Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1180110 times)

vansmack

Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #1230 on: March 19, 2013, 12:41:43 pm »
The law still fails.

1) There should be NO groups treated differently by being deemed protected.

2) You are still ASSuming you know the reason the person committing a crime did so (except in the case that the individual expressly states that this is the reason).  Even in this case, any crime against ANYONE based on what 'group' of society they are a member of should be treated equally.  No group should get special or different treatment.

I'm not assuming anything - I'm pointing out that you did not accurately describe the current state of the law.

Nor was I arguing whether or not the law was correct in principle either - just simply stating fact.
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1232 on: March 19, 2013, 03:03:03 pm »
where's your random thought to go with that article . . . or was  :o  your random thought?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1233 on: March 19, 2013, 03:28:45 pm »
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1234 on: March 19, 2013, 04:09:51 pm »
is that a random thought, you silly billy?

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1235 on: March 19, 2013, 04:10:23 pm »
The law still fails.

1) There should be NO groups treated differently by being deemed protected.

2) You are still ASSuming you know the reason the person committing a crime did so (except in the case that the individual expressly states that this is the reason).  Even in this case, any crime against ANYONE based on what 'group' of society they are a member of should be treated equally.  No group should get special or different treatment.

I'm not assuming anything - I'm pointing out that you did not accurately describe the current state of the law.

Nor was I arguing whether or not the law was correct in principle either - just simply stating fact.

The 'you' was not a literal you.  Rephrase that to 'the law is still assuming'.  I would have thought you were intelligent to see that without explanation.

Your initial reply is based on an invalid premise and goes to prove my initial point.  The charge is not based on the intent of the person who is being charged, it is based on what someone else THINKS they know the reason someone else acted.  It is 100% thought police at its finest.
FUKIT

vansmack

« Reply #1236 on: March 19, 2013, 05:50:07 pm »
The 'you' was not a literal you.  Rephrase that to 'the law is still assuming'.  I would have thought you were intelligent to see that without explanation.

I'm well aware that almost everything you write on here is figurative language and not literal, but don't blame your blatant misuse of the pronoun "you" instead of a more appropriate pronoun like 'one' or 'they' or even a noun like 'the law,' as you have suggested, on MY lack of comprehension of the English Language.

And again, there is no judgment on the current state of the law in my answer and thus no premise put forth. I was just letting you know that you are misrepresenting the current state of the law.  You may think it impossible, and that's fine, but that does not mean that the law does not exist, nor that because you don't believe it to be possible, that it doesn't apply to you.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1237 on: March 19, 2013, 05:51:06 pm »
is that a random thought, you silly billy?

Nope. It's about Marijuana.
27>34

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1238 on: March 19, 2013, 07:46:28 pm »

I'm well aware that almost everything you write on here is figurative language and not literal, but don't blame your blatant misuse of the pronoun "you" instead of a more appropriate pronoun like 'one' or 'they' or even a noun like 'the law,' as you have suggested, on MY lack of comprehension of the English Language.

And again, there is no judgment on the current state of the law in my answer and thus no premise put forth. I was just letting you know that you are misrepresenting the current state of the law.  You may think it impossible, and that's fine, but that does not mean that the law does not exist, nor that because you don't believe it to be possible, that it doesn't apply to you.

It is not about comprehension of the language it is about recognizing the application of the language.

Your o/p stated two situations and said one was and another was not a hate crime.  The implied premise is that there is a difference between the two situations and that (in the case of the second) that there is a way to determine the reason a person commits a given act.  You simply made statements that specifically stated that the reason someone commits a given act determines if it is a hate crime.  I do understand that you have made no judgement on the merit of this absurd laws BTW.

When you boil it all down though, we are more or less saying the same thing.  These law exists that treats some groups of society differently.  IMHO this is an extremely bad thing for our government/laws to do.  Why is it any worse to beat the crap out of a (pick whatever protected group you want) person than it is to (lets say) do the same to a tall person, someone with green eyes, or anything else?  When you start making lists of protected people, it by default states that the people not in those groups are not afforded the same protection and for lack of better term are fair game and on their own.  It is just utter silliness that we have laws that not only selectively protect groups (who BTW say they are fighting to be treated equally, irony there big time) but also assume that it is even possible to determine the thought process and reasoning of the person behind the act.

FUKIT

shemptiness

« Reply #1239 on: March 20, 2013, 09:54:45 am »

atomicfront

« Reply #1240 on: March 20, 2013, 10:00:51 am »
Michelle Shocked's anti-gay rant   WTF?

I saw Michelle Shock open up for Billy Bragg in the 80's at Lisner.  She would go on long rambling stories about her childhood between songs.  Very annoying.  I guess she is just a nut job. Awful music as well.

James Ford

« Reply #1241 on: March 20, 2013, 10:09:48 am »
Odd trivia fact: Her brother Max was a member of Uncle Tupelo and Wilco and is a current member of the Gourds.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1242 on: March 20, 2013, 10:17:12 am »
i like how i post a story . . . goes over everybodys head.  someone else posts the same story days later, the world cant stop talking about it on here. 

atomicfront

« Reply #1243 on: March 20, 2013, 10:22:28 am »
Odd trivia fact: Her brother Max was a member of Uncle Tupelo and Wilco and is a current member of the Gourds.

so what you are saying is her whole family sucks at music?

James Ford

« Reply #1244 on: March 20, 2013, 10:28:46 am »
Not nearly as much as your family does in commenting on it!

so what you are saying is her whole family sucks at music?