Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1694394 times)

hutch

Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #7380 on: October 16, 2023, 07:43:53 pm »
I seem to recall nearly 300 Israelis killed by terrorists at a music event….others kidnapped

Is that “music” related enough?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/at-least-260-people-dead-after-attack-at-israeli-electronic-music-festival/ar-AA1hTaG5
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 07:47:04 pm by Hutch »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7381 on: October 17, 2023, 12:07:43 am »
I seem to recall nearly 300 Israelis killed by terrorists at a music event….others kidnapped

Is that “music” related enough?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/at-least-260-people-dead-after-attack-at-israeli-electronic-music-festival/ar-AA1hTaG5

i was going to post something about this in the ukraine/russia/WW3 thread, asking if we needed to add israel/palestine to the thread title...

the news of the massacre at the music festival hit very close to home for me given that it was a psytrance festival.  i've been into the psytrance scene for over 25 years, i've attended parties/festivals all over the world including israel.  i'm aware that this is going to sound trite/hokey/etc., but i can't imagine a happier, more peaceful place than a psytrance festie.  to think that it was transformed into a hellscape of rape and torture is just devastating for me.  i'm still connected to the NYC psytrance scene, and there was a huge panic when news of the massacre broke.  appears that no one that i know was killed or kidnapped.  yay.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #7382 on: October 17, 2023, 07:47:11 am »
The concern on this board for Israel and Jews following the terrorist attacks ten days ago has been heartening.

I'm curious what you would like discussed regarding this situation?

A few insensitive remarks by Space followed by a hutch meltdown? I don't think there's much to say other than it's so fucked up and awful... I Highly suggest not following multiple Palestinian journalists who are in gaza... I've made the mistake and now can't look away.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7383 on: October 17, 2023, 08:06:28 am »
Well stated truly fucked situation that will only embolden more nut cases around the world
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #7384 on: October 17, 2023, 08:57:14 am »
The concern on this board for Israel and Jews following the terrorist attacks ten days ago has been heartening.

A few insensitive remarks by Space followed by a hutch meltdown? I don't think there's much to say other than it's so fucked up and awful... I Highly suggest not following multiple Palestinian journalists who are in gaza... I've made the mistake and now can't look away.

It’s just weird not to have even had a single mention of it in the ten days after it happened by anyone on this board. It’s a pretty huge deal.

Maybe we are all just shell shocked or numb. Maybe we are afraid to say anything.

« Reply #7385 on: October 17, 2023, 08:59:45 am »
I don't think there's much to say other than it's so fucked up and awful...
can confirm, not sure what my cometary would add here
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #7386 on: October 17, 2023, 09:02:13 am »

I had company all weekend, so my mind was on other things. The world is so fucked up that I just want to go to beer festivals and hikes in the woods and not thing about how fucked up it is. We did watch Bill Maher, and I thought the show did a good job of discussing it.

I don't pretend to understand anything about the Middle East, but my heart goes out to the people of Israel. Also, religions suck. Especially the ones that inspire hatred.

Also, I guess this means my daughter will probably stop asking me when are we going to take a vacation to Israel. At least for now.

Space Freely

« Reply #7387 on: October 17, 2023, 09:03:35 am »

It’s just weird not to have even had a single mention of it in the ten days after it happened by anyone on this board. It’s a pretty huge deal.

Maybe we are all just shell shocked or numb. Maybe we are afraid to say anything.

Maybe we just think that whatever we say on an internet message board read by tens of people isn't going to make any difference anyway...

Yada

« Reply #7388 on: October 17, 2023, 09:04:39 am »

but my heart goes out to the people of Israel Palestine. Also, religions suck.

Space Freely

« Reply #7389 on: October 17, 2023, 09:06:11 am »
If you do want to talk about it, you can go over the DC Urban Moms. 563 pages of discussion in 10 days.

https://www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/posts/list/1160327.page

hutch

« Reply #7390 on: October 17, 2023, 11:41:05 am »

If this has happened anywhere else in the world pretty sure I would have seen some posts. People expressing sorrow…concern…anything

But I didn’t post anything either…

On a per capita basis what happened to Israel is the equivalent of if on September 11th the United States had lost 370,000 people. Maybe people can’t process the scope.

But it’s odd that when the Paris attacks happened there was quite a reaction around these parts and here….nothing.

On the other hand maybe it’s because the scale is so much bigger here we are shocked and just don’t know what to say.

Maybe we expect terrorism in Israel?

It’s weird…even in my own house I don’t talk about it much with Tiffiny. I have a much more pro Israel position than her so we find it better not to talk about it. I wouldn’t say she is not pro Israel just that she is a lot more concerned about the Palestinians. I think the Palestinians in Gaza have the government they want. I don’t believe Hamas are dictators ruling Gaza against the will of the people.

« Reply #7391 on: October 17, 2023, 11:54:00 am »
what happened to Israel is the equivalent of if on September 11th
agreed

Maybe we expect terrorism in Israel?
sadly yes

I think the Palestinians in Gaza have the government they want. I don’t believe Hamas are dictators ruling Gaza against the will of the people.
Well, I do think this is more complicated
Hamas was given tons of money from Iran, so they could do things like run the gov't, build schools/hospitals and feed the people...how could you not support a regime that was helping like that? 

I think most are just trying to get by without dying

If Hamas didn't get so much external funding, I think things would be different

What I don't think should be done is turn Gaza into a pile of rubble
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 11:56:18 am by eat their young-Hatchıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Yada

« Reply #7392 on: October 17, 2023, 12:00:54 pm »
It probably wasn't mentioned...

1. as it's pretty much on par for that part of the world to have attacks, bombings, deaths, etc. (think school shootings in the US)
2. It's a sensitive topic that I'm assuming jews on this board could easily be offended by potential opinions
3. No matter how fucked up the terrorist attack was on Israel, there is no way in hell a Gaza (population approximately two million people, with 50% basically kids) should be erradicated from the map. To me, this is no different than being anti war during Afghanistan or Iraq. Why does Israel have the right to ruin an entire country due to a terrorist attack?
4. Do you not have a heart for dozens of videos of babes and children limbless, blown to bits, etc!!! Once again, not anti Israel or saying what happened to israel last week wasn't completely fucked up.

hutch

« Reply #7394 on: October 17, 2023, 12:27:32 pm »
Well I wasn’t against targeting al qaeda in Afghanistan. I was against the “war”. I was against war in the case of Iraq.

It’s above my pay grade to say Israel should do this or that….. But I believe their number one job -and by that I mean the job of their government- is to keep their people safe.

There are no easy answers unfortunately.

Israel is surrounded by people who hate them, wish to destroy them and present an existential threat to their survival, talk up the plight of the Palestinians but do nothing for them AND as if that wasn’t enough carry the legacy of the Holocaust where millions of Jews - sometimes thought of as having been too passive- where killed while almost the entirety of the world at best looked away and at worse knowingly acquiesced. You better believe all of that is going to impact their decision making. And you better believe the calculus is going to be a bit different than that of the US with respect to a terrorist act originated thousands of miles away.