Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1902757 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2670 on: March 22, 2013, 01:42:18 pm »
I <3 The Economist:

And stretch

Lululemon, a maker of fabulously pricey yoga wear, issued a recall for its women?s black Luon bottoms because of a high ?level of sheerness? that was too revealing. It warned there would be a shortage of the pants in its stores, presumably because men were rushing out to buy them for their wives and girlfriends.

didn't realize the shadowy economist editors are cuckolds...
(o|o)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2671 on: March 22, 2013, 01:49:33 pm »
I <3 The Economist:

And stretch

Lululemon, a maker of fabulously pricey yoga wear, issued a recall for its women?s black Luon bottoms because of a high ?level of sheerness? that was too revealing. It warned there would be a shortage of the pants in its stores, presumably because men were rushing out to buy them for their wives and girlfriends.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lululemon-puns-are-completely-out-of-control-2013-3

vansmack

27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2673 on: March 25, 2013, 01:11:52 pm »
Holy sh!t!  The Yankees are about to take the Vernon Wells Albatross off the Angels hands...

They are really in desperate straights in the Bronx...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2674 on: March 26, 2013, 01:53:43 pm »
cool didn't realize there was a new HTC in the pipeline, and it's a bit odd the HTC One is the replacement for the HTC One X+... silly marketing departments...

T-Mobile announced today that the HTC One will be available late April and the S4 will be available May 1, so I expect other carriers will have availability about the same.

As part of their "UNcarrier Model", they've also split the cost of service and the cost of the phone, which is something brilliant but most American's will overlook as they've never correctly identified part of their bill as being payment towards a subsidized phone.

The HTC One and S4 can be had for a $99 down-payment and $20 a month for 24 months ($579 total).  You have the option of adding T-Mobile service off contract to that for varying ranges of use from between $50-$70.  Separating these costs means if you pay off the phone early, your total bill goes down, or if you want to change to at&t you can bring the phone with you, though you will still have to pay off the phone.

Anyone who's lived in Europe will understand this model.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2675 on: March 27, 2013, 11:01:58 am »
Interesting development, wonder how it will play out over time...
T.Rex

atomicfront

« Reply #2676 on: March 27, 2013, 11:14:55 am »
cool didn't realize there was a new HTC in the pipeline, and it's a bit odd the HTC One is the replacement for the HTC One X+... silly marketing departments...

T-Mobile announced today that the HTC One will be available late April and the S4 will be available May 1, so I expect other carriers will have availability about the same.

As part of their "UNcarrier Model", they've also split the cost of service and the cost of the phone, which is something brilliant but most American's will overlook as they've never correctly identified part of their bill as being payment towards a subsidized phone.

The HTC One and S4 can be had for a $99 down-payment and $20 a month for 24 months ($579 total).  You have the option of adding T-Mobile service off contract to that for varying ranges of use from between $50-$70.  Separating these costs means if you pay off the phone early, your total bill goes down, or if you want to change to at&t you can bring the phone with you, though you will still have to pay off the phone.

Anyone who's lived in Europe will understand this model.

Well this paln still sucks as you can buy your phone from virgin mobile and get an unlimited text and internet and phone service for 35 a month.  Just buy your phone.  If you can't afford to buy a phone than you can't afford 90 bucks a month.

vansmack

« Reply #2677 on: March 27, 2013, 11:36:11 am »
Well this paln still sucks as you can buy your phone from virgin mobile and get an unlimited text and internet and phone service for 35 a month.  Just buy your phone.  If you can't afford to buy a phone than you can't afford 90 bucks a month.

If you're not a power user (i.e., don't mind a phone that's a year old, is underpowered compared to today's top of the line phones and might not get software updates that aren't security threats), and have strong Sprint coverage in your area, than yes, Virgin Mobile is a great choice.  Just keep in mind that you have no roaming, no international coverage and your phone is locked to Virgin Mobile.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2678 on: March 27, 2013, 12:44:32 pm »
Holy sh!t!  The Yankees are about to take the Vernon Wells Albatross off the Angels hands...

The Yankees are paying $14 million of Wells remaining $42 million.  Might seem arbitrary to some, but it's spread out with $11.5 million this year and $2.4 million next year.  Why the discrepancy?  That's exactly the amount the Angels need to be under the luxury tax threashold this year.  Two low level players were also exchanged, but they're inconsequential to this salary dump.

Damn, I want to be a GM some day.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2679 on: March 28, 2013, 04:47:36 pm »
This is Legit.

It's starts on Thursday at 10:30 on FX.  The first episode is a story of Jim helping his childhood friend with Muscular Dystrophy accomplish his one last dying wish.

Should be a heart warming affair. 

i can only hope that the TV version of the story holds up to the stand-up version, 'cause the latter is a masterpiece.  based on that little preview it might be some tough sledding.  i'll still be watching.

It was just picked up for a second season, presumably after how artfully they handled the disability olympics.

Get ready for Gunta.....
27>34

atomicfront

« Reply #2680 on: March 28, 2013, 05:54:20 pm »

If you're not a power user (i.e., don't mind a phone that's a year old, is underpowered compared to today's top of the line phones and might not get software updates that aren't security threats), and have strong Sprint coverage in your area, than yes, Virgin Mobile is a great choice.  Just keep in mind that you have no roaming, no international coverage and your phone is locked to Virgin Mobile.

Galaxy II-S isn't underpowered.  I have never had any trouble getting service anywhere I have been in the US.  Yeah I don't have coverage in europe but I haven't had the need for a cell phone the two times in the past year that I have been in europe.  And I wonder how much of Iceland even has cell phone coverage.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2681 on: March 28, 2013, 07:34:12 pm »
so i have the galaxy s two phone.  i know that the whatever number version is about to come out within six months that can read your mind and tell you when youre supposed to think about what you are thinking about, but this is about my phone:  the samsung galaxy s two that came out . . . two to three years ago?  well anyway, it does the strangest thing, and others around me say that theirs does it too.  i deleted my old email off my phone after a job transfer switcharoo, and set up my new account.  gmail based.  set up fine with correct port numbers and all that.  i get my emails, but if i open them and then close the email app, the next time i open my email, the emails ive opend are gone off my phone, not my account, just my phone.  i f i dont open the email, it stays there.  never had that happen.  tried every setting, every change that should be telling me that no emails will be deletec unless i delete them, but it does what it wants.  plus the wireless comes on whenever it wants, and it does do that restart and shut off then reboot itself back, for no reason, but that is rare.  ive been told just replace your battery.  is it that simple?  thank you tech gigolos.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:45:41 pm by walkonby »

vansmack

« Reply #2682 on: March 28, 2013, 08:50:53 pm »
Galaxy II-S isn't underpowered. 

Go back and read what I said.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

You see, I said "compared to today's top of the line phones" but just to humor you, the average lifespan of a phone is 18-24 months, and by lifespan I mean support and updates.

The GSII came out in May 2011, or almost 2 years ago.  We're 30 days from the GS4 coming out...

It will never see the next iteration of Android, likely called Key Lime Pie.  Some versions of it will never see Jelly Bean (Virgin might be in this boat).  So sadly, in the last 4 months you likely dropped about $350-$300 on a phone that's as good as it's going to get, will stop seeing software updates (thus will not be able to take advantage of the new features of Android) and eventually developer updates will not work on your phone because devs don't support phones that are two years old.

But hey, if you think it's powerful enough for you, that's all that matters.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2683 on: March 28, 2013, 08:54:08 pm »
so i have the galaxy s two phone. 

So walky, are you checking email with the Gmail app or the Samsung supplied email app?  If it's the GMail app, let me know what version it is.

If it's the Samsung Mail app, I can't be much help - I don't have any phones that use TouchWiz, Samsungs version of Android.

And also, sometimes after a large update, nothing is better for your phone than a Factory Reset.  I do these all the time when beta software breaks my phone.
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2684 on: March 29, 2013, 09:59:22 am »
TouchWiz, Samsungs version of Android.

TouchWiz - just rolls off the tongue...
(o|o)