure?
<sig>

lily1

« Reply #3530 on: November 15, 2011, 06:59:01 am »

show wasn't that good, and you got the dj shaft? makes me glad i sold my ticket and didn't go!

I'd love to take credit for the music last night, but alas they had their own DJ... who took it in slightly different direction then I would have.

Show wasn't as good as it could have been, seemed like the band has a lot of filler or a 90min set much of it ballady.  They seemed stuck in first gear most of the night, but I suspect they have a killer festival set an it's possible they have been out several months touring the same record and are probably getting tired, his voice seemed a bit rough early on.  Fitz strikes me as being a bit like Robbie Williams little brother or an ex-boy band member, clearly a lead singer with more than a few moves.  Band IMHO needs a guitarist and full horn section to really come alive.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3531 on: November 15, 2011, 07:38:46 am »

show wasn't that good, and you got the dj shaft? makes me glad i sold my ticket and didn't go!

No shafting going on, I knew a couple days before the show they were going to have their own music.  It just happened to one of the few shows anymore I was hoping to get to DJ.  At least it was a DJ and no just an iPod and where at least I was hangin' the people around me enjoyed his set.
T.Rex

saintangelsin

« Reply #3532 on: November 16, 2011, 01:26:33 am »
Just figured I'd say that I'm going to the Peter Murphy/She Wants Revenge show. I haven't been to the club in a little more than 3 years. Time seems to fly after college unfortunately, but I'm looking forward to being at the club.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3533 on: November 18, 2011, 03:10:42 pm »
how was this show, bombay?

(_|_)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3534 on: November 18, 2011, 03:12:09 pm »
kosmo, weren't you at the Sharon Jones NYE show with Fitz and his posse opening? They were pretty terrible then, I can't imagine them being good now.

(_|_)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3535 on: November 18, 2011, 04:27:18 pm »
It was a lot of fun.  Lots of hits, but a handful of songs I didn't know.  He sounded great.   Interacted well with the crowd.  A few good stories.  The 88 was the opening band and they doubled as his backup band.  They did "David Watts" without Ray while he went off to pee or something.   A handful of purely acoustic songs, which were really nice.   I'm pretty sure it was sold out, but there was plenty of room.   A few loud jerks yelling at the end - screaming "YYEEAAAHH" and the end of every friggin' stanza and yelling out song titles in the middle of different songs, but whatever.    Really nice show.

how was this show, bombay?

hutch

« Reply #3536 on: November 18, 2011, 05:27:01 pm »
hoping to finally see Dave Wakeling (English Beat) on Monday at the State... its a 25 minute walk from me so about as low hassle as they come..

K8teebug

« Reply #3537 on: November 22, 2011, 12:28:42 pm »
Did anyone go to Phantogram last week?

Bagley

« Reply #3538 on: November 22, 2011, 12:41:39 pm »
How was the English Beat?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3539 on: November 22, 2011, 03:15:53 pm »
Supersuckers/Nashville Pussy tonite at ottobar