Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901311 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #3525 on: August 03, 2015, 02:16:04 pm »
People still have DVD players?
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3526 on: August 03, 2015, 02:16:56 pm »
People still have DVD players?
I'm honestly stunned it took you that long to show up and mock the idea of physical media.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3527 on: August 03, 2015, 02:20:17 pm »
I'm honestly stunned it took you that long to show up and mock the idea of physical media.

I'm in the midst of an organizational shake up at the moment, so in between hiring one and firing another, I caught up on my thread. 

I'm also moving tonight, so Smackie is warning his followers in advance that immediate requests should be handled through different channels. 
27>34

« Reply #3528 on: August 03, 2015, 02:22:22 pm »
I'm in the midst of an organizational shake up at the moment, so in between hiring one and firing another, I caught up on my thread. 

I'm also moving tonight, so Smackie is warning his followers in advance that immediate requests should be handled through different channels. 
I'm willing to step-in and guest host the thread for the week if it helps.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #3529 on: August 03, 2015, 02:24:58 pm »
the dropping of Windows Media Center  and DVD native playing is a big deal for some
but for me no loss

this I find annoying: the new OS uses a peer-to-peer (p2p) update distribution system called ?Windows Update Delivery Optimization? (WUDO).

So in a business environment it makes sense a little... if you don't have WSUS
but this seems like a security hole waiting to happen
The WUDO does sound annoying, but you can adjust it to use it with others who have that feature on or completely turn it off. It's a shame they don't give you a heads up that your laptop will be doing that ahead of time.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #3530 on: August 03, 2015, 02:45:47 pm »

so this begs the question

where does the 930 board fall in terms of priority?

i.e. in the midst of firing some slackie...did you say "hold on a moment, my followers want an update on the status of some outdated media contraption"

These channels...like 'the bat signal'  or tweets with the hashtag #helpmesmakie
slack

« Reply #3531 on: August 03, 2015, 02:54:56 pm »
These channels...like 'the bat signal'  or tweets with the hashtag #helpmesmakie
I personally send him messages via carrier pigeon. Sadly, the pigeons are cheap, low-quality pigeons and rarely make it the long distance from Richmond to San Francisco and when they do, they certainly cannot survive the entire trip back to me. He keeps telling me carrier pigeons are outdated technology and "have worse range than bluetooth speakers."

We have a weird relationship, old Smackie and I.
LVMH

« Reply #3532 on: August 03, 2015, 02:55:41 pm »
^^ Please read that in your head using Morgan Freeman's narration voice from Shawshank Redemption.
LVMH

« Reply #3533 on: August 03, 2015, 02:58:16 pm »
^^^they really need a app for that
slack

« Reply #3534 on: August 03, 2015, 03:08:55 pm »
Apps are funny. First you hate them, then you get used to them. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on them. Willing to sit through advertisements to keep using them. That's called a recurring revenue stream model.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:30:54 pm by Julian, Verified SHITLORD »
LVMH

« Reply #3535 on: August 03, 2015, 03:52:39 pm »
^so are you responding on behalf of The VS or Jules?
slack

« Reply #3536 on: August 03, 2015, 03:58:38 pm »
^so are you responding on behalf of The VS or Jules?
It's like when your favorite radio show (EDIT: OR PERISCOPE-CAST, SORRY FORGOT IT WAS THE SMACKIE THREAD) host goes away for the week and someone else hosts the show. It's still the Smackie show, but my opinions should not be taken to constitute Smackie's personal opinion.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:02:07 pm by Julian, Verified SHITLORD »
LVMH

« Reply #3537 on: August 03, 2015, 04:01:10 pm »
In other words, I'm putting radio on the internet.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3538 on: August 03, 2015, 06:59:47 pm »
We are a Google Campus,
what exactly does that mean and why on earth would they being using MS office at all if that is the case?

I work for a university and Google handles our email, cloud/network storage, and provides us with a series of education and productivity apps.

Legacy, however, has kept us from terminating our license with Microsoft - some people still love Word/Excel/Powerpoint, though 99.9% are off Outlook now. 

I really don't like google apps for complex things, simple doc and spread sheets yes

Yes, there are times when I need to revert to MS Word for document creation, but the collaborative nature of Google Docs is slowly taking over.  Folks are realizing the having many hands in the collaborative process and working on one document simultaneously beat out the features of Word. 

The simple fact that all the Tracked Changes only show up in the Desktop Version (not even office 365!) is annoying and shows how close minded MS is.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:04:38 pm by vansmack »
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3539 on: August 03, 2015, 09:58:14 pm »

so this begs the question

where does the 930 board fall in terms of priority?

i.e. in the midst of firing some slackie...did you say "hold on a moment, my followers want an update on the status of some outdated media contraption"

pretty sure either if the board created an alert on smackie's phone it would be much higher.
o/\o