Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1694228 times)

challenged

• Instagram
Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #5985 on: April 02, 2021, 12:56:36 pm »
I wasn't reading Rolling Stone 45 or 50 years ago.

Man, I can't believe y'all are older than I am. Or maybe your parents were reading it to you at night to put you to sleep?

Doubt any of us were. And definitely not my parents.

My dad had an issue or two laying around growing up, and I started subscribing around 12 or so and had a subscription until the early naughts, so 35 years isn't too far off.  40 would be a stretch though...

I started subscribing early 80s...am old. ended subscription probably in the early zeros. was fun. Still have many of the old issues, and many issues, because old.

hutch

« Reply #5986 on: April 02, 2021, 01:22:36 pm »
The magazine is so thin now...

It’s really just a brand now...

Pretty sure I started reading it off store shelves about 1982-3 at Tower in Kobe, Japan..that’s about when my dad got me a boombox type personal stereo and I became obsessed with music... nothing has changed

The best 100 albums of the 1980s issue that came out about 1990 was a personal favorite...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 01:24:38 pm by hutch »

vansmack

« Reply #5987 on: April 02, 2021, 01:23:16 pm »

I started subscribing early 80s...am old. ended subscription probably in the early zeros. was fun. Still have many of the old issues, and many issues, because old.

Sounds about the same.  Probably 1984-2005, had boxes of issues that I brought with me to DC, decided not to bring them back to CA and the library in Cleveland Park gladly took my donation.  I kept a handful of my favorites though....
27>34

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #5988 on: April 02, 2021, 06:02:59 pm »
😐 🎶

WALKonBack

« Reply #5989 on: April 03, 2021, 02:37:28 pm »
Cash me outside, only fans . . . how 'bout dat.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

Space Freely

« Reply #5992 on: April 07, 2021, 03:27:09 pm »
Jesus.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/players/offsite/index.html?videoId=100000007020320

Thanks for posting that. Interesting stuff. I think i predated to purity movement, probably you as well. But still...I think the push for "purity" and sexual conformity was probably the number one reason I left evangelical Christianity behind for good when i was 13 or 14.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5993 on: April 07, 2021, 03:49:33 pm »
i didn't grow up with much of that, but the missus had a state-mandated curriculum called Postponing Sexual Involvement forced upon her in school - so all the kids had to go through it, not just the offspring of the religiously repressed (then again, one could argue that everyone in that state was the offspring of the religiously repressed...).  sounds like what she went through with PSI is about the same as these religious folks: social pressure to conform, mixed messaging wrt mainstream media, public shaming, poor preparation for what your body was going to experience, etc.  sounds awful.   

Jesus.

that appears to have been the problem, yes.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5994 on: April 08, 2021, 09:48:28 am »
It’s Rex Manning Day

Note: Rex would have been canceled now a days...

Was a little fuzzy on details, but he got canceled right away at least in the store... but there would be articles on the interwebs about his behavior now
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 09:59:23 am by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5995 on: April 08, 2021, 10:25:34 am »
Its also National Empanada Day. Where do you get your favorite hand pies?

hutch

« Reply #5996 on: April 08, 2021, 10:30:36 am »
I make them

I had no idea today was such a momentous day

« Reply #5997 on: April 08, 2021, 12:50:13 pm »
Its also National Empanada Day. Where do you get your favorite hand pies?
I used to love the saltena from Julias at the top of 18th street in AdMo
there is a place by me on Columbia pike/S G Mason that makes decent ones, but haven't been there in years

I make them
can not confirm,
when did you learn that?
Do you make the dough too?
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5998 on: April 08, 2021, 07:42:57 pm »
I make them
can not confirm,
when did you learn that?
Do you make the dough too?

in order to break the cycle of us eating the same dozen dishes, we recently bought a pair of international cookbooks.  a few weeks ago i picked out empanadas.  mistake.  those things take forever to make when you aren't good at it.  i started two and a half hours before dinner time, and was only a little more than half way through my stuffings by the time dinner rolled around.  i munched on a few, then got back to rolling out dough and folding while the rest of the fam finished their meal.  they were tasty but don't think i'll be doing that again (at least not until next year's national empanada day...)
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #5999 on: April 08, 2021, 08:12:57 pm »
Empanadas are really an overnight project thing!!

And I have yet to make my own dough

I am ok buying the Argentine shells I find in Latino stores or in my case El Patio in Rockville

The key is to make a big batch at once so it’s worth it.. then you eat them over a few days