Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901250 times)

Yada

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #3615 on: August 21, 2015, 12:03:55 pm »
They can't... the last thing you want to do is run your record player through a Sonos device.
Can you expand your thoughts on that? Smackie seems pretty hyped on Sonos and not being able to add a turntable to it would be a deal breaker for me.

You can.  Yada chooses not to.

Yada, is your SONOS Play:1, 3, 5 or Soundbar+Sub and how many are in your collection?

At this time, I don't use any Sonos speakers, just Sonos connect.

vansmack

« Reply #3616 on: August 21, 2015, 12:07:35 pm »
At this time, I don't use any Sonos speakers, just Sonos connect.

Thank you.  No more questions your honor.
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3617 on: August 21, 2015, 12:14:40 pm »
OK, Smacks, I actually did a fair amount of reading about this last night. I think I like the modest entry option and piecemeal out additional speakers as I decide to expand the thing.

To get started, I think I'm going to get the Sonos Soundbar and a connect. The connect will work with that receiver you're giving away, yes? And then I can just take my currently existing turntable and buy a component CD player and hook them up to the receiver and would be able to play the music in the TV room too, right?

Can I have the amp both hooked up to the Connect and my current speakers at the same time?

Then, if I want a few months down the road, I can get actual Sonos speakers for each room? I'm still a little confused on which of the 1, 3, 5 models to get, and how many I need for each room. I saw somewhere that 2 3-series and a soundbar replicates 5.1 surround sound?
LVMH

« Reply #3618 on: August 21, 2015, 01:45:24 pm »
what's your bill rate for audio consultation?
slack

« Reply #3619 on: August 21, 2015, 02:01:44 pm »
I just offered to loan him my champagne handbag this morning for his upcoming polo match as a thank you!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:03:53 pm by Julian, Verified SHITLORD »
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

« Reply #3621 on: August 21, 2015, 03:38:44 pm »
FYI...all the sonos stuff for $1200
slack

Yada

« Reply #3622 on: August 21, 2015, 03:40:39 pm »
I just offered to loan him my champagne handbag this morning for his upcoming polo match as a thank you!

Hopefully you have better taste in handbags than your david byrne-esque insurance guy suits!

« Reply #3623 on: August 21, 2015, 03:43:07 pm »
Hopefully you have better taste in handbags than your david byrne-esque insurance guy suits!
It's quite nice. If you were encyclopedic in your recollection of the original Julian's America thread, you'd know what it looks like already.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3624 on: August 21, 2015, 03:47:52 pm »
To get started, I think I'm going to get the Sonos Soundbar and a connect. The connect will work with that receiver you're giving away, yes?

Yes.

And then I can just take my currently existing turntable and buy a component CD player and hook them up to the receiver and would be able to play the music in the TV room too, right?

No.  You should sell all of your CD's, but yes, your turntable will hook up to it.  And if you ignored the first part of that sentence, then yes, a component CD player will also hook up to it.

Can I have the amp both hooked up to the Connect and my current speakers at the same time?

This one is interesting.  Yes they can both be hooked up, but can they play simultaneously?

I'll have to check the back of the tuner.  What you would like is for the wired speakers in the Parlor to play at the same time as the wireless speakers in the TV room?  If that's the case, then the tuner will need a dedicated out (RCA Jacks) that we will plug in to the Connect.  Dedicated outs were common during tapedeck days for recording, but I'm not sure on this particular tuner.  I'll have to look at the back of the unit when I return home on Sunday, but I'm sure I can make something work.   

Then, if I want a few months down the road, I can get actual Sonos speakers for each room? I'm still a little confused on which of the 1, 3, 5 models to get, and how many I need for each room. I saw somewhere that 2 3-series and a soundbar replicates 5.1 surround sound?

Yes, you can mix and match the Sonos speakers as you see fit.  I have gone with the soundbar and 2 Play:1's for my surround sound in my TV Room and will be adding a separate Play:3 or Play:5 for the bedroom, which can be moved to the kitchen or the backyard as we see fit.

I think 2 Play:3's with the soundbar would be over kill for 5.1, but can you really ever have too much sound?
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3625 on: August 21, 2015, 03:48:29 pm »

For friends, I only work for food and drink.
27>34

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3626 on: August 21, 2015, 03:51:04 pm »

You know I've been wondering who he was emulating.  I hadn't thought of David Byrne.  I was more in the Richard Cheese or Les Nessman camp.

« Reply #3627 on: August 21, 2015, 03:55:38 pm »
No.  You should sell all of your CD's,
I will do no such thing.

This one is interesting.  Yes they can both be hooked up, but can they play simultaneously?

I'll have to check the back of the tuner.  What you would like is for the wired speakers in the Parlor to play at the same time as the wireless speakers in the TV room?  If that's the case, then the tuner will need a dedicated out (RCA Jacks) that we will plug in to the Connect.  Dedicated outs were common during tapedeck days for recording, but I'm not sure on this particular tuner.  I'll have to look at the back of the unit when I return home on Sunday, but I'm sure I can make something work. 

I don't think I would actually use them simultaneously. The wired speakers are just a stop gap until I buy a 3 or 5 for the room.

I have gone with the soundbar and 2 Play:1's for my surround sound in my TV Room and will be adding a separate Play:3 or Play:5 for the bedroom, which can be moved to the kitchen or the backyard as we see fit.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm negotiating with a guy who has a pair of unopened 1's on craigslist right now.

Do the speakers have any sort of battery whatsoever or do they have to be plugged in at all times during use? My deck has no outlet.

Let me know what you want to ship the amp.
LVMH

« Reply #3628 on: August 21, 2015, 03:58:24 pm »
You know I've been wondering who he was emulating.  I hadn't thought of David Byrne.  I was more in the Richard Cheese or Les Nessman camp.
I was going for Billy Eichner (loud, shrill, half insulting everything) crossed with Art Mann (an actual attempt at pretending hanging out with freaks is "journalism").
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3629 on: August 21, 2015, 04:00:29 pm »
Do the speakers have any sort of battery whatsoever or do they have to be plugged in at all times during use? My deck has no outlet.

They do not have a portable sonos speaker yet, no.  Because they all have at least one amp that needs to be powered, they all need to be plugged in to a power source to operate.

This is the #1 request in the community right now and Sonos has been pretty steadfast that doing so with current technology would degrade the sound quality to a level they are not comfortable with.

A competitor has done it though.
27>34