Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1694621 times)

hutch

Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #5850 on: February 11, 2021, 04:02:43 pm »
when concerts do come back, expect sky-high prices for everything.  there is so much pent up demand.  and the venues & artists are hurting, they've got pandemic debts to vanquish - everyone will be milking it.

we're all saying "whatever, i'm ready to pay anything!!!" right now... let's see how long that lasts.

What, they weren’t milking it before???

Also, we on this board are a very small subset of concertgoers...the average concertgoer sees two shows a year... if that...

Many people have seen their finances turned upside down and am not so sure their priority will be rock concerts

We will just have to see but the market has been consistently pushing prices higher pre-pandemic...

hutch

« Reply #5851 on: February 11, 2021, 04:10:34 pm »
Not to mention with so many acts needing to tour they may be taking less in guarantees etc... the supply of concert offerings may outstrip demand from concertgoers

We just won’t know til it happens but there are a ton of musicians desperate to hit the road

Space Freely

« Reply #5852 on: February 11, 2021, 04:12:55 pm »
when concerts do come back, expect sky-high prices for everything.  there is so much pent up demand.  and the venues & artists are hurting, they've got pandemic debts to vanquish - everyone will be milking it.

we're all saying "whatever, i'm ready to pay anything!!!" right now... let's see how long that lasts.

This is why I booked our summer vacation back in November. Fully refundable, of course. I expect everyone to be trying to make bucks off of pent-up demand.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5853 on: February 11, 2021, 05:19:11 pm »
What, they weren’t milking it before???

indeed they were, and were doing all that they could given the supply/demand curve in effect that that time.

post-covid, that curve will shift - there will be more supply (every musician is going to want to gig), but there is even more demand.  hundreds of bands want to tour, millions of punters want to listen/dance/party/etc.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #5854 on: February 11, 2021, 05:23:12 pm »
You may be right.

I think it’s way too early to tell...

hutch

« Reply #5855 on: February 11, 2021, 05:27:47 pm »
It’s just not that simple

There may be enforced capacity constraints which could drive up prices

But People may feel unsure about being in small indoor crowded spaces (even vaccined)...covid may never fully go away or stop circulating.. this may discourage some people particularly at the beginning

There are also a limited number of venues and you will have more acts competing for those slots so acts may accept lower guarantee offers

And , again, most people go to one or two shows a year

Lastly, I realize a lot of boardies are highly successful Mr Moneybags but many Americans have been and continue to struggle... young people - often typical concertgoers particularly for club shows- are getting shellacked and am not sure how much higher ticket prices can go before they are priced out

It’s not necessarily so simple as “everyone is going to want to party!!”
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:39:35 pm by hutch »

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #5856 on: February 12, 2021, 10:49:47 am »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5857 on: February 12, 2021, 11:44:59 am »
First, drunk Ed Grimley-level dancing, then jazzy bagpipes!

https://www.facebook.com/1539024826393663/posts/2490024377960365/

« Reply #5858 on: February 16, 2021, 05:49:08 pm »
man, every time I listen to Jen Psaki, it's just so comforting to listen to someone who is competent at what they do and are not condescending

Doesn't seem like a big ask, but after the last 4 years of press briefings, it is a breath of fresh air
slack

hutch

« Reply #5859 on: February 16, 2021, 05:55:03 pm »
I just ignore all these press conferences

Just so sick of politics

I have had my fill for a while

Bagley

« Reply #5860 on: February 16, 2021, 06:38:10 pm »
Not sure if this should go in the Prestige TV thread, but here goes:

I just wanted to mention that I'm doubly impressed with Andrew Bird.  The fact that he scored a major role on season four of Fargo and that he's actually a good actor.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5861 on: February 16, 2021, 07:39:09 pm »
Doesn't seem like a big ask, but after the last 4 years of a lack of press briefings, it is a breath of fresh air

FTFY
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5862 on: February 16, 2021, 07:53:09 pm »
Not sure if this should go in the Prestige TV thread, but here goes:

I just wanted to mention that I'm doubly impressed with Andrew Bird.  The fact that he scored a major role on season four of Fargo and that he's actually a good actor.
I didn’t have any feelings about his performance one way or another. Which I guess is a win for an actor?
LVMH

« Reply #5863 on: February 16, 2021, 07:55:47 pm »
I just ignore all these press conferences

Just so sick of politics

I have had my fill for a while
slack

hutch

« Reply #5864 on: February 16, 2021, 08:10:28 pm »
It’s because I am not anxious that I don’t need to watch