Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1927961 times)

walk,on,by

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #3585 on: August 13, 2015, 10:19:53 pm »
for ten dollars a month, those new ads better blow me.

vansmack

« Reply #3586 on: August 14, 2015, 07:56:09 pm »
Perhaps the only vertical video I've ever liked:

https://vimeo.com/135475344
27>34

Yada

« Reply #3587 on: August 17, 2015, 03:06:53 pm »
thoughts on curved vs. flat screen?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3588 on: August 17, 2015, 04:03:08 pm »
LED screens have poor viewing angles.  Curved screens were really meant to combat this, but mostly its a gimmick.  I wouldn't consider getting a curved screen if you generally have a normal setup and sit in front of your screen.

vansmack

« Reply #3589 on: August 17, 2015, 04:05:29 pm »
thoughts on curved vs. flat screen?

I'm fairly neutral on the issue.  I don't see the advantage in the TV size I have (50-55 inches) but could see it at, say, 70 inches.

Large crowds struggle with them as the viewing angles are narrow, but if you're the one guy sitting dead center I can see the feeling of being "wrapped in" to what you're watching.

I don't think the technology justifies the price increase, but they do look cool as hell.  I also hear that if you're a 3D person, it's the only way to go - I, however, am not a 3D person. 
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3590 on: August 18, 2015, 06:22:33 pm »
Hackers Post some of the Ashley Madison Data

Just in case your name is on the list....
27>34

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3591 on: August 20, 2015, 11:55:18 am »
I'm so hyped to get my new TV delivered on Saturday!

I worked an absolute steal by getting them to price match a sketchy online price at 859.99, then using Jaded's 10% mover's coupon (thanks!), then pre-buying the total in Best Buy gift cards from Cardpool.com at 94 cents on the dollar. Actual financial layout with tax $767.58. I've never basked in being cheap before. It feels weird.

I might need soundsystem advice, Smackie, I went small and came in way under budget.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3592 on: August 20, 2015, 12:09:36 pm »
Here's the calibration settings used by rtings for their review:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/vizio/m-series-2015/settings

« Reply #3593 on: August 20, 2015, 12:11:24 pm »
Here's the calibration settings used by rtings for their review:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/vizio/m-series-2015/settings
I have no idea what that means! But thanks!
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3594 on: August 20, 2015, 12:14:33 pm »
Good choice.  I know the excited feeling you're experiencing...

I actually have an Insignia 6.1 channel receiver that I'm happy to donate to you - you would just cover shipping.  No HDMI ports on it, but coaxial digital and TOSLINK digital ports so it works well with the Samsung TV's, which are loaded with HDMI ports.

I also am selling a set of Energy RC Micro speakers (2 front, 2 rear, 1 center + powered subwoofer). I LOVE LOVE LOVE these little speakers, but sadly have been told that I cannot use them in our new house (no holes, no wires).  I leveraged that strong opinion for the SONOS upgrade, but will still miss these guys.     

If you're interested, let me know.

Otherwise, you've got some decisions to make based mostly on how you consume your music.  Are you mostly digital now?  What other components do you need to play your collection?  HOw do you consume video?  I'll need to know this info before offering suggestions.
27>34

« Reply #3595 on: August 20, 2015, 12:26:03 pm »
Hmm. Well, I have both a TV room and a parlor and the parlor is where I generally listen to music, it's where I keep my CDs and vinyl.

In my TV room, on the rare occasions I listen to music, I have my entire collection digitized and play them thru the TiVo which has a music app, through my TV's speakers currently. (I know, you're clutching your pearls.) Ideally, I would like to be able to play actual CDs and vinyl in the TV room as well through a soundsystem. I would like my TV/blu-ray to feed into the soundsystem as well. It is a very oddly shaped room and I cannot drill so ideally wireless. This does not need to be anywhere close to a top of the line setup, as I am surviving on TV speakers currently.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm only interested in updating the TV room. The parlor's sound setup is already great.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:28:24 pm by Julian, Verified SHITLORD »
LVMH

« Reply #3596 on: August 20, 2015, 12:30:14 pm »
I actually have an Insignia 6.1 channel receiver that I'm happy to donate to you - you would just cover shipping.  No HDMI ports on it, but coaxial digital and TOSLINK digital ports so it works well with the Samsung TV's, which are loaded with HDMI ports.
I... probably want this? I'm not clear how I could get my TV and blu-ray to play through it sans HDMI connections, though.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3597 on: August 20, 2015, 12:36:39 pm »
I... probably want this? I'm not clear how I could get my TV and blu-ray to play through it sans HDMI connections, though.

Do you have a TV in the parlor as well?
27>34

« Reply #3598 on: August 20, 2015, 12:37:02 pm »

Do you have a TV in the parlor as well?
No, the parlor is a tv-free sitting room. I have a TV in my bedroom and guestroom but not trying to hook them into any speaker systems.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3599 on: August 20, 2015, 12:49:27 pm »
EDIT: To clarify, I'm only interested in updating the TV room. The parlor's sound setup is already great.

You have a receiver in there?  That would make it a lot easier. 
27>34