Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3242884 times)

StoneTheCrow

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7770 on: December 21, 2016, 10:02:14 pm »
If only one could Priority Mail beer......

Can you?

Yada

« Reply #7771 on: December 22, 2016, 08:29:05 am »

Can you?

Fed Ex is the preferred method for shipping beer.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #7772 on: December 22, 2016, 10:23:05 am »

Can you?
Pardon my ignorance, but how would they know?
LVMH

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #7773 on: December 22, 2016, 12:47:28 pm »
Fair question. I presumed they have methods for figuring that out. Kinda like the airlines do.

« Reply #7774 on: December 22, 2016, 12:49:33 pm »
Fair question. I presumed they have methods for figuring that out. Kinda like the airlines do.
Well Airlines are physically opening your checked luggage and x-raying all your bags (unless you have Pre-check). 
LVMH

walkie,talkie

« Reply #7775 on: December 22, 2016, 02:56:52 pm »
when you ship, priority mail . . . they ask, if it is fragile, perishable, liquid, hazardous or explosive.

Space Freely

« Reply #7776 on: December 22, 2016, 03:08:58 pm »
when you ship, priority mail . . . they ask, if it is fragile, perishable, liquid, hazardous or explosive.

Tell them it is a fragile liquid and they need to be very careful when handling your homemade hot sauce that you're sending to your grandmother.

« Reply #7777 on: December 22, 2016, 03:17:47 pm »

Tell them it is a fragile liquid and they need to be very careful when handling your homemade hot sauce that you're sending to your grandmother.
Exactly. Cans of beer aren't exactly fragile if you package them correctly, anyway. How the hell are they going to know?
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #7778 on: December 22, 2016, 04:10:50 pm »

Exactly. Cans of beer aren't exactly fragile if you package them correctly, anyway. How the hell are they going to know?

Just don't get caught.

While we don't advise breaking the law, if you're going to go this route, at least avoid using the USPS. Because FedEx and UPS are licensed to ship alcohol, it's only a violation of company policy to ship alcohol. However, using the USPS to ship alcohol is illegal, and the ramifications of getting caught are far worse.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #7779 on: December 22, 2016, 05:00:11 pm »
Dangerous to ship. Not so much to receive it, I take it?

Kinda like bootlegs back in the day.

« Reply #7780 on: December 22, 2016, 05:10:39 pm »
Because FedEx and UPS are licensed to ship alcohol, it's only a violation of company policy to ship alcohol. However, using the USPS to ship alcohol is illegal, and the ramifications of getting caught are far worse.
^^ Ahh, now that answer makes sense.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7781 on: December 22, 2016, 06:44:33 pm »
i'm spending xmas on the northern californian coast.  not exactly bikini weather but the beer is good :)  bro-in-law just showed up with some Pliny, until now we've been drinking Freemont and really fresh SNPA, Sucks and Maximus (Lagunitas is a few hours down the road from here).  looking likely that i'll be leading a field trip to Russian River tomorrow ;D

Made a trip to Veil yesterday to stock up on beers for the holidays...

when i first read that, i though you meant Veil as in the ski resort in Colorado.  "humm, maybe yada IS shacking up with julian after all..."
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7782 on: December 22, 2016, 06:48:04 pm »
shipping alcohol via USPS, regardless of class of service, is a federal offense.  not sure what the chances are of getting caught because i don't know of anyone who has tried it. 

i have always used a private carrier (Fedex because it's convenient for me), pay & print label from home and quickly drop off the box before they have time to ask questions.
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #7783 on: December 25, 2016, 08:09:07 pm »
2-year old Deus Brut des Flandres with prime rib. Dayyyum gurrl.

Space Freely

« Reply #7784 on: December 25, 2016, 09:30:44 pm »
Watching Titanic and drinking Lagunitas Dark Swan, an 8.7% draft-only wild ale. It's like drinking sour/hoppy alcohol grape juice.

An experimentally hopped sour ale fermented with dark red wine grapes Observers of yestercentury once doubted the existence of the Dark Swan, stating the fair-feathered fowl was the only color of its kind. Explorers eventually upended that theory, shocking the world and shining light on the Dark. This beer might just do the same. It?s a sour ale fermented with dark red wine grapes, giving it its uniquely deep and rich purple hue. Then it received the signature Lagunitas treatment with a healthy dose of experimental dry hops. This might just shock your taste buds!