Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3242865 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4815 on: August 27, 2014, 12:47:49 pm »
Speaking of growlers, OTWOA on draft at DC Brau this Saturday.

Forum meetup?

James Ford

« Reply #4816 on: August 27, 2014, 12:54:21 pm »
Has anybody ever been th Tired Hands up near Philly?

fatskippy

« Reply #4817 on: August 27, 2014, 01:02:33 pm »
I have this growler from the portland growler company
http://i.imgur.com/DXupUG6.jpg

and this one from hydro flask
http://i.imgur.com/pxNlq9n.png

The hydro flask can keep the beer cold all day without needing to be refrigerated. I looked into that drink tanks growler when I was buying the hydro flask, but reviews said the first beer usually came out very foamy. It seems too gimmicky. A growler is easy enough to just pour and I usually finish them the same day.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4818 on: August 27, 2014, 02:23:10 pm »
I have this growler from the portland growler company
http://i.imgur.com/DXupUG6.jpg

that's a dang pretty beer vessel right there.

i inherited a Starr Hill growler, identical to this one but with the brewery's logo on it:

i really like the seal that the rubber gasket creates.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4819 on: August 27, 2014, 02:26:02 pm »
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4820 on: September 03, 2014, 09:14:02 am »
x-post:

!!! w/Brett
Snallygaster beer festival
navy yards, DC
sept 13
http://www.snallygasterdc.com/
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4821 on: September 03, 2014, 09:31:24 am »
I'm heading to Boulder/Denver next week, and I'm overwhelmed with choices.  Any "must-visit" recommendations?  I prefer to stay on the Boulder side of things, but am willing to travel to Denver if there's a compelling reason.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4822 on: September 03, 2014, 09:34:03 am »
james ford gave a complete run-down of his CO trip a few weeks back, so scroll back a dozen pages or so in this thread and you'll have a ton of recommendations.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #4823 on: September 03, 2014, 09:53:54 am »
My must hits:

Denver:

1. Crooked Stave Tasting Room (if you like sours)
2. Hops and Pie Restaurant (if you like great food/pizza to pair with your beer from a great draft list)
3. Thirsty Monk Belgian Cafe (if you like the best Belgian beers (actually from Belgium) at half price for lunch)
4. Freshcraft (excellent food/draft list, good happy hour specials)
5. Dry Dock Brewing (very good at a  number of styles, a bit out of the city proper)

*also if you do go to Denver, check the Falling Rock draft list. Which unfortunately gets update no plae online

Arvada:
1. Yak and Yeti Brewpub/Restaurant (if you like an outstanding IPA paired with excellent spicy Indian food)

Fort Collins:
1. New Belgium Brewery (if you like an outstanding, entertaining tour with plenty of free samples...note, tours fill up way in advance, book ahead...not many brewery only options though, and NB is of course widely distrusted around here)
2. Odell Brewery (if you like a cool tasting room with loads of interesting choices that don't get bottled (actually none of their bottles make it to the East Coast)
3. Funkwerks Brewery (if you like saisons...definitely the third choice for Ft Collins, but if you go there you might as well do this one too)

Boulder:
Actually, I have no "must hits" here. I was very sick the day we were in Boulder, so I'm biased because of that. Avery Brewery is probably your best bet. Comparable to Odell, though I liked Avery less. People rave about Backcounty Pizza...Excellent draft list but the pizza was mediocre.

More details in post from mid-July.

I'm heading to Boulder/Denver next week, and I'm overwhelmed with choices.  Any "must-visit" recommendations?  I prefer to stay on the Boulder side of things, but am willing to travel to Denver if there's a compelling reason.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4824 on: September 03, 2014, 10:01:02 am »
the tour and tasting room at Avery get rave reviews.  their beers might not be #1, but at least it will be an aesthetically pleasing experience (could be a big plus if you're dragging along non-beer geeks).
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4825 on: September 03, 2014, 11:12:25 am »
I had forgotten about the CO trip summary upthread.  Sorry about the repeat.  I'll be going out there for work, so I'll be limited to evenings...  Thanks for the recommendations!

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #4826 on: September 03, 2014, 01:16:35 pm »
Others to hit in Boulder:

Sanitas
Fate
Upslope
Bru

And in Lafayette:  Post

James Ford

« Reply #4827 on: September 04, 2014, 08:15:04 am »
One thought I had about Avery (and maybe some of these as well) is that you'd need a car or cab to get there from downtown. If you're looking for something near the downtown pedestrian mall, Mountain Sun would probably be a good bet (though I didn't make it there myself).

Others to hit in Boulder:

Sanitas
Fate
Upslope
Bru

And in Lafayette:  Post

Yada

James Ford

« Reply #4829 on: September 04, 2014, 03:05:16 pm »