Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2692118 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #5445 on: July 23, 2013, 12:11:10 pm »
Set Times:

Ryan Bingham - 5:15pm
MMJ - 6pm
Wilco 7:40pm
Dylan - 9:20pm

(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #5446 on: July 24, 2013, 12:01:16 am »
took me 49 minutes to get home from the minute I got in my car in the parking lot after Dylan ended...

anybody beat that?

mekmad

« Reply #5447 on: July 24, 2013, 12:20:29 am »
Set Times:

MMJ - 6pm

Anyone else buy a poster and notice they spelled "Marriweather" wrong?  Nice going poster people..

hutch

« Reply #5448 on: July 24, 2013, 12:24:02 am »
Set Times:

MMJ - 6pm

Anyone else buy a poster and notice they spelled "Marriweather" wrong?  Nice going poster people..

GTFO!!!!!!!!! wow my friends bought some..wonder if they noticed.....maybe I shouldn't tell them...

mekmad

« Reply #5449 on: July 24, 2013, 12:44:02 am »

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #5450 on: July 24, 2013, 08:49:34 am »
10 minutes...but then I live 10 minutes away

took me 49 minutes to get home from the minute I got in my car in the parking lot after Dylan ended...

anybody beat that?

hutch

« Reply #5451 on: July 24, 2013, 09:16:55 am »
10 minutes...but then I live 10 minutes away

anybody beat that?

well done! wow, its hard to compete with somebody who lives 10 minutes away!

hutch

« Reply #5452 on: July 24, 2013, 09:58:08 am »
 i made a point of getting there on time (a huge sacrifice as it meant leaving my home at 2:40 or so)....good parking lot scene.. no cop bullshit.. i pounded back a few beers and cranked some bob on my boombox... weather was nice.. i went in just as bingham was starting.. a side note: i went to 932 just as MMJ was ending and was really dissapointed by the beer selection...stella, shocktop and two really shitty beers.. also corona cans..that semeed about it.. i'm not a beer snob but i was expecting more...

i am a huge bob dylan fan.. i can't pretend i'm not but my experience was that bob blew wilco off the stage.... my morning jacket i did not care for much (my third time seeing them...I just don't get them I guess...).. bingham was good but a short set of course...

what impressed me about bob last night was he was singing and not spitting out the lyrics in a rap manner as he has done at times the past few years.. .he was singing and was very engaged... at times acting out the lyriccs.. i got up very close..about the equivalent of 2nd row center in the general admission pit... so i was about 10-15 feet away from the band....

anyhow bob was in a great mood except for some issues with the piano.. he seemed unhappy about it but it sounded ok for me.. .he sent the head roadie scurrying for is life to fix it (I would hate that job!).... then he seemed fine with it.... it was rather strange how there seemed to be heat lamps or whatever on the sides of the stage.. his poor band in those matching suits and wearing those hats and with the lighting and the heat lamps..they were sweating to get their pay! the new guitarist played some nice licks to high water and tried not to fuck up... it was fun kind of watching him taking cues from tony or ocassionally bob.... at one point i think he may have been lost and tony (who is really bob's right hand man for those that don't know) was looking at him and laughing his ass off....

the blind willie was great... the highlight for most people i think was a beautifully sung simple twist of fate... shame on dc crowds for not being more with it.. nobody but me cheered when he sang about all the washington ladies getting out of town or whatever... the crowd? i did not see this mass exodus after wilco i that i had been hearing so much about.. sure a few people left the pit (it was hot) but overall the pavillion looked pretty close to full which is saying a lot when people had been there for hours and hours.... as usual dc got the shaft in terms of guests (not ONE on ANY act!!!!!!!!!!)... no tweedy/james joining bob.... at one point towards the end of the show, can't remember song, bob started leading the band on the piano playng some licks you could tell the rest of the band had not see him do.. donnie herron right behind bob whose job is to follow him and kind of i guess lead the band.. tony garnier on bass also follows him. i guess they all do: divine "what is bob up to now?".. but anyhow you could tell donnie was really enjoying what bob was doing and had a "man, check out bob!" sort of look on his face..priceless... there was a point on thunder on the mountain where the jam really took flight and everyone in the crowd started hollerin' along... as i left the venue i overheard people here or there talking about bob... everything i was hearing was positive. there was none of the crap one can read on the internets..... i don't know how the sound was further back but i can tell you having seen him 21 times now that his singing was as intelligible as i have heard it and i have seen some good ones... "soon after midnight" was gorgeous.... i had not heard duquesne whistle live until last night and it was a highlight for me..

I've never gotten that close to Bob.. one of the reasons I went to the show was because I knew the general pit would give me a chance to get that close... boy bob is short! (i thought of atomicfront an had a chuckle)..

wilco? wilco was good..they are never going to be not good.. heck, just tweedy's voice is enough for me... they are a good band but for me they were just there.....i enjoyed it but to me it seemed pedestrian and by the book.. i've seen them now about 6-7 times and i am a fan but i didn't find much to hang my hat on .... tweedy didn't seem very engaged except for a brief "we love playing this place!" statement early on.. he's starting to look like lowell george which is not a good thing...of course they had to go and play heavy metal drummer.... at one point i think they played two songs in a row from the mermaid avenue albums which was very nice...the highlight of their set for me was passenger side...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:59:57 am by hutch »

K8teebug

« Reply #5453 on: July 24, 2013, 10:54:29 am »

anybody beat that?

4 minutes.  But that's because I live down the street  :D

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5454 on: July 24, 2013, 10:58:03 am »
I enjoyed Dylan's set....I think the biggest applause of the night was She Belongs To Me....damn, that was great.
(_|_)

K8teebug

« Reply #5455 on: July 24, 2013, 11:00:41 am »
I did not get MMJ.  I love his voice, and it was lovely for the first few songs, but after that it sounded a little like all the songs blended together.  But, they were still good and I'm glad they played.  Seemed like alot of the lawn folks were there for MMJ.  Was near some pretty douchey peeps, but then we moved and all was well!

Wilco's set reminded me why I love them.  They sounded great.  Was hoping for Kingpin, but that's okay.

Bob sounded in great form.  Loved all the songs, especially Simple Twist of Fate.  Was really disappointed that the cameras for him showed everything so freaking far away.  Guessing that was a request by Bob Dylan?  It sucked not to be able to see him, but we could hear him, and that's what's most important.  Was also disappointed there was no collaboration on stage as it seems like EVERY OTHER show has gotten something really cool.  But maybe that was a Merriweather curfew thing?  I've been up front for Bob before, and it was nice just to chill on the lawn on a lovely summer evening with a beautiful moon.

all in all, a perfect summer evening with good friends and good music!  Could not have asked for a better night!

hutch

« Reply #5456 on: July 24, 2013, 12:13:47 pm »
I enjoyed Dylan's set....I think the biggest applause of the night was She Belongs To Me....damn, that was great.

yeah good point... good point..

I loved being close up but man it was hot.. can't they speed up those fans??? :)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5457 on: July 24, 2013, 12:25:02 pm »
a side note: i went to 932 just as MMJ was ending and was really dissapointed by the beer selection...stella, shocktop and two really shitty beers.. also corona cans..that semeed about it.. i'm not a beer snob but i was expecting more...

i do consider myself a beer snob, and i'm with ya - the beer selection overall at MPP is bad.  goose island IPA is the best thing there, IMO, and it was tasting a little old at the B&S show.

i'm probably in the minority and i'm sure they sell a ton of beer as-is, but i'd really welcome some better craft beer options.  at B&S i wanted to drink another beer but there was nothing worthwhile... so i held on to my money.
<sig>

shemptiness

« Reply #5458 on: July 24, 2013, 12:27:14 pm »

yeah good point... good point..

I loved being close up but man it was hot.. can't they speed up those fans??? :)

It was really smelly inside the pavilion too.  Maybe they applied fertilizer recently?   

shemptiness

« Reply #5459 on: July 24, 2013, 12:28:11 pm »
a side note: i went to 932 just as MMJ was ending and was really dissapointed by the beer selection...stella, shocktop and two really shitty beers.. also corona cans..that semeed about it.. i'm not a beer snob but i was expecting more...

i do consider myself a beer snob, and i'm with ya - the beer selection overall at MPP is bad.  goose island IPA is the best thing there, IMO, and it was tasting a little old at the B&S show.

i'm probably in the minority and i'm sure they sell a ton of beer as-is, but i'd really welcome some better craft beer options.  at B&S i wanted to drink another beer but there was nothing worthwhile... so i held on to my money.

No Duckpin last night either.   ???